Subject: Favourite ways to mark exhausted cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that turning exhausted cards sideways is not convenient way to mark them: you need a lot of extra table space and it gets messy if you want to exhaust one attachment out of many. Of course, with a few cards you do not need to actually mark exhausted cards but I find I can’t rely on memory when I have more than 10 cards in play (you arrive at that limit fast when playing solo with two decks) I experimented with flipping the exhausted cards. It is good because it makes it very clear which cards are exhausted but then you do not have the card texts in front of you It also does not work well with attachments. I tried to slide attachments so that when you can see the art (a bit) then the card is exhausted but this method is again somewhat inconvenient (other attachments tend to slide as well). Perhaps the best method I have come up with is to mark exhausted cards with tokens (you can use progress tokens, for instance) although I occasionally forget to remove the tokens during the refresh. What is your favourite way for marking the exhausted cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Grrr
mbmbmbmbmb
I turn them 45 degrees rather than 90, so I can still read text. I also think your marker idea will work if it's a bright color and big (lots of small counters flying around otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and i have always used beads to show tapped cards in games like this.

If the bead is right at the top of the card, it's ready. When the card gets used, the bead gets put right onto the card to show it's tapped.

We've been happily tapping cards with beads since 1993 meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should use something that is fairly obvious, so it is not easily overlooked. Beads, Poker Chips, anything works, really.

I prefer to actually turn the cards sideways, though. But I don't really lack table space, so it isn't much of a problem.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
just move them down an inch or two - easy as anything to see who's ready and who's not by where the card is. Doesn't take much space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the FFG plastic gaming tokens years ago and never regretted the purchase. I use gold tokens to mark questing, blue tokens to mark exhaustion and green if they've been readied again. Refreshing/cleanup takes a few seconds longer, but the visual aid really helps me remember what the heck is going on if gameplay gets interrupted... which happens often, it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found these skull markers:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/150920
You can find them in different colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivar Skappel
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a quest area and a defender area. For other allies like stargazers and miners, I have a pile for exhausted characters. I keep it far away from my discard pile. I personally don't feel the need for tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different colored dice to show quested, defending, and attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I experimented with different tokens and finally decided for dice because I have plenty spare small dice lying around. Two bright colours seemed sufficient: one for questing and one for other purposes. It worked really well, inter alia, it made counting the quest strength much easier.

Thanks for all the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwoo wrote:
I found these skull markers:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/150920
You can find them in different colors.

I own a couple packs of those and they aren't very big at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One way is to use these glass beads. Very cheap and look good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use glass beads. Easy to pick up and move around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use glass beads when you have plenty of room to tap your cards, then you are a bougie a*****e .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Trivial Pursuit pie slices (from an old set ... everyone seems to have an old Trivial Pursuit set) to mark exhausted cards. The pie slices are small enough that they can be placed on attachments (that exhaust) as well.

If the pie is full/closed (i.e. opening is on the bottom) then the card hasn't been used. If the pie is empty/open (i.e. opening is on the top) then the card is exhausted. When the refresh phase happens, I just turn over the empty ones to reset them.

The different colours can also be of use. Like for (core set) Glorfindel. Green is used to track exhaustion while another colour (ex. brown) is used to track whether the heal ability has been used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.