Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stacie Winters
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity and because I am still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail I was wondering from everybody who has played the game what your favorite type of deck is to play and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolay Kamishev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love Jinteki style, mind games and dmg, but still their playstyle is not so well developed in terms of cardpool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarch - I like playing a really high-risk game, I like being able to disrupt the corp, and I like all the fiddly interactions between datasucker, parasite, Wyrm, Ice Carver, Yog.0, and Mimic.

Jinteki - There's something really satisfying about killing someone with a Junebug. It doesn't happen much, but it's great when it does. I think Jinteki's the hardest faction to play right now, which is part of what makes them interesting to me.

NBN - I also enjoy playing NBN fast-advance strategies, but the cards for it aren't quite there yet. The deck gets wildly better after Genesis, as NBN gets (at very least) another two-point, three-advance agenda (Project Beale) and another piece of in-faction ice that can end the run (Ouroboros.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Collard
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am fond of Anarch, they seem the strangest of the runner factions which makes me want to mess around and see what happens.

Corp-wise I love running NBN's tag-heavy shell with cross-faction cards (see: Weyland Consortium) that rely on having a tagged runner. NBN makes Private Security Force and Scorched Earth vicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Anarch for their style of playing and high interaction with your opponent cards. Your decisions matter much more than in case of Criminals, which quite often can be played on auto-pilot, whereas Shapers need their rig to show their teeth. Unfortunately, Anarch need time to set up and if the Corp plays aggressively the game is over before you have a chance to show all your tricks. Therefore, they are definitely not the strongest of the factions. I would even say that right now they are the weakest. They win, of course, but it is difficult and happens late game. Early wins are purely due to excessive luck not skill.

To sum up, you have the greatest control over the game with Criminals (as they can do almost anything and hit hard form turn 1). With bad draws, playing Anarchs and Shapers can be frustrating, but if once you start going it is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarch with ice destruction focus as runner is my favorite deck to play. control the corp game and get in there! djinn can let you fish for just the right trick at the right time, and combined with grimoire the anarch can play most freely with memory. i win off R&D scores the most and often ignore remote servers mostly.

hass is by far my favorite corp. they do everything and play big ice and win the game via agendas the best. their ID ability is fantastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like my Noise/Anarch deck--in fact I'd say it is at least as strong as the Gabe/Criminal deck, if a bit more complex to play. I haven't had any problems applying early pressure with Anarchs. If you don't score a knockout punch early, then yes, you're going to be settling in for a longer game, but that's been ok in my book since you should have Djinn/Wyldside + Aesop's running by midgame.

Gabe hits hard and at a fairly constant level, so it's more direct. Kate is a trickier proposition right now: the Big Rig takes a while to build and she's got no in faction way of applying pressure early.

As far as the corporations go: Jinteki and NBN are clearly weaker right now: their go-to strategies just aren't as fully developed. I've had modest success with my current NBN deck, but I'm much more comfortable with HB or Weyland. Especially Weyland. I like Weyland's balance of direct action vs. economic strength for the indirect action game.

I've never seen Jinteki win except vs a runner who guesses wrong and hits a Junebug. But I also haven't seen many Jinteki decks.

I can't wait for more cards .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Searfoss
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always lose RTS games because I'm cautious and like to build up a huge defense, which (theoretically) would lead to me building up a massive attack force. Most games have me dead before my defenses are halfway up.

So, needless to say, I like playing Shapers and HB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another for Anarch. I love virus synergies, destruction, and high-risk/reward play-style. This is by far my favorite runner.

Another for NBN. I love their rapid advancement angle overall, but I also enjoy their tag punishing moves. And I've had enough success with them to feel really hooked for the near future.

Secondarily, I also really like HB. They have some really satisfying strategic options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Davies
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy winning, so my favourite runner faction is Criminal.

Corp-wise I like playing all of them, but if I had to choose one it would be Jinteki at the moment. There's something very satisfying about persuading the runner to be too afraid to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runner: Shaper > Criminal > Anarch.

I love Shaper's long game, and playing as them feels more like puzzle-solving to me. I hate the fiddliness of virus counters, not to mention being broke.

Corporation: Weyland > NBN > HB > Jinteki.

I love flatlining and fast-advancing, alternative victories. I find HB very solid but boring, and Jinteki painfully uncompetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R.E. Jinteki being bad:

The factions are pretty well balanced. A reasonable test for this is to play with the starter decks, all seven are quite well balanced.

However: The card pool is small enough right now that the best thing to do is just splash for good cards, and the factions that see play are the factions that have the hardest-to-splash-for good cards in-faction.

HB has:
HasBioroid Identity - Unsplashable
Accelerated Beta Test - Unsplashable
Biotic Labor - 4 points
Rototurret - 2 points
Adonis Campaign - 2 points
Archived Memories - 2 points, I think
Corporate Troubleshooter - 2 points, I think

Weyland has:
Hostile Takeover - Unsplashable
Scorched Earth - 4 points
Beanstalk Royalties - 1 point
Archer - 2 points

NBN has:
Astroscript Pilot Program - Unsplashable
Tollbooth - 2 points

Jinteki has:
Project Junebug - 1 point
Chum - 1 point, I think.
Precognition - 3 points, I think. Might be 4.

Anyway, Jinteki cards aren't bad. Jinteki's ID isn't bad either. However, at this point it's easier to play Junebugs in HB or Weyland than it is to play a whole suite of economy cards and good ice in Jinteki. Right now the only really hard-to-splash good card in Jinteki is precognition, and it's not a reason to play Jinteki because the card that makes it really good is even more expensive (Accelerated Beta Test.)

It's similar on the runner side. Criminal and Shaper are very similar decks, but it's slightly cheaper to get Shaper cards into Criminal than it is to get Criminal cards into Shaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
R.E. Jinteki being bad:

The factions are pretty well balanced. A reasonable test for this is to play with the starter decks, all seven are quite well balanced.

So the evidence for an assertion is an assertion, regarding a different play environment. Got it :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the runner side, I like to hate R&D hard (Anarch + Maker's Eye). I don't want to sit and wait for you to put your agendas out when you're ready. I want to take them by force and preferably find 7 points worth in the top 3 cards of your draw deck It's very risky though.

On the corporation side, I like traps that strip you naked (Haas-Bioroid, any form of tagging). I want to trash all your programs and resources. And I want to deliberately complete my agenda for the 7th point but not score it, and measure how long I can keep you naked. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
As an avid fan of the original Netrunner, I tend to like the play styles of Criminal and Weyland. They seem to give the most "classic" feel to the game, which, in my opinion is best characterized by the balance of risk/reward on the runner side and the bluffing and mind games by the corp side. My criminal deck doesn't try to get too fancy, just brutally effective. My Corp deck focuses on a nice slow burn and tries to force the runner into running and making a mistake. That said, I prefer to win on agendas over Scorched Earth - but I'll take what I can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runner side I use a Criminal deck with Anarch viruses, and it feels amazing. It feels like I can punish the Corp hugely for any mistake in his play, while at the same time not needing those mistakes to win.

I've always been loyal to Weyland, and not just because I'm an Alien fan. The constant threat of SE is great, they only need 1 remote server so their ICE gets concentrated well, and there is no feeling like rezzing Archer and trashing two breakers. I've actually cackled manically when playing them, no joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
Anarch - I like playing a really high-risk game, I like being able to disrupt the corp, and I like all the fiddly interactions between datasucker, parasite, Wyrm, Ice Carver, Yog.0, and Mimic.

Jinteki - There's something really satisfying about killing someone with a Junebug. It doesn't happen much, but it's great when it does. I think Jinteki's the hardest faction to play right now, which is part of what makes them interesting to me.

NBN - I also enjoy playing NBN fast-advance strategies, but the cards for it aren't quite there yet. The deck gets wildly better after Genesis, as NBN gets (at very least) another two-point, three-advance agenda (Project Beale) and another piece of in-faction ice that can end the run (Ouroboros.)

You're the exact opposite of me. I'd rank my preference of the runners:
Shaper/Criminal > Anarch
and the corps:
Haas-Bioroid > Weyland > Jinteki > NBN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of NBN, but as others have said, not quite there yet.

Haven't tried HB yet, but I like their style. I'm doing a Weyland/traps/SE thing right now. Doesn't quite work. Am going to play some Shaper, as I haven't yet.

Noise/Mediums are pretty nasty, but pretty dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked playing Anarchs a lot, but like Magnus above, I decided I liked winning more so I switched to Criminals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinteki.

I'd have a whole goddamn deck of Project Junebugs if I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The OCTGN stats indicated Anarch as the Runner faction with the worst win-ratio, and my first thought was that those values might be exaggerated beyond the actual difference in power level due to how fun Anarch can be to play. I think the responses to this question thus far have given some support to that idea. In an overall sense Anarch is probably the weakest runner at the moment, and criminal is the strongest, yes. But the fact that the more competitive players then gravitate towards criminal in order to win more games while the more casual players love the combo-intensive, interactive, seat-of-your pants, high risk high reward playstyle of Anarchs, skews those statistics farther I believe.

And yeah, I love playing Anarch probably the Runner I currently enjoy playing the most.
That said, I also have a lot of fun playing Shaper and Criminal, and I like switching around between them. I don't ever intend to be married to a single faction to the exclusion of the others.

For Corp, my current favorites are probably HB and NBN followed closely by Weyland. Jinteki, I just can't really get into yet. I made a Jinteki deck that is fun to play, and fairly good at winning games, but it's still and under-powered underdeveloped faction at this time in my opinion. I LOVE Precog and Snare, their agenda is great, and they have other solid cards, so I am definitely hoping that the expansions bring that extra something to bring Jinteki in-line with the other corporations for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
argus88 wrote:
The OCTGN stats indicated Anarch as the Runner faction with the worst win-ratio, and my first thought was that those values might be exaggerated beyond the actual difference in power level due to how fun Anarch can be to play. I think the responses to this question thus far have given some support to that idea. In an overall sense Anarch is probably the weakest runner at the moment, and criminal is the strongest, yes. But the fact that the more competitive players then gravitate towards criminal in order to win more games while the more casual players love the combo-intensive, interactive, seat-of-your pants, high risk high reward playstyle of Anarchs, skews those statistics farther I believe.

I think Anarchs are very viable, though I admit Criminal probably has a small edge on them. I think the lower win rate is mostly due to Anarchs being the hardest to play, rather than a problem with their faction or cardset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for what its worth, I think Criminals get alot worse when people know how to play against them, and some of the better win ratios in competitive may be due to having infaction ways to easily handle Scorched earth combo. if you shut Gabe out of hq starting as early as possible, he can really struggle. i find they win early, or not at all usually.

My very active group actually thinks both Anarch and Shaper are more powerful than Criminal overall, though we splash a few criminal tricks regularly. we actually struggle to find criminal decks that can reliably beat our corp decks with any consistency...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll done some time ago...

Poll
1. Corp or Runner?
Corp
Runner
2. Corp?
Jinteki
Haas
Weyland
NBN
3. Runner?
Anarch
Criminal
Shaper
      157 answers
Poll created by deedob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
for what its worth, I think Criminals get alot worse when people know how to play against them, and some of the better win ratios in competitive may be due to having infaction ways to easily handle Scorched earth combo.

Well the fact that they've got built-in Scorched Earth protection is certainly a huge part of it. It's also true, that until the Corp learns to expect and counter such things as Bank Siphon, Inside Job, Bank Job, Sneakdoor Beta, etc. the Criminal will really run roughshod over them. So yeah, that too is likely a factor.

hoobajoo wrote:
I think Anarchs are very viable

Oh, absolutely, no disagreements there! I played an undefeated Anarch at our local tournament for second place overall.*

*1st place was also undefeated as runner with a Crim deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.