M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
googoo

35 people
Great showing -- I think that ties the record.
Played Goa with a couple newbies.
(Hope to see you again Olaf and Nathan)
The General smoked us.

If you played 'em -- post 'em.

googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
googoo

Played a 6-player game of Bohnanza (3-way tie with 12 points), two 6-player games of King of Tokyo: Power Up! (both ended with one monster standing), and finally a 7-player game of Zombie Dice (16 brains satisfies even the hungriest zombie). All hail the fillers!

googoo

P.S. Loopin' Louie is $15.00 at Walmart. Batteries not included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: OGG -- Wrap UP--- HUGE Turnout!!! == Great Stuff Goa, Lord of the Rings, blah blah blah :)
googoo

Played Eric's shiny new copy of Exodus: Proxima Centauri with him and Mike. Quite enjoyed it but need to play (at least) a second time to go "on record "with a proper opinion of it.

I will say, though, that it is fundamentally a fighting game and less Euro. So somewhere between Eclipse and Space Empires 4x (I have no basis to comment on TI3, though).

googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MIke H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
googoo

Played Eric's shiny new copy of Exodus: Proxima Centauri with him and Mike. Quite enjoyed it but need to play (at least) a second time to go "on record "with a proper opinion of it.

I will say, though, that it is fundamentally a fighting game and less Euro. So somewhere between Eclipse and Space Empires 4x (I have no basis to comment on TI3, though).

googoo

I left thinking about other strategies and ways to do things which is exactly what I want from a 4x game, so I would be willing to say it's a good game, maybe a great one. A couple things I found wonky, as I said, like the scoring and the die roll to determine what you can do, but eric's 2-dice take-the-average variant I think is a real smart change. That being said I can tell it will be one of my favorites and I'd love to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Ilitchev
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my third game of Shadowrift with three players. A pretty good game but its a bit long and a tad strategically 'out of focus'... or maybe its just my eyes / brain.

It would be interesting to play a Ghost Stories game in the near future for comparison. As it is, if memory serves, I prefer GS for the build up of tension, minimal upkeep and visual clarity. Shadowrift does with on re-playability and lack of one player taking control of the whole game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopper1 wrote:
but eric's 2-dice take-the-average variant I think is a real smart change.

I was thinking about this, too, and I might have missed something. Because as far as probability goes, it doesn't really change anything.

Instead of 1 in 6 chance of rolling a specific number (16.67%), you now have a 2 in 12 chance of rolling the same number (if you factor in the rounding up as was suggested): result also 16.67%.

If you were to say roll two dice and take the higher (or lower), that would be somewhat different: Assuming the die was perfectly balanced (which we must assume they are not), and what I remember of probability math is correct (which it might not be), the probability of ending up with a 5 or 6 would become 16.67% (vs previous 33.33%).

What I like about the die rolling for banking is not the luck, but the level of risk one is willing to accept over taking another action. e.g. Do I buy the cheap upgrade cause that's all I can afford? Or should I attempt to roll my way into a little more coin so I can then pay a population cube to use the secondary buy upgrade action (assuming it's still available).

Ok...done with the conjecture

EDIT: I think my math was off as expected. Using the "looking for a 5 or 6" as an example:

Take the higher of the two dice: 50% chance (vs 33.33%)
Take the lower of the two dice: 11.11% chance (vs 33.33%)

EDIT 2: New readers can ignore the scratched out text. Brain fart corrected by Eric below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like it was a fun night - but it's okay, staying home to mark essays was just as fun.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
chall wrote:
Sounds like it was a fun night - but it's okay, staying home to mark essays was just as fun.

shake

Ah, but the things kids say (or do)...

http://www.fuelbrothers.com/better/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Jeff. That's such a good price, I bought 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game of Exodus: Proxima Centauri and liked it a lot. My only real complaints about the gameplay (component quality and design choices aside) were the half point scoring system (come on people just double the existing point values and get rid of the fractions) and the wildly swingy results of a single die roll for banking, mining, and trading. The solution I offered at the end of the game was simply instead of 1d6, roll 2d6, add the two dice together, and divide by 2. I suggested rounding towards the middle to bring the values closer to the middle, rounding up for a roll of 3, 5, or 7 and rounding down for a roll of 9 or 11.
I can see an argument for keeping the money actions as high risk ventures that players will be less likely to engage in but I didn't like the feel and it wasn't in line with what I'm looking for in a game like this. And even if I'll accept that argument for the banking and trading actions which you could certainly play the whole game without ever taking advantage of, if you get 3 or even just 2 bad mining roles in a row your whole economic engine just shuts down and there's nothing you can do about it.
And ya Lang your math is way off, or more likely I think you just misunderstood what I was suggesting. The likelyhood of rolling a particular value is listed below and while it adds a great deal more predictability to the die rolls there is still the potential for volatility.
2=1 (2.78%)
3-4=2 (13.89%)
5-6=3 (25%)
7-9=4 (41.67%)
10-11=5 (13.89%)
12=6 (2.78%)

What I liked about the game was the simplified ship upgrade system and combat system as well as the simultaneous hidden movement all of which leads to a quick battle system and one that is tactically and strategically completely different from other games I've played of this type. I also really enjoyed the simple yet rich and varied tech system with a lot of different and viable path choices and the simple yet interactive and high impact politics.

Looking forward to my next play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chall wrote:

shake

Weren't you supposed to be marking those this past (LUDO) weekend?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvalenta wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Jeff. That's such a good price, I bought 2!

Also available at Walmart.ca if you're like me and need a copy to arrive in a different province in time for Christmas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Eirikr wrote:
And ya Lang your math is way off.

Well duh - of course it was! Just wanted to see who'd catch the mistake whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.