Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be kind of hard without a diagram, but I will do my best. Let's say a unit is Stalwart, and is the forward-most unit of three friendly units, with the two adjacent supporting units behind it, in orientation towards the opponent, if this unit is attacked in melee from one of the two hexes directly in front of it, and two Morale [flag] results are rolled against it, since the primary retreat direction behind it is blocked, can the secondary, in this case "lateral" or "horizontal," retreat direction be used? The reason I ask is that this would be a lateral movement, and would not be towards the retreating player's side of the board, which I understand to be a requirement of the secondary direction taken in a Directional Retreat. If horizontal, or lateral, movement in the secondary retreat direction is not allowed (which I don't believe it is), then the second Morale [flag] result rolled against this unit would equal a hit, since the unit ought to retreat but cannot.

Opinions?...Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secondary retreat can only be the via the hex adjacent to the primary route and nearer to the players side of the board, who controls the retreating unit. You cant retreat in another direction if the primary and secodary are both blocked, the unit will suffer hits for the hexes it cannot retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
Secondary retreat can only be the via the hex adjacent to the primary route and nearer to the players side of the board, who controls the retreating unit. You cant retreat in another direction if the primary and secodary are both blocked, the unit will suffer hits for the hexes it cannot retreat.

Right, so my interpretation of this ruling is that a lateral, or "horizontal," retreat for a secondary retreat direction would not be allowed, and thus the 2nd Morale [fist] die roll result would equal a hit against the attacked unit.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horizontal retreat, to the sides of the board, could be possible, either if its the primary route because the units was attacked from the opposing side, or if it is secondary route, which means the attacker stands nearer to the defenders board side than the defender himself.

But if i got ypur scenario right, the attacker is coming from his side of the board, and in that case horizontal retreat wont happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent Jan, thanks, you have it right, that is exactly the answer I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.