Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a simple variant for Kingdom Builder that removes the handcuffs from the single terrain card draw, but increases risk by offering another decision. Below is the variant:

The Variant
When drawing a terrain card you have the option to DISCARD that card for a new card from the top of the deck. If you choose to discard the first card drawn, you DO NOT have to show the terrain type to your opponents but you must play the next terrain card you draw as normal.

That's it..simple, yet full of risk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
How is that a risk? The penalty for discarding is that you have to play as written?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
How is that a risk? The penalty for discarding is that you have to play as written?

And the reward is you may pull the exact terrain you were hoping for. Risk: Do I gamble? Reward: Woo hoo, got what I was hoping for! Penalty: F-ers, that's even worse than the last terrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
The whole point of the game is the handcuffs

Making the most of limited resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
The whole point of the game is the handcuffs

Making the most of limited resources.

Unfortunately for some this game feels as much "on rails" as it does make the most with what you got. As one friend pointed his entire game felt scripted due to card draw. That's no fun no matter how you spin it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
As one friend pointed his entire game felt scripted due to card draw.

A big part of the early game is about making sure that doesn't happen to you. It *can* happen, but it's usually a sign of poor play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.