Paul Phillips
United States
BLUE SPRINGS
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This price is just a few cents above the lowest historical price on Amazon and is only about .60 higher than CSI and Miniature Market

http://www.amazon.com/Thunderstone-Advance-Towers-Of-Ruin/dp...

Check out history here:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Thunderstone-Advance-Towers-Of-Ru...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hot deal? looks to be in stock and priced less at boards/bits... while FSSS, imho not usually enough to count as a "hot deal" from my understanding in the pinned thread

What's a hot deal?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Phillips
United States
BLUE SPRINGS
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for most of us, anytime we can get a single game for the online gaming store price without having to meet the $100 requirement for free shipping, it's a deal.

Also, there are a lot of people who use Amazon points to buy games, so anytime that game hits its all time historical low, they like to know about it.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hecubus667 wrote:
Well, for most of us, anytime we can get a single game for the online gaming store price without having to meet the $100 requirement for free shipping, it's a deal.

Also, there are a lot of people who use Amazon points to buy games, so anytime that game hits its all time historical low, they like to know about it.


^^^ This.

Personally I'm never in a rush for a single title and don't mind putting together the $100+ orders it takes to get free shipping.

Even so, apples to apples anytime a game on Amazon gets to within a few dollars of OLGS pricing WITH free shipping of course it's a hot deal, because buying the single game from any OLGS would cost a minimum of $7-15 more for shipping alone depending on the weight and size.

Unless the game is below OLGS prices on Amazon it's not an instant buy for me personally, but given the frequency of other threads with countless appreciative "just bought it" posts and thumbs, it's obvious the community greatly appreciates these being posted, and they are indeed seen as "hot deals" for many.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
hot deal? looks to be in stock and priced less at boards/bits... while FSSS, imho not usually enough to count as a "hot deal" from my understanding in the pinned thread

What's a hot deal?


I just do not get how Mr. Jeffy Jeff continually feels a need to police the Hot Deals section.

As the other two mentioned, if it's a few dollars close to OLGS pricing BUT it has free shipping, it's a good deal for a gamer who may not want to put a large order together.

And the pinned thread is a set of GUIDELINES, a loose set at that. I can't even see ANYTHING in those guidelines that would make you think this isn't warranted to be posted in the hot deals section.

EDIT: Boards and Bits is only 70 cents cheaper, has only 1 copy left, and they aren't fully up and running with their shipments yet.



Jorune
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Bogerly
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I value the opinions of "Not a hot deal" if it is done in a polite manner, as JeffyJeff seems to do. If we're only allowed to voice positive opinions, every deal sounds hot.

For another data point (with no value judgement): $29.99 at Sci-Fi-City:
http://shop.sci-fi-city.com/product_info.php?products_id=625...
Free shipping at $100.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A T
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
I appreciate that Paul Philips posted the information about this. Not everyone can drop 100 dollars on boardgames just so they can meet free shipping. Just because someone can afford to drop 70 dollars extra on games just to buy one game does not mean everyone else can (or wants to in my case). I either drop 70 dollars extra or I drop 3 dollars extra.

I do have a question out of all this, how does this post violate the hot deals rule? I read the first post and I fail to see what jeffy jeff is suggesting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just do not get how Mr. Jeffy Jeff continually feels a need to police the Hot Deals section.


Personally I appreciate Jeffy taking time to do the policing, it often means I don't have to. I'd have to track down the sticky, quote, link, and well look there someone's already done it

Quote:
I do have a question out of all this, how does this post violate the hot deals rule? I read the first post and I fail to see what jeffy jeff is suggesting.


It's not a hot deal because it's the same price as anywhere else. That's not a 'hot deal' it's, well, a normal deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
chuckhazard wrote:

It's not a hot deal because it's the same price as anywhere else. That's not a 'hot deal' it's, well, a normal deal.


But it's not the same price as everywhere else. Everywhere else charges shipping.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckhazard wrote:
Quote:
I just do not get how Mr. Jeffy Jeff continually feels a need to police the Hot Deals section.


Personally I appreciate Jeffy taking time to do the policing, it often means I don't have to. I'd have to track down the sticky, quote, link, and well look there someone's already done it

Quote:
I do have a question out of all this, how does this post violate the hot deals rule? I read the first post and I fail to see what jeffy jeff is suggesting.


It's not a hot deal because it's the same price as anywhere else. That's not a 'hot deal' it's, well, a normal deal.


I don't mind the guy doing the policing...when he's right. In this case he isn't and that's the point. He backed his point up by a link to some guidelines that in no way backs up his 'opinion'.

jorune
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
chuckhazard wrote:

It's not a hot deal because it's the same price as anywhere else. That's not a 'hot deal' it's, well, a normal deal.


But it's not the same price as everywhere else. Everywhere else charges shipping.


The question was what is Jeffy Jeff suggesting. I think I got it right, although I expect he's long gone.

To your point, Amazon charges shipping as well, but their free shipping threshold (and only on certain items) is lower than other stores. In this case the item price and threshold align in such a way that this purchase is a good deal if you only want the one item.

For the sake of argument, Funagain has free shipping on orders over $75, while CSI hits the mark at $100. That makes every $75 game at Funagain a deal, if you only want that one game. I think I would get yelled at for posting all of them though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:


I don't mind the guy doing the policing...when he's right. In this case he isn't and that's the point. He backed his point up by a link to some guidelines that in no way backs up his 'opinion'.

jorune


I think the case is borderline. However, at least you'll know when you see JJ posting a hot deal that it's hotter than average.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckhazard wrote:

For the sake of argument, Funagain has free shipping on orders over $75, while CSI hits the mark at $100. That makes every $75 game at Funagain a deal, if you only want that one game. I think I would get yelled at for posting all of them though.


Nonsense. This is the lowest price you can get this single game to your door from any online retailer at the moment which DOES make it a worthwhile deal that a great many people here appreciate hearing about.

It is also most certainly not an every day deal as the price was recently lowered, and this is the lowest it has ever been with free shipping included.

If you posted any single $75+ game at funagain that was recently lowered to a point that it was the cheapest you could get it to your door vs any other retailer, not only would you not get yelled at, people would thank you and give the post thumbs… just like this one.

This is not in any way a violation of the forum guidelines, and suggesting otherwise is not only ungracious to those who are volunteering their effort for the benefit of the community but discourages folks from sharing deals like this one that countless others have appreciated and benefited from.

It's one thing to post "CSI has this for $2 less, not that hot a deal imo", and another altogether to frame that opinion as an accusation that someone is breaking a rule or not honoring forum guidelines.

As the mods have continually stated, if you think something is a rules violation that is what the red x is for and they will come and review the post.

Fact is no mod here is ever going to delete a post like because it is entirely within BGG guidelines and posted to the appropriate forum regardless of what some individuals may think of the deal.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:


This is not in any way a violation of the forum guidelines, and suggesting otherwise is not only ungracious to those who are volunteering their effort for the benefit of the community but discourages folks from sharing deals like this one that countless others have appreciated and benefited from.



This. I would rather someone with a not-so-hot deal post than someone with a hot deal NOT post because of the constant policing that goes on.

It's not like we get a ton of hot deals and need them filtered.

Jorune


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A T
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thank you for responding. I can see both sides of the argument. For myself, I have never shopped at the other online boardgame sites due to the high free shipping requirement. So, I do appreciate the heads up on this deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Bogerly
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a good chuckle, look how much has not changed. This was posted in 2009 here

UndeadViking wrote:

More importantly, everyone should just not really care this much.

There will always be four constants in the Hot Deals forum:

1, People will complain about people posting things without a country tag by the post.

2. People will post items that are questionably "hot" or that are repeats.

3. JeffyJeff will post a reply questioning the validity of the post in question if it falls under constant #2.

4. The vast majority of the people reading the Hot Deals forum won't give two craps either way.


I would add:
5. People will complain about complainers. Iterate.

Please, don't let me interrupt.
3 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:

More importantly, everyone should just not really care this much.

There will always be four constants in the Hot Deals forum:

1, People will complain about people posting things without a country tag by the post.

2. People will post items that are questionably "hot" or that are repeats.

3. JeffyJeff will post a reply questioning the validity of the post in question if it falls under constant #2.

4. The vast majority of the people reading the Hot Deals forum won't give two craps either way.


Okay that is absolutely priceless. Thank you so much for digging that up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.