Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Cook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying that this session was our group's second time ever playing Talisman, and as such, I'm sure the numerous rules we misread/misplayed/flat out broke would have caused a veteran player to sadly shake his/her head and leave. Our group consists of: me (Druid), my wife (Prophetess), my best friend (Dwarf/Troll), and his girlfriend (Minstrel). For this game, my brother-in-law (Warrior) also joins us.

The game begins and it is clear that the Prophetess and Dwarf are in it to win it. They are slaying every creature that they encounter and they are drawing creatures on nearly every turn. The Prophetess (my wife) clearly has it in for me tonight and is rolling white-hot against me. We play that the person to your right rolls for creatures in battle. I'm not sure if that is a house-rule or official, but it makes it fun for our group. Anyway, my wife is having the time of her life making mine miserable. If I roll a 5, she rolls a 6 and beats me. Meanwhile, the Minstrel and I have an unspoken agreement that we are going to have to stick together if we have a chance of catching up to the other two (this will be important later). About an hour into the game, the Dwarf draws Demon Craft 10 on the Sentinel Space and is killed! It should also be noted that neither Market Day nor Market are drawn for the entire game making it that much harder to get out of the Outer Region. We grind for what seems like forever, and I catch the luckiest of breaks. I draw Dragon Strength 7, not good as I have a whopping 3 Strenght, but I roll a 6 and my wife finally goes cold and rolls a 1! Yes! Finally! What?! The Minstrel throws down a spell card (sorry I forget the name), that states that the outcome of the battle is a standoff! Everyone, including myself, shares a hearty laugh and play resumes. (Inside, I am steaming mad. My wife has been handing my ass to me all night, and I finally catch a break only to have it voided by the person I least expected.) Warrior and Prophetess break into the Middle and then Inner Region, and through some extremely bad luck are forced back out to the Outer Region. The Minstrel siezes the opportunity and makes it to the CoC. And she is in there FOREVER! She starts off strong taking out me and the Warrior(bragging the whole time about how she is going to win), and much much later my wife, but then she goes cold. She rolls something ungodly like 12 consecutive 1, 2, or 3s...and Troll is coming! There is now a growing feeling of anticipation as he gets closer and closer to the CoC. Can he really do this? Can he come back from the dead? He makes it to the Inner Region and the Minstrel starts to heat up. She hits him for a life when he makes it to Dice with Death. She hits him for another life at the Werewolf Den and takes him down to 1 life. It seems like it has all been for naught. He was going to be killed right on the doorstep of the CoC. He makes it to the Valley of Fire, she rolls a 3. He enters the CoC and casts Toadify! She rolls and is Toaded! After the laughter and yelling died down, play continued. She comes out of being Toaded with one life. Each player now has one life left. She rolls a 3 and Troll rolls a 5 for the win! She was in the CoC for so long that she was having mail forwarded there...and still lost!

Witnessing 5 adults jumping and screaming in delight and anguish based on the outcome of a boardgame was definitely worth the price of a boardgame and a few beers. We have currently completed around 6 games, and even though none have come close to the excitement of this one, we always have a good time and can't wait for our next session.

There are probably numerous instances where we misapplied rules, but man did we have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And at the end of day, having fun trumps slavishly following the rules. Glad to see you had a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
It comes in pints? I'm getting one!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up! I've wanted to play this game for a while now and this just makes me want to even more. Unfortunately, I'm still in the party game phase with my wife and game group. I'm slowly trying to move them in this direction but it'll be a little while yet. Settlers of Catan is next on the agenda followed by The Adventurers so I'm hoping those will be received well as gateway drugs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! I've had few games that end in a similarly epic fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
This is why I prefer Talisman to every other RPG-adventure BG. It encourages fun! The rules encourage common sense interpretations! It can be played quickly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls