Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed the Mouse Guard comic series by David Petersen and I also regularly play the Mouse Guard RPG by Luke Crane. The comic art is breathtaking and the story is deep and evocative. The RPG captures the feel of the comics masterfully.

If you enjoy Mice&Mystics then you owe it to yourself to check out Mouse Guard, which most certainly must be the inspiration for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Holder
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbrundin wrote:
I've enjoyed the Mouse Guard comic series by David Petersen and I also regularly play the Mouse Guard RPG by Luke Crane. The comic art is breathtaking and the story is deep and evocative. The RPG captures the feel of the comics masterfully.

If you enjoy Mice&Mystics then you owe it to yourself to check out Mouse Guard, which most certainly must be the inspiration for this game.

I wish I had more than one thumb to give....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes very entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in getting the graphic novels. What is the order of the novels, to be sure I get them chronologically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into Mice and Mystics because I'd been playing the Mouse Guard RPG. I saw the description and said to myself "OMG, this game is to Mouse Guard as those D&D Adventures games are to D&D. SQUEE!"

My wife has been running Mouse Guard for a group of us. It's the first game she'd ever GM'd, so I was pretty excited to show her this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le-Roy Karunaratne
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
I'd be interested in getting the graphic novels. What is the order of the novels, to be sure I get them chronologically?

Fall is first. Then Winter then Legends of the Guard. I believe the order is here:http://www.mouseguard.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Big Mouse Guard fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Redwall, Mice Templar. Mouseguard is cool. Never played the MouseGuard RPG, but I'm more into boardgames, or games that don't require a GM.

To the OP, I take it you have played Mice & Mystics? How would you compare the two games? Do they have spells or magic in the Mouseguard RPG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousguard is more about surviving the elements and predators. Not really a magic kind of thing. It's about skill, having the right tool or weapon when needed, being able to assist your mouse watch fellows, and accomplishing your mission. You get rewarded for playing to your character's strengths and weaknesses, and their personality.

The two games have different kinds of scenarios and goals, with a completely different feel - at least for me and my family. YMMV.

You can pick up an official pdf of Mouse Guard inexpensively from rpg.drivethrustuff.com - be sure to get the base game rule book PLUS the second smaller booklet - the smaller booklet gives mor details, scenarios, and ideas for playing the rpg.

The only thing that really ties these two together - Mouse Guard and Mice n Mystics is that they involve mice and they are scenario driven. But Mice n Mystics has a boardgame feel with a storytelling aspect, while Mouse Guard really is an rpg.

Ti get an idea of the Mouse Guard stories/scenarios, pick up a comic book from amazon or drive thru rpg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No spells or magic in Mouse Guard, unless you count being able to determine the upcoming weather with enough success on a Weather Watcher roll. It's themed as identifying and predicting the weather, but mechanically you get to say what it will be.

Also: no humans. Or at least none that the society of intelligent mice that you play has ever seen. Which can be cool because it focuses on maintaining the internal logic of mouse society. On the other hand, interacting directly with humans and dealing with the stuff they've made in Mice and Mystics is also really cool in a different way.

In general what this means is that Mouse Guard is more down-to-earth and focuses more on dealing with natural threats. You're dealing with travel where a heavy rainfall can be potentially deadly because of your size, fighting off attacking animals, capturing weasel spies, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wrapping up a Mouse Guard PbF here on the 'geek:
[On Patrol] Mouse Guard PbF: Spring 1152 - Sprucetuck Patrol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
Just wrapping up a Mouse Guard PbF here on the 'geek:
[On Patrol] Mouse Guard PbF: Spring 1152 - Sprucetuck Patrol
Wow! That is pretty cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also run a regular play-by-google-docs Mouse Guard game. I agree with the above comments about the distinctions between M&M and MG. they're not the same, but similar enough that I thought you might like one if you like the other!

If anyone wants to see how a Mouse Guard RPG session goes, click this link and check out our game in progress. We're at the very end now...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sfeXoN1z7j_N4P7ZwCgRqU5o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another cool thing about Mouse Guard RPG: it's basically designed for kids so the systems are pretty simple and the book itself is entertaining. And character creation generates stats based on backstory choices you make. So whether you're more into story stuff or the numbers, you're by definition going to end up with both by the end of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two paws up for both the RPG and comic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.