Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some people say the game can take a long time to play, especially for new players. It seems that one way to shorten the game is to reduce the starting life points of the mages. I've only read through the rules once. Is there any reason why this would't work?

And to be clear I'm not saying this needs to be done, but am just wondering if it is a viable option, especially for the first few learning games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice, both with new players, both times were right around 3 hours.
Reducing the life points may make it go faster but the majority of the time spent (I believe) will still be in the choosing of cards to play on your turn and in the rule book looking up traits and effects, and double-checking rules.. One you have the rules down, the gameplay is actually quite fast as long as you don't take a long time picking cards.

But overall, it probably will reduce the time - no worries on doing so from my view. I'd say maybe do half-health ? it could probably be over pretty quickly though if one mage went all offense right out the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that reducing the points avialable to build your deck would be very effective in reducing your play time - would force you to focus on your strategy and just make it simpler to pick your spells each turn from a reduced pool of cards. Probably reduce the life points as well initially and build up both deck and life points as you become more familiar with the system and the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment from experience - I've just ordered the game and am hoping it arrives before the weekend when I can teach some friends to play.

My plan is to use the 'apprentice' game, which cuts out the special abilities, drops life to 24, only uses half the board and uses much smaller spellbooks (all the info is in the files section here or the MW site).

It looks like a very good learning set-up to get the feel for the action economy and a solid selection of spells while cutting out stuff which can be added later (For example there's no no conjuration in any of the decks - so no walls, temples, spawnpoints).

Eta: I've just noticed there is one conjuration - the Beastmaster gets some Tanglevine to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Kiam Lim
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should just play the apprentice game with the apprentice decks for the first few games.

cheers!

zhiqian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

If you reduce the starting life, it wont be long before someone in your group discovers they can potentially dish out 10dmg+2burns (all 2-crit + full burn = true crit) on Turn 2 (facedown cheetah-speed, opponents moves 1)... then, 4 more damage (max roll) at the top of Turn 3. With the possibility of 2 Flameblasts (unavoidable) on Turn 3 for a potential Turn 3 win.

It would make for some VERY short games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still pretty confused by all the "this game takes too long" comments I see around these forums...

I have over a dozen games played at this point(not counting my 2 learning games at DiceTowerCon. They were using the Apprentice decks. And one of those games was a 2v2 match-up).

Only 1 of my matches took near this 3 hour mark mentioned from time to time. And I was the Priestess. I was learning my deck and, obviously, healed often. So that extended the game time.

My average playtime for the other ~10+ games I have played has been 90 minutes. We had 1-2 others that hit near 2 hours, but most of my games are done within 90.

I think, for the experience you are getting out of the game, that's an incredible playtime. Very deep, a lot of ebb and flow...

Just my 2 cents guys 'n' gals...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Williams
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zhiqian wrote:
You should just play the apprentice game with the apprentice decks for the first few games.

cheers!

zhiqian.

This right here is probably the best way to shorten the first few games. Like everybody has mentioned, the majority of the time spent when learning the game is during your planning phase when you're picking your spells to cast. Once you get a good feel for the spells, the game shouldn't take you longer than 90 mins unless you have some horrible AP going on.

The Warlock smoked my Beasmaster just the other day in less than 30 mins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

The Warlock smoked my Beasmaster just the other day in less than 30 mins.

Our group often debates whether Cheetah Speed should have Magebind or not. So many Powerful Openings... AND CHEAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made the argument in my group that Cheetah Speed is THE key Warlock card. That and teleport.

As for game time. I have 15 games in. Some vs new and others vs. experience players. Our average is now 90+ minutes. Several times games have gone well past that. I haven't hit the 3 hour mark lately but 2 is normal. Just the other night a player quit after 1.5 hours so we could start another before it was too late.

Justin: It isn't a big deal but the bottom line is CCG players want fast games and this game plays more like a short mini's game.

Some of us don't want to play long games, regardless of experience.

The box claimed an hour and the demo's went fast. But the game takes longer, no doubt about it. That is the issue.

Then, add to the fact, they are running 50 minute rounds in tournaments. With people building their own decks, how do you think that is going to go? Just saying.

Bottom line, to each their own. But some of us expected and wanted this game to be shorter. For me: At 90 minutes this game is good but can feel like it drags. At 45 I would love it as I would feel like it is fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another alternative to trying to shorten the game is to play with tournament guidelines, specifically the 50 minute time limit. If you force yourself to play within that time frame you will naturally start tailoring your builds and strategies to things that can win within the alloted time.

Just a suggestion and something I'm considering for my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will definitely do that, and we will keep the tie breaker in mind as part of that. The highest current life total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elder Basilisk
msg tools
The few games I've played with my friends have run long, so I've thought of a few ways I may want to try in order to deal with that.

First, the simple one is: if you want a quicker game, don't use strategies that make the game go long. Last game, I decided to experiment with a spawnpoint to see how it works. I then warded myself against a small creature rush with a gray angel and against big creatures with a magewand (with sleep). The defense worked well and could be fun in another context, but it took way longer than a more aggressive strategy would have taken. For the cost of my two clerics, mage wand, and spawnpoint, I could have summoned a pair of Knights of Westnoth. A more aggressive stance will generally result in a shorter game, so if you're going to complain about how long the game takes, don't adopt slow and cautious strategies.

The second strategy, I think I will try out is what's suggested above: using the tournament time limit. Play fast and don't insist on playing to the final life point. Whoever is ahead after 50 minutes wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koz1120 wrote:
Another alternative to trying to shorten the game is to play with tournament guidelines, specifically the 50 minute time limit. If you force yourself to play within that time frame you will naturally start tailoring your builds and strategies to things that can win within the alloted time.

Just a suggestion and something I'm considering for my games.

A bit off topic, but I keep seeing references to the tournament rules but have not seen this anywhere. Are they posted somewhere?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder_Basilisk wrote:

First, the simple one is: if you want a quicker game, don't use strategies that make the game go long.

The second strategy, I think I will try out is what's suggested above: using the tournament time limit. Play fast and don't insist on playing to the final life point. Whoever is ahead after 50 minutes wins.

See, this bothers me. The choice in tourney play is going to be don't use a large series of strategies, rush, or lock down.

It is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.