Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Splitting starting settlements - legal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. In fact, it's almost always a terrible idea to put them close together in a normally "legal" position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
yep. Settlement 2 can go on any legal (2 or more hex edges away from any other settlement) intersection.

They don't have to connect. And as Nate said, it's preferable to separate them.

This is an advantage to player 4, though I prefer seat 3 as you can usually guess where player 4 will play and give yourself 2 or 3 alternative options.

Initial placement is perhaps the most important decision you'll make during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkenAngel wrote:
By this I mean if I place my first settlement in one place, road attached.. can I then go to a second site three roads sections away and drop my second settlement there?

Yes, but only during the initial setup of the game. Once playing, all your settlements have to connect to one of the roads you've established.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'm fairly certain that none of the settlements in 1st-time-play setup would be connected-legal. So if anyone in your group asks you can show them that example setup.

(Too lazy to look at my copy right now to check though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Barbuto
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
Also, I'm fairly certain that none of the settlements in 1st-time-play setup would be connected-legal. So if anyone in your group asks you can show them that example setup.

It's possible if the two starting roads connect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
OtubrabNad wrote:
yaverot wrote:

It's possible if the two starting roads connect.

Pulling out the book this time:
page 3 same map on the final page (16) with addition letters.

Both Red settlements are on the 11 hex in the middle, each has a road leaving north from it, therefore they don't connect and therefore the starting settlements don't have to be connected by a road as questioned by the OP.

Edit: and I see the OP has decided to delete his/her post just to add confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.