Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colossal Arena VS Condottiere

So this is fairly straightforward. And I know this won't be a scientific poll

But both these games look like something I'd be interested in for a 5 player experience. They're both cheap, so I won't feel bad about spending some $$$ before XMas.

I love light-mid type games that play in about an hour that allow for fun interaction & backstabbiness. Bonus points of you feel a bit of the theme. Usually I play with 5 players. Both these seem like they fit that bill, but which do you think is the better bang for my buck?

Thanks for your input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Condottiere is by far better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kornhaus
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I've never played Colossal Arena, I can heartily recommend Condottiere. There's a lot of game packed into that little box.

This review made the game a must-buy for me:

http://www.shutupshow.com/post/9660704059/review-condottiere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Colossal Arena, and while I enjoy it, it is a surprisingly difficult game to teach. I don't know if that matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Condottiere and I enjoy playing it. I've never played Colossal Arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
I have only played Colossal Arena, and while I enjoy it, it is a surprisingly difficult game to teach. I don't know if that matters.
Agree. It also takes a few games for everyone to "get" the creature powers.
In Condotierre, the cards are quickly memorized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to disagree.

I found Condotierre very simple and more closely related to trick taking games like Hearts or Spades than other hobby board games. You hold good cards back until someone else expends theirs, but there isn't a whole lot of meat there.

I can't comment firsthand on Colossal Arena's strengths, but just looking at the mechanics and rules it is the better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colossal Arena didn't thrill me and didn't get requested again after the first play. I traded it away after about a year of it being unplayed.

Condotierre, though unplayed for a while now mostly due to time constraints and Glory to Rome taking over as *the* card game de rigueur, was well received and played repeatedly after buying it, and will likely be kept. With a full compliment of players it gets nasty on that little board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Condotiere, but I can tell you that Colossal Arena isn't at its best w/ 5 players. The sweet spot is 3-4, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback, all! I'll have to look up Glory to Rome, I hadn't heard of that one! Also interesting to hear about time constraints keeping Condo from being played--I had been under the impression that it was a solid 60 minute game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Netherlands
Zutphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Condotierre is one of my favourite games, and one of my best remembered gaming experiences.

Then I played it with the 3rd version rules (FF) and I wondered who'd taken my game away. Too many powerful cards, no tension etc.
Couldn't get a 2nd version for a decent price so I bought a 3rd version, chucked some cards out, took a permanent marker to some others, and now I've got my game back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Condotiere is a staple on my game night and it scales well. I think it's an excellent game. Yeah, it is a card game that is closely related to some of those mentioned above...but if you like trick taking games and bidding games, you will appreciate this one.

Personally, I do enjoy this one. I am speaking of the rule set of the second version. I don't know what the newest version is like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and enjoyed both games...I've also given each the same rating. Both have lots of interaction and opportunities for backstabbing. Since you also mention that you like games that play in an hour, I'd go with Colossal Arena; we usually play with 5 and have never had a game go over an hour...

Most of our games of Condottiere, when playing with 5, have gone over an hour...a few have even stretched upwards to almost 2 hours. The longer games were still fun but thought I'd mention that since you listed time as a factor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback, all! I'll have to look up Glory to Rome, I hadn't heard of that one! Also interesting to hear about time constraints keeping Condo from being played--I had been under the impression that it was a solid 60 minute game.

Oh, yes. Glory to Rome is fabulous. My wife isn't a huge fan, so most of the time I end up playing it using the SoloPlay rules posted on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and I believe Condotierre is a better game. It's more fun, intuitive and easier to explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.