Emad Saghir
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
So the website says I need to buy 2 core sets to play with 4 players. Can't I just buy 1 core set and an adventure pack to do the same rather than have duplicate heroes and decks? And if not, what are the rules of having duplicates during gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emad Saghir
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
I think I just realized that perhaps it's so that everyone gets a threat counter and what not.

Well in that case, I would be interested to know how people deal with duplicate cards. I think it would be kind of lame to have duplicate heroes in the game and that should be a no-no. And what of other cards then?

I'm really interested in getting this game so any help would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a rule about the unique characters in the rule book! Only one copy in play at a time!

To play a 4 player game you can simply use one core set and use something else to track the threat of two of the four players! Write it down or use a d100...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael peterson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAAx87 wrote:
There is a rule about the unique characters in the rule book! Only one copy in play at a time!

To play a 4 player game you can simply use one core set and use something else to track the threat of two of the four players! Write it down or use a d100...

This is what I was thinking. I know there is a rule that you can only have one unique card on the table at a time. This would include the awesome Gandalf card. I would say 3 players with 1 core and 1 adventure pack but 4 might be stretching it. I bet there are others that know better than I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm, to play legal decks the core sets last for two players. But you can play with the premade decks and every player takes one sphere. So there should be no problem to play a four player game with only the core set. But I have to say, LotR: LCG is best with 2 players, I would recommend also soloplay but with three or four players it doesn't scale very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you can't have duplicate heroes or more than 3 of the same card in one deck, but diff. players CAN each have 3 of the same card in a deck (so you and another player could each have 3 gandalf in your deck). 2 sets would also fill in a couple of the missing multiples in the core set (extra Unexpected Courage, Horn of Gondor, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emad Saghir
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
FAAx87 wrote:
Uhm, to play legal decks the core sets last for two players.

I don't quite understand what you mean.

FAAx87 wrote:

But I have to say, LotR: LCG is best with 2 players, I would recommend also soloplay but with three or four players it doesn't scale very well.

Is the scaling really bad? Does it become very easy with 4 players? Are there any specific quests that do scale well? I was really looking for a 3+ multiplayer game that is fully cooperative. It would be unfortunate if this was best solo or just 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely not an expert in deckbuilding, but the biggest reason to have more than one core set is to have multiple copies of the same card. There are a few good cards in the core set that only have one copy. You are allowed to have up to three copies of a card in your deck, and if you are playing with two players, one core set wouldn't allow you each to have three copies of Gandalf, for example. You can only have one copy of a unique character in play at a time, but you can certainly have Gandalf come and go multiple times in a game (which fits the theme of Gandalf from the books pretty well). So even if only two people are playing, it can be beneficial to have more than one core set.

Another point is that a lot of the fun of the game can come from running decks with multiple spheres of influence, rather than the monosphere starter decks. With multiple spheres (usually two), you can have some good synergy in your deck, and with two players covering all four spheres, you can really get some good interaction.

Anyways, hope that helps. Have fun playing!

ninja Ouch! Ninja'ed by John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FAAx 87
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kraghack wrote:

Is the scaling really bad? Does it become very easy with 4 players? Are there any specific quests that do scale well? I was really looking for a 3+ multiplayer game that is fully cooperative. It would be unfortunate if this was best solo or just 2 players.

In my opinion yes! Most of the time I play this game 2-player. But I played some solo rounds as well. We only tried 3-player with the quests from the core set and it was way too easy. There was no challenge at all.

Later quests seem to scale a little bit better because they have some mechanics which try to balance the problem with more players but I haven't tried them with three players (and I'm not looking forward to do ). All in all I wouldn't suggest this game for you if you want to play with three or four players most of the time.

But there are other full cooperative games for four players! Gears of War and/or Arkham Horror come into my mind. They are no deckbuilding- and no real cardgames of course but the work excellent with 3 or 4 players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends..

I personally think that 2nd core set is a worth of it. You get more Gandalfs, so every deck can use 3 of them. You get extra copies of many player cards, so you can put more of them in one deck or spread them between your 4 decks.
The most unusefull part will be 6 duplicate heroes and all extra encounter cards. I mostly use them as an backround for fan-made scenario cards. Waste not, want not!
3 core sets is a strech, 4 or more elitist :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emad Saghir
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
Excellent feedback guys, that explains a ton. I will definitely get two core sets if I play with 3-4 people. Thanks for all the responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own everything from this game and play it in 3 or 4 players. Never felt the need for a 2nd base game. Even now, after everyone sorts out their deck, we still only use about 40%, if not less, of every color.

Sincerely, I would advice this: buy the game + khazad expansion. See if you really enjoy playing it. If you do, you will get all the expansions and AP anyways. This means a ton of cards.
For me, its just overkill to get 2 base games when you dont even know if you will like playing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play 4P with the base set, so try that first - use pencils and paper to keep track of threat levels.

After that, a couple of adventure packs will get you deck-building. Or as above, get Khazad-Dum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The scaling to 3 or 4 is very quest dependant. Encounter decks with a decent % of surge can get out of hand very quick with 3 or 4 players.

The main reason you want an xtra core set are sneak attack and test of will. You get 2 of each in the core set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weidus
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to have a few decks ready to play, so having 2 core sets makes it easier to have good decks already made. So having 2 Thalins isn't a problem, because I don't have to keep swapping him between decks.

And to be honest, half the fun of the game is deck building for me, so if I had a friend who had this and he made a few decks and we'd play together with his decks, I think the fun would die out much faster than everyone owning their own cards.

However, I know this isn't always possible, which I guess is the major downside to this awesome game. A complete buy in from scratch most likely will cost you $200+ and people just trying the core game and judging the game doesn't do the actual game any justice.

There's always OCGTN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.