Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for reliable information about the range of weapons from the Middle Ages, specifically longbows and crossbows used in western Europe.

I've looked and can only find wildly varying/contradictory guesses.

Have you a cite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested, also -- and would be interested, as well, in the ranges of the Mongol bow and the Japanese bow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
It's My T.A.R.D.I.S.
badge
Galifreyan is hard to read
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize these are not all concerning middle ages, however there is some Turkish information in the wiki sources you might at least use.

here is some reading for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_and_arrow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_%28firearms%29

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1304710/Robin-Hood-s...

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/flight.html

The furthest distance shot with any bow is 2,047 yards (1,871.84m) . This was shot by the late Harry Drake in 1988 using a crossbow. The furthest with a hand-held — and pulled — bow is 1,336 yds 1' 3" (1,222.01m) , shot by Don Brown with an unlimited conventional Flight bow in 1987.

Distances achieved in Britain include:

Conventional Flight Bow (unlimited): Alan Webster — 916 yards
Compound Flight Bow (60 lbs): Barry Groves - 914 yards. That distance has since been beaten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a tremendous variety of answers partly because there is a tremendous variety of weapon capabilities over the period, but they are at least vaguely similar in range, if not in rate of fire and training required.

Henry VIII decreed that practice ranges for the longbow (i.e. accurate shooting) should be no less than 220 yards, which will give you the minimum, and of course Englishmen were required to carry out their longbow training by law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't help the discussion at all but, for me, the longbow is still the most beautiful and exquisite weapon there's ever been to this day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ziegler
United States
Huntingdon Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historically it was the LONGBOW that REPLACED the MEDIEVAL CROSSBOW. It was a matter of range and penetration effectiveness. English history depended on this and remember "Henry V" where this is implied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this site out. Talking about Viking Longbow.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/...

It states, based on history stuff:

"Bows were made from the wood of a yew, ash, or elm. Typically, they were 1.6 to 2m (60 to 80 in) long. Arrow heads were made in a variety of shapes and sizes. Arrow shafts typically were 70 to 80cm (28-32in) long.

The estimated draw weight of one 10th century bow is 90lbs (40kgf), and the effective range of this weapon was about 200m (650ft).

However, medieval Icelandic law gives a different estimate. The distance of the flight of an arrow, ördrag (bowshot) was a unit of measure commonly used in Icelandic law. For example, Grágás, the medieval Icelandic law book, requires that the court empowered to confiscate an outlaw's property be held within a bowshot of the outlaw's home (K 62). A later addition to Grágás defines the bowshot to be two hundred faðmar (about 480m)."

So the range base on these statements is: 200m (650ft) to 480m (1,560ft). The average would be about: 340m or 1,105ft.

According to this site about medieval crossbows:

http://web.mit.edu/21h.416/www/militarytechnology/crossbow.h...

"Range: By the 15th century, with a steel crossbow, the range was about 380 yards, sometimes up to 500(2). Earlier crossbows were thought to have a point blank range of 70 yards but were more often angled up 45 degrees to give them a range of 350 yards. Highest effective was 150 yards, but still able to kill at 300(5)."

Hope this helps.

Bob......................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trelane wrote:
Historically it was the LONGBOW that REPLACED the MEDIEVAL CROSSBOW. It was a matter of range and penetration effectiveness. English history depended on this and remember "Henry V" where this is implied.

Wha? T'was the other way around. The crossbow, though inferior, became the dominant bow weapon since anyone could shoot one. Need to raise a militia from that crowd of peasants? Crossbow time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
A study of specific battles might give more useful information.

For instance, Crecy: http://www.llantrisant.net/crecy.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i'm not sure about this, but i think the rate of fire for the long bow by a skilled bowman was greater than a cross bowman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
nhojput wrote:
i'm not sure about this, but i think the rate of fire for the long bow by a skilled bowman was greater than a cross bowman.
You are very much correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that two ranges are needed in order to assess the effectiveness of these bows: a 'sniper' range -- the range at which a single skilled bowman could strike -- and a 'volley' range -- the range at which a body of bowmen could inflict significant enough damage on an enemy formation to make it worthwhile to fire a volley.

As for the icelandic 'bowshot', that seems to me to simply be the maximum range of a bow, and unrelated to either a sniper range or a volley range (ie, one would never seriously fire at an enemy at that range. A single shot could not achieve the necessary accuracy, and a volley would be far too weak to inflict significant enough damage on an enemy force to make the volley worthwhile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
English/Welsh longbows of the 12th-14th Centuries, were larger/longer than the Viking ones mentioned above. They required greater draw strength and were considerably more powerful in terms of range and armour penetration.

effective range of the Welsh/English longbow is disputed, but was superior to crossbows and the early black-powder weapons - it's weakness was in the amount of training required to pull and effectively fire the bow. Long-bowmen had to be trained from an early age (it actually led to skeletal changes) whereas any Tom Dick or Harry could fire a cross-bow or arquebus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Trelane wrote:

The crossbow was a later invention than the bow,
and while longbows were faster and more accurate, they are useless without archers who had spent considerable time developing callouses, and the arm strength necessary to pull and hold the bow.

The key advantage of crossbows is they are a much more point and shoot weapon, and don't require as much training and conditioning to use, so crossbowmen could be raised and pushed into service much quicker than archers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Cool resource: http://books.google.com/books?id=H2RMNY2oxqIC&printsec=front...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
This doesn't help the discussion at all but, for me, the longbow is still the most beautiful and exquisite weapon there's ever been to this day.

"not as clumsy or random as a crossbow. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age." -- Obi Wan Kenobi of Locksley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
dedindahed wrote:
Trelane wrote:

The crossbow was a later invention than the bow,
and while longbows were faster and more accurate, they are useless without archers who had spent considerable time developing callouses, and the arm strength necessary to pull and hold the bow.

The key advantage of crossbows is they are a much more point and shoot weapon, and don't require as much training and conditioning to use, so crossbowmen could be raised and pushed into service much quicker than archers.

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... any Bo, Luke, or Rambo could fire a long bow.

Need a militia made up of good ol' boys (never meaning no harm?), the long bow is for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
There is a tremendous variety of answers partly because there is a tremendous variety of weapon capabilities over the period, but they are at least vaguely similar in range, if not in rate of fire and training required.

For this discussion I'd like to ignore any other factor save range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hohenstadt wrote:

Hope this helps.

Bob......................

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Sitnam wrote:
Domfluff wrote:

Please define 'crossbow' then.

The heaviest crossbows (ignoring ballistae) were arbalest,
and would mount on a supporting tool (such as a fork). They were
not able to be cranked without external tools, and had incredibly
low rates of fire. They had longer 'straight range' than a longbow
(due to much greater pull-rate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
cherryfunk wrote:
Trelane wrote:

Wha? T'was the other way around. The crossbow, though inferior, became the dominant bow weapon since anyone could shoot one. Need to raise a militia from that crowd of peasants? Crossbow time.

In medieval England every male over the age of 12 had to spend a minimum of two hours (after church on Sundays) practicing the longbow. This was a rigorously enforced LAW. There is also some anecdotal evidence that this was a treasured - and competitive - activity for the men with betting between village champions.

Hence that "crowd of peasants" could drop a hail of arrows at 200, 300, 400 or 500 feet at the drop of a gauntlet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The range is closely related to the draw strength. Longbows are always drawn by hand, and therefore limited to the strength of the men who were using them. Crossbows allowed a wider range of ways to draw them, trading off strength vs. speed.

So, you need to figure out what sort of crossbow you're interested in and whether that constitutes a fair and meaningful comparison or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mary Rose longbows topped out at a draw weight of 180lbs, though I understand the Warbow could go above 200lbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Sitnam wrote:
Domfluff wrote:

Andrew, without more detail as to what you are looking for, I don't think you'll be able to find anything particularly relevant from us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.