Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Andean Abyss» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Organizational Forum For Play-By-Forum Video-Enhanced Game Of Andean Abyss rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ahoy players! You are:

M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
(it was your idea, remember?)

Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb

and me.

1. This is going to be fun!
2. We should decide who'll play what. h00sha (do you capitalize it at the beginning of a sentence?) would like to be either Cartel or AUC. Anyone using a sock-puppet should probably be AUC or Government. Rocking Horse Dreams, as a new player should maybe not be Government. I'm AUC in my heart, but I can be easily turned. What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jealous! I will just heckle everyone's game decisions from afar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang! This looks like fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony better show his face or the thing is a farce.

I'm working on getting a better camera AND the game, things are happening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Show my face?

I have no preference to sides.

AUC or Government if noone else cares.

My vids will be best if i am AUC or the commies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For reasons best left unsaid I'd like to be the Cartels, if everyone is agreeable. If we were playing Here I Stand I'd be the Turks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For those who would've liked to participate, fear not! Since we're not starting for a couple months (looks like), there's a good chance someone might die or something before we actually begin or maybe we could do another one.

Alrighty, so, Tony'd prefer Government or AUC, but would film best as AUC or FARC. Warren would like to be AUC or Cartel and Rocking Horse's Dreams would like to be Cartel. So, if this were a logic puzzle, which it is, then this is how it ought to work out:
Rocking Horse's Dreams- Cartel
h00sha- AUC
Tony and Hello Gregor (me)- Government and FARC (Tony Clifton is arguably more entertaining as FARC, but would prefer to be the government.)

I prefer Tony as the Government because I think it would actually be more entertaining to have a puppet telling me what to do than kidnapping my son only to raise him to be fair-minded when I refuse to pay the ransom. I love him, but it is for the best. Plus, I'm horrible at games and it's better, I think, if the Government is on the competent side. So, a proposal:

Rock- Cartel
h00s- AUC
Hell- FARC
Tony- Government

Agreed? Counter-Proposal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the term is huzzah.

When is everyone wanting to start? If needed I could scrounge up some scratch and snag this baby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't begin until I finish that 7 X 7 Ages game- need the table space, so it'll be a couple months, I expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Government it is. What will we talk about till h-hour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We talk procedure!

3. How do y'all want to handle videos? Let me clarify. Ideally, how'd work is y'all send me video talking heads (or socks or bellies, or whatever) talking about your own point of view of things. Now, if we were all playing, you may or may not want to go into that much detail in your thought process (I've played with both types.) So, we could either A) not worry about it and keep the videos reasonably apace with play or B) do some sort of delay and/or trust wherein you send them to me as we go along but I promise not to watch/edit them until it's all over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with openly discussing/recording my thought process as I play; will try to stay on point whistle. It helps that there's a negotiation element in the game so there's supposed to be some table talk anyway. Speaking of which, will we GM each other with negotiation proposals or will those discussions be public? Dang... this is going to be a lengthy project! Bring it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an opinion regarding the vid work. I haven't done anything like this (boardgame video) before.

As far as negotiations go, I think they should be open. Not only would it show how that part of the game works (making it more interesting for anyone following)... It would also serve to allow people to make "counter-offers"

Maybe a little more dynamic and fun as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree about open, on the forum negotiations.

Video-wise, this is an area without much precedent. There's the series Rockinghorsedreams and I did for Duel of Ages awhile back, but I don't remember what we decided. Traditional DAR/AARs give the thoughts of the player as play commences. Traditional play-by-forum games don't to the same degree. If folks are to be following along, forum and video, it'd probably be nice if the videos were done in a timely manner (do people watch old sporting events as much as the current game?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
Heckling from the Peanut Gallery......

Nice to see you trying multiplayer with REAL PEOPLE, Gregor!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of open thought process too, time delay or not. We could send moves along with the video, but the video could be compiled after the turn(s) are completed. Without, of course, adding too much work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nigel66 wrote:

Funny-man stand-up comedian come-back....
Oh.. Oh a wise guy, eh? Well, um, let me tell you it's true. I know a thing or two about Real People. You've heard of gaydar? Well I've got what you call raydar. That's right, I can sense when someone's a real person or not. Yeah. And I'm getting nothing from you. I mean, first of all, a Brit named Nigel? Riiiiiggghhht. Real original. And let's see, what's that number- 66? What's a matter, couldn't your manufacturer come up with two DIFFERENT numbers? I can just imagine what it was like in the lab, "Well, if he's going to be on the Internet, he's going to need a number by his name, how about 6? My daughter's 6. Hmmm.. Usually they have more than one number. How about another 6? Yeah, I've got twins. Oh right, a name? What, he's supposed to be British? Alan? No, not specific enough? Charles? Too Mansony with the double 6 and all... I got it! Nigel!"
Seriously, it's great to have you out. Just maybe get a tune-up first next time, eh? Seriously, your wires are showing.
Alright, ha ha, really now, we have fun. We kid. We jest. Kind of like the holidays, you know? Family. Poking fun at each other, all in jest of course, my ma, "I wish you got a head-wound so I could put a tourniquette around your neck!" Funny stuff, my family. Comics, the lot of them.
So it was Thanksgiving last week. You guys celebrate Thanksgiving? Great holiday. Lots of laffs. Heard on the radio that a turkey leg is indistinguishable from a raptor leg. You know those guys in Jurassic Park? Hey, if you can scare Jeff Goldblum, you got me freaked. Anyway, turns out they're related. Yeah, turkeys are dinos, baby. Seriously though, it's funny, if you think about it. We put burn a bunch of dinosaurs to get across country or wherever to sit around a table and sup on one with a bunch of old dinosaurs who we don't even like, and try not to talk politics, because, what, that'd be uncouth? Here we are gnawing on dino bones trying to be civil? All the while, great aunt Alice is all, "Gwwweee-Aaahh, Gwee-Ahhh!" I mean, Jesus, you sure the dinosaurs are extinct, Alice? Cause you got one living in your throat!"
Thanks, you've been great. Really. Enjoy your night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rockinghorsedreams wrote:
I like the idea of open thought process too, time delay or not. We could send moves along with the video, but the video could be compiled after the turn(s) are completed. Without, of course, adding too much work for you.

You raise a good point. Pacing is an issue we'll need to address. You'll understand more once you've played, but turns (minus the negotiation) are relatively quick in this game. The degree of detail which we should film, in what sorts of increments we describe the action, is something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gregor wrote:
Nigel66 wrote:

Funny-man stand-up comedian come-back....
Oh.. Oh a wise guy, eh? Well, um, let me tell you it's true. I know a thing or two about Real People. You've heard of gaydar? Well I've got what you call raydar. That's right, I can sense when someone's a real person or not. Yeah. And I'm getting nothing from you. I mean, first of all, a Brit named Nigel? Riiiiiggghhht. Real original. And let's see, what's that number- 66? What's a matter, couldn't your manufacturer come up with two DIFFERENT numbers? I can just imagine what it was like in the lab, "Well, if he's going to be on the Internet, he's going to need a number by his name, how about 6? My daughter's 6. Hmmm.. Usually they have more than one number. How about another 6? Yeah, I've got twins. Oh right, a name? What, he's supposed to be British? Alan? No, not specific enough? Charles? Too Mansony with the double 6 and all... I got it! Nigel!"
Seriously, it's great to have you out. Just maybe get a tune-up first next time, eh? Seriously, your wires are showing.
Alright, ha ha, really now, we have fun. We kid. We jest. Kind of like the holidays, you know? Family. Poking fun at each other, all in jest of course, my ma, "I wish you got a head-wound so I could put a tourniquette around your neck!" Funny stuff, my family. Comics, the lot of them.
So it was Thanksgiving last week. You guys celebrate Thanksgiving? Great holiday. Lots of laffs. Heard on the radio that a turkey leg is indistinguishable from a raptor leg. You know those guys in Jurassic Park? Hey, if you can scare Jeff Goldblum, you got me freaked. Anyway, turns out they're related. Yeah, turkeys are dinos, baby. Seriously though, it's funny, if you think about it. We put burn a bunch of dinosaurs to get across country or wherever to sit around a table and sup on one with a bunch of old dinosaurs who we don't even like, and try not to talk politics, because, what, that'd be uncouth? Here we are gnawing on dino bones trying to be civil? All the while, great aunt Alice is all, "Gwwweee-Aaahh, Gwee-Ahhh!" I mean, Jesus, you sure the dinosaurs are extinct, Alice? Cause you got one living in your throat!"
Thanks, you've been great. Really. Enjoy your night.
That's a tight 5 minutes you have there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Months? That a joke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nope. The estimation is legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
four factions converge
rough simulated conflict
one giant green box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Colombians boxed
For FARC or for Government
That is all they are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, as far as level of exposition goes, am I right in interpreting that folks are fine with concurrent production- putting the videos together and into the public sphere as we play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.