Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems logical to do the tank armies ASAP. After that, what's the consensus... upgrading the regular infantry to an impressive 6-3 and 7-3, or doing the two shock armies?

The raw power of the shock armies is alluring. I'm worried that if they're upgraded too soon, before the Soviet army is widely upgraded and can provide adequate support to them, they'll frequently be blown up by direct German attacks or by the high chance of exchanges during Soviet attacks. Thus, being a big drain on the Soviet card income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really nice to have a Shock army as Strategic Reserve - that one unit can make a big difference in an attack anywhere on the map. But you don't really need them until you're attacking regularly.

I tend to go for a couple infantry armies first in 42, then a couple tank and/or shock armies to have a counterattack force for winter. And if you get the Lend Lease card a couple times, that can really help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oakfed wrote:
I tend to go for a couple infantry armies first in 42, then a couple tank and/or shock armies to have a counterattack force for winter. And if you get the Lend Lease card a couple times, that can really help.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer upgrading the infantry armies before the tank armies? In combat, tank armies perform the same as infantry in long winter and mud weather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
...but Infantry is more mobile in woods and mountains in mud and winter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
...but Infantry is more mobile in woods and mountains in mud and winter!

True. Good points. But you'd be trading off a base move of 4 for a 3. You'd also lose out on the armored column shift in clear and snow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to increase the strength of the army faster in 42 - you want to make it hard or impossible for the Germans to get 5-1 attacks on as many of your defended hexes as possible. At 4-1 or less, the Germans might get an EX or worse result.

IIRC, most of the tank armies are only 2 points stronger on the red side (except the 8-point one, which is a great eaerly upgrade), while all the infantry armies are 3 points stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note: I would LOVE to have tiny numbers on the counters, showing me the other side! *sigh*

I always flip counters until I find the one I'm searching for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oakfed wrote:
I want to increase the strength of the army faster in 42 - you want to make it hard or impossible for the Germans to get 5-1 attacks on as many of your defended hexes as possible. At 4-1 or less, the Germans might get an EX or worse result.

IIRC, most of the tank armies are only 2 points stronger on the red side (except the 8-point one, which is a great eaerly upgrade), while all the infantry armies are 3 points stronger.

Yes indeed. At first I do like now and then to upgrade a few infantry units first. It all depends on the general situation on the map. If things are bad and I know that i will not make many attacks soon, i prefer to get the "stronger2 infantry units and deploy them in critical objectives I need to defend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stosser
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the Southwest Front in Stalingrad as a replacement and then, as my first upgrade, made it into a Schock Army. That really paid off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.