Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played MK with a couple of friends in our group a few times co-operatively; it's always been a blast, even though we've won exactly once. Mostly I play it solo, because it's one of those games I prefer to be able to puzzle over at my leisure.

After 7 or 8 attempts at banging my head against the Solo Conquest, it finally happened: I won.

Tovak, on the last night, finally conquered the second city. Despite my rather bad score of 116, I can't recall many solo play games where I've felt such an immense amount of satisfaction after winning (surviving the full RAF campaign comes closest I think).

With each game, I got a little bit closer; I remember my first time out I ended the game with a whopping 4 tiles explored; I remember staring at the stack of unexplored tiles, with the cities hiding somewhere in the lower 4 and thinking, "How the @#$! am I supposed to do this?!?"

Slowly but surely, I was learning - not answers, but what questions to ask: what was necessary for a good movement rate? How to balance ending locations so that I was primed for the next turn? How to weigh card abilities based on what I needed to do in the short and long term?

And that's what struck me as remarkable about the game after I won last night; I felt like finally I had won because I had actually gained skill in playing, instead of just weathering a storm of random events.

And the best part? I can't wait for more. Now that I know I can have some success, I'm eager to try to beat my score, and to try other solo variants - different maps, objectives, heroes, whatever. It truly does get more rewarding - and fun - the more I play it, and that's the highest praise I can give a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Now start raising the city levels. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you betcha that's next on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I know generally the reviews of MK have been positive, but quite a lot of them have been negative to the extreme of people saying it was the most painful experience ever, they absolutely hate the game, etc. So it is nice to read that someone understands that this is a difficult and complex game and does take a while to get to grips with. And when they do, it just gets better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
You express my feelings exactly. I just recently won my first solo conquest on the 7th try (Norowas, 198 pts.), and felt the same way; that I'd earned that victory through a lot of learning and experience. Very satisfying, but also good to know that there's a lot more to experience and more learning needed. There are several city levels higher than 4!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
I felt like finally I had won because I had actually gained skill in playing, instead of just weathering a storm of random events.

If the pure joy and satisfaction that is Mage Knight should ever be rated in one sentence, it would be this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.