Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are troop/partner cards discarded in a strife event gone for good? I've assumed so (though this makes strife a fairly harsh event).
However, this line in the rules made me wonder . . .
"Strife is temporary and valid only on the turn the strife occurs".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
They're gone for good. That line just means that the effect of Strife only applies once, when the card is played. It doesn't prevent you building up troops/partners in both those colours in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, thanks Martin - that explains 'temporary'.

I'm in the process of making a player-aid for Pax - along the lines of my De Vulgari Eloquentia one. I hope it will be of use for teaching new players. I'll upload a work in progress soon and would welcome any feedback or refinements from anyone interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good idea! I would be happy to proof-read before you upload it if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In computing terms, Strife is an event, not a state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtaylor wrote:
In computing terms, Strife is an event, not a state.

That's a very useful distinction, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
arnodestang wrote:
I'm in the process of making a player-aid for Pax - along the lines of my De Vulgari Eloquentia one. I hope it will be of use for teaching new players. I'll upload a work in progress soon and would welcome any feedback or refinements from anyone interested!

If you do so, please send a copy to phil@gmail.com phileklund@gmail.com and I will make it available on my website, and in the Yahoo "Paxgames" Group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
arnodestang wrote:

If you do so, please send a copy to phil@gmail.com and I will make it available on my website, and in the Yahoo "Paxgames" Group.

he means phileklund@gmail.com !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew_Eklund wrote:
phileklund wrote:
arnodestang wrote:

If you do so, please send a copy to phil@gmail.com and I will make it available on my website, and in the Yahoo "Paxgames" Group.

he means phileklund@gmail.com !

Ha! Yes I absolutely will guys...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A side question, what happens to public cards in case of a Strife ? Are they going to the discard or do they become available again ?

I'd guess discard, but...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unkle wrote:
A side question, what happens to public cards in case of a Strife ? Are they going to the discard or do they become available again ?

Good question. I'd assume discard too, as there's nothing to state otherwise. So far, I've only actually seen public cards being bought immediately prior to a successful Topple so it hasn't come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
unkle wrote:

Good question. I'd assume discard too, as there's nothing to state otherwise. So far, I've only actually seen public cards being bought immediately prior to a successful Topple so it hasn't come up.

Excellent point... I guess it would be the case. Since I have yet to play the game, that probably explains why I am asking questions which are not that relevant during game play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last game I played though, we noted that my opponent (who was going for a money victory) should probably have bought the Teddy Roosevelt public card and played it on its other side, just to stop me (who was going for an Outrage victory) being able to buy it to put us into US Intervention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunh, I explained Strife wrong when I taught it. I thought it only involved troops. i didn't realize it included partners, including your flipped hacienda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
Hunh, I explained Strife wrong when I taught it. I thought it only involved troops. i didn't realize it included partners, including your flipped hacienda.

Ah yeah, this is actually a great reason to force someone to commit their Hacendado early. You can then play havoc with their Troops and Partners for the rest of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shields
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:

Ah yeah, this is actually a great reason to force someone to commit their Hacendado early. You can then play havoc with their Troops and Partners for the rest of the game
So many 'ahas' in this game. It's so damn tactically rich with these interlocking systems! The troop retreat rule to instigate flipping (and committing to the revolution) an Hacendado forces a brilliant decision.

I missed a 'strife' headline in my last game that would've resurrected a losing position (I was on the wrong end of a pinned (unchangeable) Pax status and loyalty deficiency, and we were watching the Topple Card slide down, furiously positioning for unchangeable Pax topple). I missed the play, and my partner sighed and yanked the card from the pool after my turn, saying "I'm glad you missed this" and grinning. My awareness of strife is now heightened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.