Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, for the first time ever I've backed a Kickstarter fundraiser.

I pledged $80 for UpFront, which is probably a bit more than I can really afford, but what the heck.

I missed out on this game in its original incarnation, but I think that my gf will be interested in it and should get a bunch of play.

For the price, I get the base set (U.S. vs. Germans), plus my choice of two additional nationalities. I'm going with British and either Japanese or Italians (unless someone persuades me otherwise). Edit: Oh yeah and a cloth UpFront patch, whatever that is.

I'm excited to finally get a chance to learn this game.

Just thought I'd share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:

I pledged $80 for UpFront, which is probably a bit more than I can really afford, but what the heck.

I missed out on this game in its original incarnation, but I think that my gf will be interested in it and should get a bunch of play.

For the price, I get the base set (U.S. vs. Germans), plus my choice of two additional nationalities. I'm going with British and either Japanese or Italians (unless someone persuades me otherwise). Edit: Oh yeah and a cloth UpFront patch, whatever that is.

Just thought I'd share.

Don't forget the stretch gooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaalllllsssssss! I think it just unlocked the Greeks. Next up, Hungarians?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:

The moral here is don't invest in any Kickstarter project if you can't afford to lose the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in for the whole enchilada! All factions and named private! Kickstarted D-Day dice and it is great! Kickstarted Airborne in my Pocket and waiting for that one and it should be fantastic! So I have no doubts about UpFront! Lawsuit? I don't care about no stinking lawsuit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget the Italians the a hilariously bad. The Japanese are one of my favorites to play. The Brits have some issues but pretty solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwbgamer wrote:
I don't care about no stinking lawsuit!

If i had loads of extra money to burn, i wouldn't care either...

But i don't... so i am considering things like a pending lawsuit before ordering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone around here backed out since this news?

I was considering backing the project for the new terrain options, but I am not sure about it now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Forget the Italians the a hilariously bad. The Japanese are one of my favorites to play. The Brits have some issues but pretty solid.

Yeah, playing with the Japanese and using Banzai charges is one of the coolest add-ons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
RogCBrand wrote:
... playing with the Japanese and using Banzai charges is one of the coolest add-ons.

Yep, the Banzai charge is a game-winning tactic.

For one side or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just visited the Up Front kickstarter page and wow -- they didn't just make the goal, they shattered it. And 102 grand at 684 backers averages out to about $150 per backer. Not too shabby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:

Just thought I'd share.

A year ago I purchased UpFront and it's Banzai expansion for $80 bucks on the BGG and the seller covered the shipping, it took less than a week to get to my house.

Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently if you back the KS you get the revised game rules, whatever base sets you buy PLUS 6 expansions (so far, consisting of 10 new armies). You also get the new terrains that go along with many of the expansions (ie. desert terrain cards with Italy, urban terrain with Britain, etc.) which don't currently exist (my understanding is that the old expansions just told you how to "reinterpret" certain cards to mimic the desired terrain).
All these "free" expansions will be for sale after the KS.
Its a pretty good deal if you are interested.

Keep in mind its only been 2 weeks and they have hit 6 stretch goals by hitting 100,000. There are another 6 expansions to go (last expansion at 180k) and 33 days left.

Poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the fence as of right now. But it's looking pretty tempting.

I actually put a reminder on my phone, so I can make a last-minute decision if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KRAMPUS
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the judgement and other pending lawsuits, best of luck getting anything for your pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VAXT wrote:
With the judgement and other pending lawsuits, best of luck getting anything for your pledge.

You make a comment like that and put a smiley face behind it? For real?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been an actual judgement? Pray tell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
There has been an actual judgement? Pray tell

BOOM! You just stepped on the mine. gulp http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/883914/be-informed-befor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this ever end? Seriously some BGG forums look like a small village tavern, where everyone has someone to badmouth. I personally couldn't care less about any lawsuits against VG. I also couldn't care less about who and how much money they owe (if the fact that VG allegedly took advantage of someone bothers you, take a moral high ground and go live on Vulcan, as for some court papers flying around the website it's bunch of legalese to me).

Instead of complaining, spend time constructively and search the business world, trying to find ANY company that doesn't have pending or recently closed lawsuits. It doesn't matter how small or big the company is.

I backed D-Day dice and got it. I was very happy with the product. I'm only interested to know if the Hasboro approved usage of license. As for those who are scared to back up, you can always back up $40 level which will get you base game and all stretch rewards and then buy the expansions later on, since the prices will probably be the same from the OLGS. If you loose $40 in the process then tough luck on you (and me), caveat emptor. I'm sure some people fundraised and contributed to the election and Mr. Romney, so should they cry for that? No, this is life, not everything is peachy, and I can only care about my end of the world, and try not to step on anyone's toes.

In the end, if my money is being used to pay off the lawsuit and money owed to that gentleman, I won't consider it wasted. Hey, someone can send their kid to college now.

Some people should take a chill pill and start minding their own business, rather then others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
dwbgamer wrote:
I don't care about no stinking lawsuit!

-- said the man who gave his retirement to Bernie Madoff to invest. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remain decidedly on the fence with this one. I already own Up Front plus the original 2 expansions. But I'm curious about the additional nations (provided that they're play-balanced) and the new terrain features (I'm okay with mentally keeping track of changes, but still...).

I probably won't commit one way or the other until the very end. I only have money sunk into 1 KS project right now, and it's not even a wargame. But, unlike floating a new design like this new version of UF, it's a more secure reprint of a game (The Great Fire of London 1666), so I'm not too worried about losing that investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some degree of faith that, even if the judgement comes down, the funds dedicated to Up Front will be reserved for Up Front. It may mean no support in the future, lesser art than originally planned, or whatever else if VG is 'shut down' or has a severe enough judgement against them, but I strongly believe the game will still get out the door and to the backers.

I'm in for my 125. A not-inconsiderable sum, personally, but this is one that I would probably kick myself for letting pass. And if it fails, it's a $125 lesson in not trusting the internet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aw crap. soblue

first i've heard of any of this garbage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
Instead of complaining, spend time constructively and search the business world, trying to find ANY company that doesn't have pending or recently closed lawsuits. It doesn't matter how small or big the company is.

When a company cannot pay Mr. Knizia the royalties promised to him or the $200K they owe the other chap, and act unethically by continuing to produce and sell Knizia's game, folks should take pause and wonder how solvent and viable the company is, and if this isn't a big money grab in order to stiff them since the company appears to employ unethical business practices.

If you got a problem with people being concerned, that's your business: it's an open forum. But I, for one, am glad that Marshall pointed it out and maybe helped someone from getting stiffed. I'd rather do without Up Front and save my money than give a bunch of crooks money and still be without Up Front. If they produce a game and put it in a store, then I'll feel safe buying it, because then I know they can't stiff me...well, unless they sell me an empty box.

As George W. Bush so eloquently put it, "fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
If you got a problem with people being concerned, that's your business: it's an open forum.

I think you misunderstood the essence of my post. My point was that it's ok to learn about legal problems a company has. It is not ok for people judge and blame and flame on very limited info they gathered from a internet forum and they know very little about.

Does VG owes money to Dr. Knizia? Sure. Do they owe money to that other guy (how much they owe him I don't know, but he keeps throwing some numbers around). Sure. Can VG sue him back for libel? Perhaps, I don't know.

People should be only concerned about THEIR relationship with the said company. And weather they will be delivered a product that they want, and for which there is a demand.

As for dealing with bunch of crooks, those are big words, which I won't use. I mean, we still all buy stuff from Nike, Apple, Walmart, and number of other companies which have very questionable business practices.

In the end, people don't care about suffering of manufacturers in Foxconn and that Apple pays them in cents per hour. They care about getting a new Igadget. Same it should be here, if you pay, will you get your product that you purchased? As of right now, there is no evidence that VG will fail on that promise.

Only a hearsay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.