Magnum
Magnum
Install Toolbox

10 Credits
Draw PAD
Draw Data Raven
Install ICE1 HQ
+1 Credit
Am I missing something here? Why did the Corp not have to pay 2 credits to install ICE3 into RS1 (thus giving him 8 on the next turn, not 10)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Am I missing something here? Why did the Corp not have to pay 2 credits to install ICE3 into RS1 (thus giving him 8 on the next turn, not 10)?

Excellent question. Either I forgot to pay, or the log is mistaken- probably the first. Apologies FileAccess :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FileAccess wrote:
My concern was that I didn't know what two of his ICE on the RS1 were, and I wanted to maintain a significant credit advantage so he couldn't use SEA Source to double Scorched Earth me after I ran SanSan.

This would be a good place to reveal that I play an "opportunistic" NBN deck. There are several one-ofs: Ghost Branch, Archer, Scorched Earth, Closed Accounts and SanSan. I am counting on Aggressive Negotiation to fetch me a specific card if needed. Another advantage is that having just one Scorched Earth in the deck makes your tags that much more effective.

FileAccess wrote:
5 Credits
Diesel
--Draw Diesel, Sure Gamble, Gordian Blade
Sure Gamble
Sure Gamble
Install Gordian

Unfortunately that meant that my Enigmas became mostly useless. Fortunately, Tollbooth remains effective vs. Gordian Blade (the magic number is twelve Credits: seven for Tollbooth, five for Red Herring).

FileAccess wrote:
10 Credits
Diesel
--Draw Tinkering, Tinkering, Lemuria
Tinkering ICE1 RS1
Run RS1
--ICE1: rez, Tollbooth
--Break
--Successful run, access SanSan
+1 Credit

I felt comfortable installing an empty SanSan in game 1 since I knew FileAccess does not have Bank Job (furthermore, I tend to believe Bank Job is not optimal in Shaper). As for the option of him trashing it, a) he did not have the Credits, and b) I was counting on his greed to wait at least until I rez it, giving me flexibility in the matter. Little did I know that this SanSan would survive till the end of the game.

FileAccess wrote:
4 Credits
Draw Maker's Eye
Run HQ
--Successful run, access Snare!, activate
--Discard Maker's Eye, Tinkering, Lemuria
--Take tag
Remove Tag
+1 Credit

Hitting both Marker's Eye AND Tinkering lowered the pressure levels dramatically, buying me a lot of time.

FileAccess wrote:
8 Credits
Draw Magnum Opus
Install Magnum Opus
Magnum
Magnum

As FileAccess admitted at the end of the game, he's addicted to Magnum. I think he had way too much money during this game, esp. given the option of Closed Accounts (which wiped a substantial amount of Credits in our game 1). I think he should have Magnumed less and ran more, probing my defenses.

FileAccess wrote:
11 Credits
Draw Hedge Fund
Advance RS1
Advance RS1
Score Breaking News
--Take two tags
Scorched Earth
--Discard Stimhack, Personal Touch, Infiltration, Lemuria
--Remove two tags

Since FileAccess had a Decoy set up, I knew that my chances of flatlining him are low (it could happen- run into a Snare! with his third click, for example). I decided to leverage the earlier Snare! and throw my lone Scorched Earth now. Limit his options and force him to draw a bit.

FileAccess wrote:
9 Credits
Draw Private Security Forces
Rez RS1, SanSan
Advance RS1
Advance RS1
Advance RS1
Score RS1, Priority Req
--Rez ICE2 RS1, Data Raven

This was a pivotal decision, in my opinion. I emptied my coffers to score these three points and set up SanSan, both as a bait and for future Agendas. I would have preferred to rez the Tollbooth that was in my hand, but had no time to install it and had to go for a Data Raven instead.

FileAccess wrote:
Discard Wall of Static

This is going to happen a lot. I did not feel my Wall of Static and Enigma were worth the trouble given FileAccess' rig and financial situation. This game would be won by buying time and bluffing, not through sheer force.

FileAccess wrote:
Install Femme Fatale, ICE1 RS1, Tollbooth

FileAccess is a surgeon with his Femme Fatale, hitting three Tollbooths and a Data Raven during our three games (this is the only case where the Tollbooth was rezzed, in the other cases he guessed well).

FileAccess wrote:
3 Credits
Draw Enigma
Install RS1
+1 Credit
+1 Credit

The worst case scenario is that FileAccess runs this server and trashes my PAD Campaign and SanSan. Fortunately, I managed to rez PAD Campaign, marking this server as irrelevant till I was ready to use it for Agendas.

FileAccess wrote:
23 Credits
Draw Femme Fatale
Modded, install Femme Fatale, trash Femme Fatale, ICE2 R&D
Run R&D
--ICE2: no rez
--ICE1: Hunter
--Trace unsuccessful
--Successful run, access Private Security Forces, score
Magnum

At this stage there are four Agendas left in my deck, if I recall correctly: one Priority Requisition and all three AstroScripts. The deck was still relatively thin, so I felt that I need to gamble that FileAccess lets my SanSan be, and that I get the AstroScript before he wins the game.

FileAccess wrote:

14 Credits
Draw Melange
Draw Autoscript
Install RS1, trash RS1
Advance RS1
Discard Aggressive Negotiations

And then I did! Huzzah! Right now the plan is to Astroscript and then use the token + SanSan to score PSF. I planted Ghost Branch to smoke an Infiltration and/or gain two more precious turns.

FileAccess wrote:

10 Credits
Draw PAD
Install RS1
Advance RS1
Advance RS1
Astroscript, RS1
Score RS1, Private Security Forces
Victory

FileAccess already discussed his decision not to trash SanSan when he could- when active, it's NBN's most powerful card. If you have the financial capability, trash it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report! I found it amusing that the Runner's opening hand had only one native card in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
FileAccess wrote:

5 Credits
Diesel
--Draw Diesel, Sure Gamble, Gordian Blade
Sure Gamble
Sure Gamble
Install Gordian
[/c]

I think you should hold off on installing Gordian Blade until you're ready to run; seeing it lets your opponent make better choices about which ICE to put down. Drop the decoy instead.

Opponent's naked turn 1 RS1 is interesting; you should have some idea what it means in this opponent. I'd be very tempted to run on the unguarded HQ as well, but he's certainly not acting like he mulliganed into a bunch of agendas. Still, risk/reward is pretty high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.