Subject: Similarity of Civilization board game to computer version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband loves the Civilization computer games and we both love board games. How similar is the board game version of Civ to the computer game? Does the BG have the same "feel" and elements or is a lot cut out? Is it better or worse than the computer game.

I know nothing about the computer game having never played, but I'm willing to play the BG with him, as long as it will make him happy and scratch that same itch he satisfies when playing the computer game. If he's better off sticking with the computer version, that's fine, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Caveat: I've only played the BG once and haven't played the CG in years.

Yes, the BG does capture the elements of the CG, but the trouble is that I just don't find it a great BG. It's one of the few games I got sick of playing while it was plodding along, and I just wanted it to end. The CG can be saved and you can go back to it for hours and hours, but the BG requires everyone to stay attached to the table until it is done. I think it took us something like 6-7 hours (including teaching).

It's not a BAD game, it's just very long and slow and feels pretty repetitive to me. I would MUCH rather play something like Eclipse, which has civ building, resource management, and a more interesting tech tree.

I'd say if you ALSO love the Civ CG, it might be a good choice for the two of you, but if you're just looking for a good civ building game, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Knoerzer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
This blue box is not as cool as David Tennant's...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a lot of Civ on the Computer (one through five) and also have played the a lot of Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game. The game has a lot of rules but once you understand the flow of the game it does give a decent feel for the computer game. Though the exploration start of the computer is shortend greatly. The expansion Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game – Fame and Fortune adds a lot of good things also. As for Eclipse it is a good game but it has never given me a feel of the Civilization the computer game at all. I would say you would do well to get Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game to scratch the computer game itch just make sure that you give it time to understand the rules. Also make you if you are buying a used copy you do not get Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would steer you away from this game. I really dislike playing it over the plays that I've had, which are quite a few. It feels too long and too mathy to feel like a real game, so while your husband might like it, might not, I can almost guarantee that if you've never played the computer version, you won't like it. There are a lot of rules, I don't like the combat system, and I don't like constantly checking the number of a symbol on the board.

I'd agree with the recommendation for Eclipse as a great civ building like game. My wife and I play it two player all the time and we really enjoy it, but beware, it is not only a civ-building game, it's a very tough economic game as well. There are probably an equal amount of rules to Civ:TBG and Eclipse is just so much easier to understand and streamlined.

I know for myself, I've preordered Christian Marcussen's Clash of Cultures to get a good Civilization experience. I would recommend looking at that and see if that might fit your/his needs better.

Happy shopping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised no one has mentioned Clash of Cultures yet. I havent played it yet, but from what I have seen it captures the same feel of Civ but in a more streamlined fashion. While the game is still long, I think it lets you focus more on the gameplay itself vs some of the math and iconography complained about in above posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
My husband loves the Civilization computer games and we both love board games. How similar is the board game version of Civ to the computer game?

Sophie, be aware there have been many versions of Civilization in board game form. Consider:
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame
Civilization
Advanced Civilization

You might want to consider posting on each game's forum, or posting a link to the specific version you're considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonman wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:
My husband loves the Civilization computer games and we both love board games. How similar is the board game version of Civ to the computer game?

Sophie, be aware there have been many versions of Civilization in board game form. Consider:
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame
Civilization
Advanced Civilization

You might want to consider posting on each game's forum, or posting a link to the specific version you're considering.

The problem with soliciting recommendations in each game's specific forum is that you will get replies heavily sku'd in favor of whatever game's forum you are posting from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely fair point. Most important is to be explicit with the game (and publication year if talking about Sid Meier's Civ). They're all very different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I also love the computer version and have played several generations of it. The board game captures the basic look and feel of the computer version, but is much more limited. For example, you can only build 3 cities in the board game version, there are fewer leaders to choose from, and there are fewer structures available to build. I enjoy the board game, but I think the computer game is superior. In fact, the computer game is a classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. R.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the computer game and love Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game also. It's similar and different from the computer game at the same time. It can be heavy but once you get through the rules it's pretty straightfoward imo. There seem to be some hate in the replies and I'm not sure why. People have the right to dislike a game but it might have been a case of people expecting something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either game and shouldn't say anything but since people or giving other suggestions anyway what about Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization? (How is Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery?)

Edit: Btw, I think the board of Through the ages look a little dry. I don't know whatever that's a problem or not. (Also Terra Mystica is nothing like Civilization. But maybe that could be interesting to?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the other folks who have mentioned Eclipse. It really gives the 4x feeling while being streamlined and manageable enough to keep things moving along as a boardgame. I'll bet you anything your husband is also a fan of the Master of Orion games, which are clearly an inspiration for it.

If the historical civilization-building theme is crucial, then Clash of Cultures looks like it might be just the ticket. I haven't had a chance to try it out personally, though. Also, I don't think CoC goes all the way to the modern era the way the Civilization computer games do. Innovation does capture the epic stone-age-to-space-age sweep of the computer game, but it's a card game, so you can't build cities and move guys around. It's a great game, though, so it might be worth a look if having mechanics that echo the computer game isn't all-important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never played Sid Meier's Civ.

I have played Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization and I've played Civilization IV (the PC game, probably the same one your husband plays). Through the Ages is my favorite boardgame, bar none, and absolutely captures the feeling of the PC game. Sure it looks dry, but take the plunge and you'll come up for air at the end of the game wondering why you feel soaking wet.

Here's one thread to look through
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/593918/civilization-vs-throu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I've never played Sid Meier's Civ.

I have played Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization and I've played Civilization IV (the PC game, probably the same one your husband plays). Through the Ages is my favorite boardgame, bar none, and absolutely captures the feeling of the PC game. Sure it looks dry, but take the plunge and you'll come up for air at the end of the game wondering why you feel soaking wet.

Here's one thread to look through
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/593918/civilization-vs-throu...

I am a big fan of both the Civ computer game and Through the Ages, but to say that TtA gives the same feel is a big stretch IMO.

I understand that people like the game and want other people to try it, but to recommend TtA for someone looking to buy a board game similar to the Civ PC game is disingenuous. Only the theme and the presence of a tech tree make the games similar in any way. There is no map exploration, no exploitation of resources, no expanding and no exterminating.

Hell, I am a big fan of Space Empires: 4X. That game has map discovery and exploration, resource exploitation, a tech tree and opponent extermination. As such, it has a lot more in common with Sid's Civ PC game than Through the Ages. But, it's a war game, so I won't recommend it on a thread like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can say this, but I feel differently. Trying to prevent uprisings and corruption is directly parallel to PC Civ (in fact, I never fully understood what happy faces were in Civ IV until I played Through the Ages!). Trying to increase your science output to discover technologies more efficiently also provokes a similar response in me. Trying to optimally discover the right technologies when you want about 90% of them but can only really use about half that also gives off a similar feeling.

Then again, I like Civ PC more for the numbers game than the exploration, expansion, and military game (again, I think the military game gives off a similar feel to the PC game as you watch your opponents' army grow stronger), so YMMV. I feel Through the Ages gives a very similar numbers game, only simplified and streamlined. I also feel like I just played a Civilization game after it's all wrapped up.

Having said that, Sophie, your husband would probably be happy with either.

Clash of Cultures also is getting good buzz and looks to be quicker and easier to learn than either game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.