Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I got 4 booster packs today and was fairly impressed (and lucky) with the pull. I got an IS-2, T34/85, Rhino, and Chaffee along with 1 Pak40 and 3 M5's.

BUT WHAT WENT WRONG IN QC? gulp The M5 sculpt is about the size of a PIAT gun, when it reality it should be about the same size as the Pak40. Also, the Pak40 is mounted on the largest base I've seen in the set and bigger than even the PIAT gunner, which is in turn bigger than the bases for other similar sized figures. The base on the Pak40 pratically takes up an entire hex. But there's no excuse for the scale on the M5 3" gun. yuk This need to be fixed and made right by Wizards/Hasbro through some type of exchange program. The scale should be 15mm as advertised. It's currently about 1/285th for the M5. Something obviously went wrong.angry

On the good side of the set, I'm seeing better paint jobs on the figures with more camo schemes. The Rhino has a nice weathered look to it. Also, in 4 packs I got a total of 12 tanks. That's pretty good at an average of 3 per pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The M5 sculpt is about the size of a PIAT gun, when it reality it should be about the same size as the Pak40.

At least they recognise a mistake has been made; see the last bit of this interview:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20051122d

I haven't seen any in real life yet (my FLGS says 2006 for Set II), but if they're as bad as you say, then I'd agree that an exchange program would be in order.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did read the article when it first came out prior to this set's release. There's no mention as to a fix for this problem yet for the customer. The same thing happened on set 1 with the M18 Hellcat which is sculpted too large (probably closer to a 10mm scale).

Of course despite my frustration and knowing it was a problem, it didn't stop me from diving into purchasing this set as well. It's still a great game with good figures that plays fast.

I'm just hoping their QC will get better as new sets are released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They do admit to the M5 3" gun error in their interview. Apparently I missed the earlier admission about the M18 being too big. Actually, in "miniature wargamer" terms, the M18 looks to match the "15mm" minis being marketed by several manufacturers serving miniatures gamers. The "normal" A&A minis are smaller than "standard 15s." Most of my metal "15s" scale to about 1/1-5-1/110 scale; the A&A minis are about 1/130. This is really obvious when you compare the fifty-caliber on the M18 with the same M2 fifty on the "Easy Eight" Sherman.

This was quite a disappointment as I have a large metal 15mm collection I was looking to supplement. It's probably inevitable that in a big range there will be some blunders. The M5 gun is truly bizarre--much more glaring than the M18.

However, there are other blunders as well. The bogie wheels on the Archer are larger than those on the Valentine; both vehicles used the same chassis. Evidently different sculptors are at work and are not consulting. There is also a significant difference between the Nashorn and the Panzer IV/F2--again, same chassis, but the Nashorn is smaller by at least 10%.

I'm wondering whether the new German AT gun is actually in the wrong scale as well--it matches up well to my metal 15's and seems immense compared to everything else in A&A Minis--even the "88" on the Nashorn doesn't look big enough by comparison.

I agree with the comment elsewhere about the need for more informed marketing. They also need somebody with miniatures experience dealing with quality control instead of some sequestered sculptor who just turns out game pieces as requested.

Last gripe: a Flamingo? A Flamingo as UNCOMMON?! Sheesh, I'd rather see an Pz I as Uncommon than a Flamingo, for crying out loud. It's the "SIG 33" of the second set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.