Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a bit confused about the rule about blending.

Let's say there are three players in a region and they vote to blend. I understand that among these three players, they must have collectively -- at minimum -- 5 beans in their roasters. Since they must each provide at least 1 bean each to the blend, can the three stop pulling beans after three beans have been pulled (let's say one each) AND they have also been lucky enough to have created a Regular blend, for instance? Or must the last person to pull continue pulling in order to fulfill the 5 beans requirement?

In other words, is the sentence, "a team must be able to contribute a total of five beans collectively," referring to POTENTIAL to pull 5 beans, or to how many they are REQUIRED to pull collectively?

Because further down, the rules state, "A player cannot stop pulling beans if this will cause the Blend to be incomplete." This says (at least to me) that you CAN stop if at least each person has pulled one bean out AND a blend is complete. So could two people blending each pull the same color bean out and stop right there with a Decaf, provided their total at the start was at least 5 beans between the two of them in their roasters?

I know I am over thinking this, but getting the answer to this is critical to being able to play/teach this game tonight.

- Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The slate must be full (5 beans) with each player contributing at least 1 bean each. If there are 3 players, and the first two happen to pull 2 each laying down a Bold Blend (4 of a kind) the third player must still place 1 bean, this bean will either make it an Extra Bold blend, or supply the 'kicker' to the blend slate- the first bean to be removed during the degrading phase, thus saving the Bold blend's place on the top sellers list for 1 more turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daron Pitts
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

The way I understand the rules is that you must have 5 beans on a blend slate. Don't view "blend" as meeting one of the minimum criteria for scoring, view a "blend" as the 5 beans placed on the blend slate that will give you the ability to qualify for scoring.

Thus, you cannot stop until 5 beans are pulled. That's why a team can't blend if they don't have at least 5 beans in their collective roasters - since you can't complete a blend.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Happy gaming!

Daron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BogenBlitz wrote:
In other words, is the sentence, "a team must be able to contribute a total of five beans collectively," referring to POTENTIAL to pull 5 beans, or to how many they are REQUIRED to pull collectively?

It refers to the requirement. A complete Blend is a Blend that contains five beans. Remember, however, that the Free Bean space can provide one last bean to the Blend, hence the last part of the sentence above "a team must be able to contribute a total of five beans collectively, including using any Abilities, to create a Blend." Thus, a team that only has four collective beans in their Roasters could still Blend if the Blend Slate had a Free Bean space.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're poker hands, to be honest.

You can't make a poker hand with only 3 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
They're poker hands, to be honest.

You can't make a poker hand with only 3 cards.

Well, you can, just not in this particular brand of poker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies! Given three people pulling beans, I'm thinking that the person pulling first and second can "force" the third person to add three beans to the blend. That could bring up some interesting discussions -- I'm predicting -- when it comes time to decide who is going to pull first!

I can't wait to dig into this tonight!

(I'm thinking some electronica or jazz might make for good background music...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BogenBlitz wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies! Given three people pulling beans, I'm thinking that the person pulling first and second can "force" the third person to add three beans to the blend. That could bring up some interesting discussions -- I'm predicting -- when it comes time to decide who is going to pull first!

Oh, most definitely. Now you've got the right idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirkman wrote:
BogenBlitz wrote:

It refers to the requirement. A complete Blend is a Blend that contains five beans. Remember, however, that the Free Bean space can provide one last bean to the Blend, hence the last part of the sentence above "a team must be able to contribute a total of five beans collectively, including using any Abilities, to create a Blend." Thus, a team that only has four collective beans in their Roasters could still Blend if the Blend Slate had a Free Bean space.

Cheers,
Chris

Wow - I'm probably going to regret making an ignorant comment to the publisher of the game, but since that free bean actually requires a bean from the field, and two blends could have the same free bean on them (Cup-a-Diem and Carnivale have a free brown space) and only one brown bean left in the field, doesn't this mean people still need 5 beans between them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Billgrant wrote:
ckirkman wrote:
BogenBlitz wrote:

Cheers,
Chris

Wow - I'm probably going to regret making an ignorant comment to the publisher of the game, but since that free bean actually requires a bean from the field, and two blends could have the same free bean on them (Cup-a-Diem and Carnivale have a free brown space) and only one brown bean left in the field, doesn't this mean people still need 5 beans between them?

Yes, in that instance the team would need 5 collective beans. I guess if I continued my sentence above to include all eventualities it would say "Thus, a team that only has four collective beans in their Roasters could still Blend if the Blend Slate had a Free Bean space and there was a bean of the appropriate color available to take from The Fields.

In that rare instance, if two teams had the same brown Free Bean space and wished to use it and there was only one brown bean left in The Field, then the team with the member who has highest player turn order would get to take the bean. This also holds true when there is an insufficient amount of beans in The Field when multiple level-2 Select abilities are activated in the same round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirkman wrote:
Billgrant wrote:
ckirkman wrote:
BogenBlitz wrote:

Cheers,
Chris

Yes, in that instance the team would need 5 collective beans. I guess if I continued my sentence above to include all eventualities it would say "Thus, a team that only has four collective beans in their Roasters could still Blend if the Blend Slate had a Free Bean space and there was a bean of the appropriate color available to take from The Fields.

In that rare instance, if two teams had the same brown Free Bean space and wished to use it and there was only one brown bean left in The Field, then the team with the member who has highest player turn order would get to take the bean. This also holds true when there is an insufficient amount of beans in The Field when multiple level-2 Select abilities are activated in the same round.

Great - good to know. The rulebook is one of the best I've read, and this seems like a pretty unusual situation but the spirit of the rule makes complete sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.