BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: "Plunder!" - A Class-Based Treasure-Hunting Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Burner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Guys, I've never posted here before, but I'm scouring the web for support for my board game project on Kickstarter. I've poured my heart and soul into this game over a four-year period, and now I want to put it in the hands of people who will love it as much as I do. If you're willing, give it a look! If you like what you see, pledge, share, or support it any way you can! Whether this game gets made or not depends on people like you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! I'll look more closely later tonight.

Should have been here well before the KS campaign though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Burner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
You're definitely right. This would have been... geez, just an enormous help. I had no idea there was such a developed indie board-game community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or atleast take a few minutes to look around a forum - there is a Kickstarter area for this. How is an ad for KS IN ANYWAY a Do It Yourself item? Not impressing me with your effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Take advantage of the (limited) free advertising that BGG allows. This one is slightly naughty, but as a noob you will get away with it. But you are allowed a single post in the Press releases forum. Use it. And you are allowed a single post on the Kickstarter announcements thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10381716#10381716

Use it well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Burner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
@Brian Beaupre: I obviously misunderstood the purpose of this subforum. You're right, I should've done more investigating. I thought the Do It Yourself are was for projects you made yourself, as in personal work. Should I delete my post in this subforum? Is that possible?

@Richard Morris: Thank you so much! I will definitely do that. Thank you for being so helpful, despite me using this thread the wrong way.

Edit: And I went ahead and posted in the Kickstarter thread, here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10648170#10648170
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

Welcome to boardgamegeek!! You have come to the right place for all things related to board games! It can be a tricky place to navigate, though, so here is a really useful list of really useful lists that you might find... useful:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/147856/most-useful-gee...

Now having said that, you've also entered the lion's den when it comes to board game critique! With most of us owning dozens, if not hundreds (and in some cases, even thousands) of modern board games, and with many of us also being game design hobbyists with big dreams of making a splash with our next design, it can be awefully hard to break into this increasingly crowded market. Even for those of us who aren't anti-Kickstarter/crowdfunding, to commit $50 of our gaming budget on a new game would require a fairly detailed overview of game play (preferabloy a link to the rulebook) to ensure that the game brings something new and interesting to the table.

And to be brutally honest with you, what little info you have regarding the actual game play and mechanisms of your game does not indicate that you have anything particularly innovative to offer with your design. For example, here are a few lists of games, many of which incorporate class-based characters in some sort of treasure-hunting or adventuring setting:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/923/the-definitive-dun...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/9768/do-you-wish-to-go...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/70136/adventure-games

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/23477/ultimate-rpgdung...

Due to the reasons stated above, I'd be surprised if you'll find much support for this particular project around here. But I'm not trying to burst your bubble - it is definitely very cool that you've designed a game that has provided so much fun over a period of years for you and your friends! And if you're interested in further exploring various aspects of game design, there is a forum here specifically for that, in which you'll find plenty of active and interesting discussion:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/26/boardgamegeek/board-ga...

I wish you all the best! Cheers, and happy gaming!! meeple

-Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I apologize, a bit anyways. I didn't mean for that be quit as snarky as it came out.

I obviously understood that you obviously misunderstood the purpose of this subforum, and thats why I wasn't impressed. As some one who spent 4 years and wants $7k, I would kinda expect you to spend a little time to post in the best way.

I do wish you the best of luck with your enterprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Burner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Thank you for the welcome! Also, I am quickly realizing where I am, so to speak, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I genuinely appreciate your critique and feedback, especially the fact that it isn't brimming with insults. I wish I had discovered this site much earlier on in the process.

Quote:
Even for those of us who aren't anti-Kickstarter/crowdfunding, to commit $50 of our gaming budget on a new game would require a fairly detailed overview of game play (preferabloy a link to the rulebook) to ensure that the game brings something new and interesting to the table.

Understandable. I can't claim to be nearly as steeped in board game culture or as well-versed in game variety as I assume the community at large here is. That being said, as soon as I can get past my portfolio review (tomorrow), I'll be working on a print and play version to post on the Kickstarter site, so people can play for themselves. In hindsight, I regret not doing so sooner.

Quote:
And to be brutally honest with you, what little info you have regarding the actual game play and mechanisms of your game does not indicate that you have anything particularly innovative to offer with your design. For example, here are a few lists of games, many of which incorporate class-based characters in some sort of treasure-hunting or adventuring setting:

Point also taken. I hope some of the high points the game does offer come through in the print and play version. Unfortunately, I haven't played any of the games you've linked to me. I would love to, and would also love to research them more. It feels like coming from the bottom-rung into a room full of much more experienced, much more talented colleagues, never really having known they existed in such masses. Running a Kickstarter is thrilling and terrifying all at the same time, and the experience is thrusting me into a world that was unknown to me until now. Being a one man team, as I'm sure many of the people here understand, is a daunting task.

However, I am doing my best to answer the feedback of those genuinely trying to help. The Kickstarter has raised (theoretically) $1,743 in two days, which is beyond my wildest imagination. I have to believe that there is something appealing in it, even if it may tread on trails already blazed.

All in all, however, what I hope to do most from this experience is to learn, grow and continue. No matter what happens with this Kickstarter, I will take it as a valuable experience. Finding this site is one of the fruits of it already. Thank you so much, and I hope when the print and play version does go live, you'll download a copy and give it a try.

Sincerely,
David Burner

Edit:
Quote:
Sorry, I apologize, a bit anyways. I didn't mean for that be quit as snarky as it came out.

I obviously understood that you obviously misunderstood the purpose of this subforum, and thats why I wasn't impressed. As some one who spent 4 years and wants $7k, I would kinda expect you to spend a little time to post in the best way.

I do wish you the best of luck with your enterprise.

Thank you, and I wish I had taken the time as well. unfortunately, I'm in the very last days of my very last semester, and time is not something I have in great amounts. I was actually about to call a professor for a paper extension when the local news called wanting to do a story on the game. It is... frantic. I'm sorry for playing so fast and loose with my first post here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG David, and best of luck with your kickstarter project meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Burner
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Posted directly from Kickstarter:

"Dear Readers, Backers and Supporters,

You've been so great to support the way you have over the past few days. I never dreamed I could see this kind of progress. You made me believe I could make something like this happen. Thank you so much for that. Unfortunately, I have unintentionally infringed upon a trademark held by Ken Frankin, another board game designer, on the name Plunder! Ken has been more than gracious, and very kind to boot, but I'm afraid I have to pull the plug on this project. It would take valuable market share away from his game when he releases it. He has been such a champ, and I hope you all look into his game and support it when it does make its way onto Kickstarter.

For now, though, I have to stop funding on this project.

That doesn't mean it has to die, if you don't want it to.

I'm going to re-tool the art, take time to thoroughly check that I'm not infringing upon anybody's rights, trademark my own name, and then re-release the project here again. I genuinely hope that you'll still want to be a part of it when I do. I have learned a valuable lesson at a steep cost. I'm sorry to everyone who has already pledged. It was an awesome two days, and the game will rise again.

For now, however, this is goodbye.

Thank you, everyone.

Sincerely,

David Burner"

We raised nearly 2,000 dollars in two days. I'm pretty happy with that. I'll take the feedback I've been given from all of you, make some tweaks, and release a print and play version of the game before I do anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
gestaltScribbler wrote:
Unfortunately, I have unintentionally infringed upon a trademark held by Ken Frankin, another board game designer, on the name Plunder!

That's interesting, in light of the fact that a quick BGG search reveals the following games...

Plunder (published 1937)

Plunder! (1983)

Plunder (1992)

Plunder (1997)

Plunder (2004)

...and several others that incorporate the word "plunder".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.