Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Which Imp list should I run? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
So these are the two lists I think I like the most after playing around with them a bit:

Darth Vader Squad Leader, Cluster Missles
Backstabber
Howlrunner Determination
Mauler Mithel Determination
Academy Pilot

Darth Vader
Howlrunner
Mauler Mithel
Academy Pilot x3

Though looking at the 2nd list, thinking maybe replacing Mauler with Backstabber and throw Determination in there with that 1 point.

Even with that change, I think I'm leaning more towards the first list.

What are your thoughts and why?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. Tony Melton
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you tell us what how many of each type of Imp ship you own? Might help weed out lists you can't field with your collection. =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of those are dandy lists. Personally, I'd replace the Cluster Missiles with Concussion Missiles. Swapping the two Determinations for a Squad Leader on Vader is another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Vader has squad leader already. And I have one Tie advanced and 5 Ties, though I can get more ships if needed so that isn't really a concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swarm Tactics on Vader is another option. Personally, I like Squad Leader for its flexibility, but tourney players seem to prefer Tactics because it lets them choose the firing order, which can be clutch.

I've had a lot of bad experiences with missiles (one-time use that often misses anyway and eats up 4 build points), so I've been messing around with this list:

- Backstabber (16 pts; 6 skill)
- Mauler Mithel w/ Expert Handling (19 pts; 7 skill)
- Darth Vader w/ Squad Leader (31 pts; 9 skill)
- Howlrunner w/ Expert Handling (20 pts; 8 skill)
- Black Squadron Pilot (14 pts; 4 skill)

This order matters (it's how you should deploy them from left to right or vice versa), because the idea is to set up the "Stagger Trap" maneuver (either to the right or left) on the first pass. Since you're going to be barrel rolling a lot anyway, Expert Handling protects your best Fighters (who will be head-to-head with enemy ships on the first pass) by ditching those pesky target locks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

I've had a lot of bad experiences with missiles (one-time use that often misses anyway and eats up 4 build points),...

I've had very different experiences with missiles. On Vader, who can Target Lock AND Focus when he wants to fire the missiles, is converting all EYEs to hits and converting one Blank to a hit (via the Concussin Missile text).

This makes the expected damage of a Concussion Missile from Vader pretty high, since there's a 6/8 chance for a hit on each of those dice, and one failure (blank) will become a hit.

Against low Agility Rebel targets this makes the Concussion Missile especially powerful, since most of that damage will get through (whereas with a Proton Torpedo, TIEs roll more dice and use Evade at Range 3 to really limit the damage output even from a good torpedo attack roll).

Expected Damage* of Vader attacking with Concussion Missile + Focus: (target listed first in bold, then expected damage dealt AFTER the attack is resolved and the Agility roll has canceled hits)
X-Wing: 3.0 hits dealt (2.5 hits if X-Wing has Focus for defense roll)
Y-Wing / YT-1300: 3.4 hits dealt (3.2 if Y-Wing has Focus for defense roll)
TIE / A-Wing / Biggs w R2-F2: 2.7 hits dealt (1.9 if target has Focus for defense roll)

*from TNT's hard work shared here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/856660/all-the-stats-expecte...

Frankly, I can't think of any better way to spend four points in this game than giving Vader Concussion Missiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

Frankly, I can't think of any better way to spend four points in this game than giving Vader Concussion Missiles.

Shhhh!
I'm using Vadar with concussion missiles to try and win the Falcon in a couple weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.