Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm toying with the idea of using double-sided cards in a game design. These are cards with different fronts *and* backs.

I've seen a few games do this and it seems to work ok.

What I'm wondering is, aside from the extra artwork, does this add significantly to the production cost?

Not that I would kill off an idea just because of the production cost, but it's always a consideration at some level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless your backs were blank, you're going to print double sided anyway.

Doesn't matter if its all the same image or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a single back, there is no alignment question.

With different backs, you have to align to make sure A1 and A2 are opposite each other. That's not hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
With different backs, you have to align to make sure A1 and A2 are opposite each other. That's not hard.

It matters not whether the backs are all the same or different. The alignment process is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
mbmbmbmbmb
Some companies that do print on demand prototyping will charge you extra, but when it comes down to the big print you will pay the same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
Some companies that do print on demand prototyping will charge you extra, but when it comes down to the big print you will pay the same

Superior POD Does 18 per sheet and They do support unique backs... I'm not sure how to math 1a with 1b... to insure 1a is not stuck with 18b.

It is possible to find out and get it done right... you also have to address the orientation of the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dralius wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

It matters not whether the backs are all the same or different. The alignment process is the same.

No it's not.

I don't have to worry about which cards gets which back if they're all the same.

Aligning the images? Sure, has to be done for any doublesided printing.

I was referring to correctly printing the front of card A on the back of card A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.