Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a few threads where Howlrunner was referred to as a "She." At first I thought it was someone being overly politically correct, but I watched the FFG world championship video and when the rebel player ganged up on Howlrunner and the Imp asked why he was beating up on a woman.

So I searched the internet for Howlrunner and found references in the SW universe, but it was for an animal. There is an Imperial fighter named after the animal, and a Jedi from the time of the Clone Wars who was nicknamed Howlrunner (again after the animal), but I saw nothing about a female TIE pilot.

So where is this coming from? And are their back stories for the other TIE pilots?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about Howlrunner in particular, but I do recall that Decipher added a lot of details like that when they published their Star Wars CCG.

For instance, Mauler Mithel was one of Vader's wingmen at Yavin and I'm pretty sure that it was Decipher who named him.

There are probably other sources for some of the names, various EU sources, but I don't know specifically. I'm sure somebody here will come in with more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Civ%C3%A9_Rashon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:

Well, there you go. Not sure why my internet search didn't find that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also kind of interesting how far FFG will pull from to get named pilots on the table. Storm squad for instance does exist and do fly exclusive TIE Adv/x1s... from starwars galaxies. The depiction of Tatooine is also correct since that is where they are allegedly based.

But I don't know where Tempest squadron comes from and why they are stationed on the Death Star. It could be referring to the TIE/Ad models in the X-Wing computer game that were flying around on the last...two? levels? But those were clearly Omega squadron pilots, arguably flying TIE Advanced x2s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, all of the named TIE/ln Pilots in the game come from the flavor text of cards in the Decipher CCG (Marrek Steele doesn't). I don't know if this is the original appearances for these characters or if Decipher was drawing them from elsewhere.

As it stands, they are all from Black Squadron (A New Hope) or Obsidian Squadron (Empire Strikes Back).

If naming trends continue, we can look at the cards from the Death Star II card set to get an idea of what the other pilots and squadrons will likely be named.

For instance:
-Wampa (CCG Black 11: "Pilot known as 'Wampa' for icy precision in battle," if they do more TIE/ln).
-Onyx Squadron Pilot (if they make the controversial TIE Defender)
-Saber Squadron Pilot (TIE Interceptor, led by Fel at Endor)
-Scimitar Squadron Pilot (TIE Bomber)
-Scythe Squadron Pilot (if they do more TIE/ln)
-Tala Squadron Pilot (if they make Z-95 Headhunters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maarek Steele hails from the The Fource Unleashed TIE Fighter video game IIRC.

I kinda like it when new publishers give this sort of respect to the releases of older publishers (as done here with FFG respecting Decipher's output, or like Decipher respecting the storylines put out in Last Unicorn's version of the Star Trek RPG before they took over and produced a version of their own).

It helps keeping the ever growing universes somewhat drawn together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempest squadron: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tempest_Squadron

...Somehow less useful.

Maybe this is what they are based on?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tempest_Force

Or this?
http://www.amazon.com/Tempest-Star-Wars-Legacy-Force/dp/0345...

Or they were aboard this ISD:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tempest_(Victory-class)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled all the following from The Wookieepedia:

Quote:
"Mauler" Mithel, designated DS-61-2, was a male Human TIE pilot specially trained to be Darth Vader's left wingman as a member of Vader's Black Squadron. He flew the TIE/ln starfighter designated Black 2 during the Battle of Yavin. He had achieved twenty-seven Rebel kills prior to the Battle of Yavin, and he marked them by flames painted on the hull of his fighter. Mithel's fighter collided with Vader's TIE Advanced x1 when the Millennium Falcon entered the battle. Vader was sent spinning into deep space, while Mithel was killed when his fighter impacted against the trench wall.

DS-61-3, nicknamed "Backstabber," was an Corellian Imperial TIE pilot, known for his viciousness in combat, and Darth Vader's right wingman in Black Squadron. He flew Black 3 during the Battle of Yavin, flanking Darth Vader, where he successfully defended the station's Thermal exhaust port up until he got behind Luke Skywalker. At the end of the battle, he was shot down by the Millennium Falcon.

DS-61-4, nicknamed "Dark Curse," was a Human male who served the Galactic Empire as a starfighter pilot during the time before, and during, the Battle of Yavin. An eventual member of Black Squadron, he participated in various Imperial campaigns before being killed by Wedge Antilles during the Rebel attack on the first Death Star. Flying under the call sign of Black 4, DS-61-4 flew with his fellow Black Squadron pilots against the Rebel assault on the Death Star during the Battle of Yavin. During the initial confusion of the battle, DS-61-4 maneuvered his TIE Fighter behind the Rebel X-wing Red Five, flown by the rookie pilot Luke Skywalker, and was able to score a direct hit on the enemy fighter. Discovering that he was unable to outmaneuver the pursuing DS-61-4, Skywalker called for help from a fellow Rebel pilot, Wedge Antilles, who was able to destroy DS-61-4's TIE Fighter in a Corellian Slip maneuver.

Civé Rashon was a female TIE pilot in the Imperial Navy during the Galactic Civil War. She led Obsidian Squadron, an elite TIE squadron stationed aboard the Star Destroyer Avenger, and was given the call sign "Howlrunner". In 3 ABY, Rashon and Obsidian Squadron participated in the takeover of the planet Bespin and in the pursuit of the fugitive Rebel starship, the Millennium Falcon, as it escaped the planet. A year later, Rashon and Obsidian Squadron fought in the Battle of Endor.

Dodson Makraven (OS-72-2) was the pilot of Obsidian 2 of the Obsidian Squadron in service to the Galactic Empire. He was part of the occupying force that took control of Cloud City from Baron Administrator Lando Calrissian and pursued the Millennium Falcon as it made its escape from the city, flying as Civé Rashon's (OS-72-1) wingman. Dodson's nickname was "Night Beast" because of his many curfew violations.

Winged Gundark (OS-72-7) was the pilot of Obsidian Squadron's Obsidian 7, equipped with modified TIE Fighters in the Imperial Navy. He was part of the occupying force that took control of Cloud City from Baron Administrator Lando Calrissian. OS-72-7's starfighter was modified for upper atmosphere maneuvers. He was nicknamed "Winged Gundark" due to high numbers of kills earned in high-altitude battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an aside: When I first saw "Winged Gundark", not knowing his actual backstory but knowing that a Gundark was kind of a cross between a gorilla and a lion, I immediately thought of Napolean Dynamite and his "liger".

So in my mind, forevermore, "Winged Gundark" will be the Empire's biggest nerd pilot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maarek Stele is the canonical name of the player-character in the TIE Fighter computer game. His special ability is very appropriate for this character... as in TIE Fighter you could use your targeting computer to blow off specific parts of capital ships (like turrets, missile launchers, radar, and so on). Supposedly he is also force-sensitive and a member of the Secret order of the Empire.

It's said that his preferred ride is the TIE Avenger... I hope his placement on the Advanced doesn't prevent us from seeing real TIE Avengers further down the line. You never fly a TIE x1 in TIE Fighter.

I'm very pleased to see both material from Decipher and the TIE Fighter computer game continue in this game. I thought both game series were merits to the Star Wars IP. I miss them both :\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.