Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Injured /insane while LiTaS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xane Macahan
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Where do you go then? Do you return to Asylum/Hospital or do you stay LiTaS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterquestion. How do you get injured while LITAS? Cannot think of any effect that would cause this. But in case I'd say you return to Arkham Asylum/Hospital
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly can't think of a way to get injured there either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full Doom Track
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Hey Xane,

Barring special circumstances, the only way you will be sent to LiTaS is by being driven insane or unconscious in another world (such as Dreamlands). Now, there are many special circumstances that will force you to be LiTaS but it is important to remember that LiTaS isn't a part of Arkham, or anywhere for that matter. This means that things like the Chithonian's special attack do not affect investigators who are LiTaS (to my knowledge). Because of that, I can't think of a situation where you would suffer injury or insanity while being LiTaS specifically (although if there IS one, I'm sure someone on these boards will be quick to point it out). This means that you follow the rules for being driven insane or unconscious in another world (pg 16) of the rule book. Here's an example.

An investigator looses his last point of sanity during his exploration of Yuggoth. He discards 1/2 (rounded down) of his Items and Clue tokens immediately. He then restores himself to 1 sanity and places his investigator on its side in LiTaS. At this point he is delayed in LiTaS and looses his next turn, only standing his investigator up (remember LiTaS isn't part of Arkham and is like being inside a gate at least, according to my understanding).

From here on out our investigator follows the rules for LiTaS as it is written on page 17 of the rule book. After the turn (game round: Mythos to Mythos, essentially) completes and our investigator is standing straight up, he is able to choose which location in Arkham he would like to jump to. At this point it may be a wise idea for him to head for the Asylum. But if there is a more pressing matter that must be handled he can choose to return "to any location or street area."

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if I understood and answered your question correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got one. Solo Investigator, 3 or fewer sanity, LiTaS, and draws the "Horrifying Sight" Mythos card from Dunwich.

My solution would be LiTaS again, laid down if standing, otherwise no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would vote for "devoured". Just seems so thematic.

But according to rules as written now, LiTaS doesn't seems to be an other world, nor part of Arkham, so neither "going to LiTaS" nor "going to Asylum" would apply, unless I am missing something from FAQs...

Fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devoured is "fun"... and Arkham-y... but I think it's stretching the rules less to just extend the rules for OW to all Investigators not in Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur. Still I think I will house rule devoured for my group. Although I never see it coming up in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xane Macahan
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Clarification: This happened with the Dunwich Expansion. Mythos card that allowed the first player to choose one investigator to loose 3 sanity. He chose the one who was LiTaS and we didn't know what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xane Macahan
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Also, from now on I'll do it like you guys say unless some official clarification takes place. Like, can't select someone who's LiTaS or something. Thanks for the input though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
robobengt wrote:
Clarification: This happened with the Dunwich Expansion. Mythos card that allowed the first player to choose one investigator to loose 3 sanity. He chose the one who was LiTaS and we didn't know what to do.

I would say that he receives the penalties of being driven insane, one of which being lost in time in space. Since he is already there that part of the penalty would not apply to him except for being delayed if he wasn't already.

It is similar to being cursed or blessed when you are already cursed or blessed or choosing a target who the effects wouldn't apply to, e.g. cursing Wendy, Choosing Sister Mary to be LiTaS, choosing Mark Harrington to be arrested, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I understood how the Cthonian worked (only affecting investigators in Arkham), I had this happen to an investigator. I kept that investigator LinT&S.

My reasoning was that if you're already LinT&S, how is getting knocked out going to propel you back to Arkham? No one is going to call the hospital to have an ambulance sent out to pick you up. I don't think getting knocked out was designed to be a condition with a reward attached.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack M
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
robobengt wrote:

I would argue that you cannot choose the investigator who is LiTaS. To me, any investigator in LiTaS does not exist for the purposes of the game until he's no longer LiTaS. This would probably count as a house rule though; I don't think that's an official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Got one. Solo Investigator, 3 or fewer sanity, LiTaS, and draws the "Horrifying Sight" Mythos card from Dunwich.

My solution would be LiTaS again, laid down if standing, otherwise no effect.

Yes, that's a good example. Definitely leads to a small gap in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woody
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Counter question to all of this. If you get knocked unconscious or driven insane while in another world and playing with the Dunwich Horror expansion, can you still take an injury or madness card (which would then put you in the hospital or asylum)?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We allow investigators to take an Injury or Madness card, but they still go to LiTaS as normal. The only thing Injury/Madness cards do is keep you from losing items/clues, and let you restore your Sanity/Stamina back to maximum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stevens
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
We allow investigators to take an Injury or Madness card, but they still go to LiTaS as normal. The only thing Injury/Madness cards do is keep you from losing items/clues, and let you restore your Sanity/Stamina back to maximum.

DH rules pg 6:
Injury and Madness
When an investigator is reduced to 0 Stamina, he may
choose to gain an Injury card. If he does this, he does not
lose any items or Clue tokens for being knocked unconscious,
and his Stamina is restored to its maximum value
instead of to 1. However, the investigator must still move
to either St. Mary’s Hospital or Lost in Time and Space,
as appropriate.

Same applies if you are driven insane, you either go to the asylum or LiTaS. So I agree with anoirtrou.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a note, we house rule that players have no choice, and must always take a madness/injury card. It speeds up play, and is quite more thematic than "losing half your stuff".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't go to the hospital/asylum to have your injury/madness "installed" - the cards reflect the consequences of your experiences - so why would you need to go to hospital/asylum at all? Sure, you could say that you get treatment for the worst effects of your affliction at the appropriate institution, but then how does that work for LiTaS?

So I play it by the rules at the moment, but it makes more sense to me to ignore the hospital/asylum when using injury/madness. Of course, if the Investigator chooses to lose half his/her stuff then s/he can go to hospital/asylum. Sometimes that's the better option - for a number of reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xane Macahan
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
You don't go to the hospital/asylum to have your injury/madness "installed" - the cards reflect the consequences of your experiences - so why would you need to go to hospital/asylum at all? Sure, you could say that you get treatment for the worst effects of your affliction at the appropriate institution, but then how does that work for LiTaS?

Disagree on the reasoning behind this. If you get knocked unconscious (which is what being reduced to zero stamina represents) someone obviously comes and drags you to the hospital where they treat you. That's when you notice the injury you sustained.
But you don't get to ignore the injury just because you can't go to hospital. (And vice versa for sanity/madness) That's how I see it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robobengt wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Disagree on the reasoning behind this. If you get knocked unconscious (which is what being reduced to zero stamina represents) someone obviously comes and drags you to the hospital where they treat you. That's when you notice the injury you sustained.
But you don't get to ignore the injury just because you can't go to hospital. (And vice versa for sanity/madness) That's how I see it anyway.
Disagree with the reasoning behind this. It is inconsistent with what happens when you go LiTaS. But I'm not setting out to convince anybody, just airing my thoughts. After all, it's a board game not a simulation. Pick your own thematic justifications to suit your preferences. As I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full Doom Track
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Injury/Madness cards have always been a choice in our circle of gamers. From what I can tell, that is what is closest to the rules.

To address the most recent line of reasoning; if you have a broken arm, you go to the hospital to get it treated. Simple as that. If you don't want to loose your stuff, then the broken arm has lasting effects. Sure it doesn't make thematic or realistic sense but it balances the game and gives investigators the option of a choice instead of sitting there saying, "Well, I guess I loose half of all my really awesome stuff!". That's why the choice is important, at least to me.

I think that the other house rules that have been mentioned here are actually really interesting. It's cool to see different variants and lines of reasoning behind them here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Full Doom Track wrote:
Injury/Madness cards have always been a choice in our circle of gamers. From what I can tell, that is what is closest to the rules.

To address the most recent line of reasoning; if you have a broken arm, you go to the hospital to get it treated. Simple as that. If you don't want to loose your stuff, then the broken arm has lasting effects. Sure it doesn't make thematic or realistic sense but it balances the game and gives investigators the option of a choice instead of sitting there saying, "Well, I guess I loose half of all my really awesome stuff!". That's why the choice is important, at least to me.

!

I can see it making some thematic sense. Instead of just giving into being beat senseless, curling up into a ball or just passing out, you fight tooth and nail to hold onto what you have. Pushing yourself beyond the limit is what causes you to take a permanent injury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.