Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player is nominated and being voted on, do they vote for themselves?

So far, I've played that a player auto-votes for themselves to live. I don't think this is clarified in the Ultimate Werewolf rules, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, I've been wrong many times in the past. But I would say that they can vote themselves dead. The Tanner would want to die. Also, it seems like the Idiot would be forced to vote herself/himself down as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play nominees don't vote.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
I'm not sure, I've been wrong many times in the past. But I would say that they can vote themselves dead. The Tanner would want to die. Also, it seems like the Idiot would be forced to vote herself/himself down as well.

This makes perfect sense to me. Anyone else have a more "official" ruling? It it actually in the rules and I'm just missing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
All players vote however they wish. Surely that rule is in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
Not a more official ruling (I can't remember the rules saying either way), but I would say it is up to the group. Ask what your players want to do. Also, the rules do suggest multiple ways to conduct voting, so I believe it leaves a lot of this sort of stuff up to the players.

We play that the nominee votes, and can vote whatever they want. Idiot has to vote yes and I've seen it a few times. I've seen Tanner vote either way, to make sure they die, or not to encourage people to vote no, and I've seen people bluff idiot.

Our group finds that it makes things more interesting, especially if Idiot is in play. It might be interesting to try it the other way though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The acused does not vote. They only can try and persuade the mob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I don't know what the rules say, but when I played with the designer of Ultimate Werewolf, EVERYONE voted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I don't know what the rules say, but when I played with the designer of Ultimate Werewolf, EVERYONE voted.

Thanks Clyde. This seems like the answer I was looking for. The rules actually don't state it outright, which is what prompted my question originally. That is, unless I missed it somewhere in the rules, but I've looked a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waitreally wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Thanks Clyde. This seems like the answer I was looking for. The rules actually don't state it outright, which is what prompted my question originally. That is, unless I missed it somewhere in the rules, but I've looked a few times.

Keep in mind it is your game. When we play we let the moderator decide on the voting method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Keep in mind it is your game. When we play we let the moderator decide on the voting method.

I do get that. I just like to know the official rules so I know exactly how I can bend/break them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am unable to see why an accused should vote. They would of course vote yes, unless they are "the idiot" And I can not see an idiot voting for themself to die. The idiot is not a moron, they are just someone who is more distrusting and likes seeing others hanged. But if they themselves are on the block, I can't see them going, "kill me kill me bwa ha ha haaaa!" If that were the case then they should reveal their card it game start and just blab nonsensical chaos all match.

Also everyone who is accused could always vote for themself to die to try and trick the town into thinking they are the idiot or Tanner, and it will lead to nothing but constant second guessing. And that doubt creation is reserved for the defense speech, not the voting.

Since it is implied the accused will or should vote to live I still feel their vote is irrelivant. Give them their 60 seconds to defend themselves and sway the crowd and let the voting begin.

True you can play any way you want, I just do not see any actual positive gaming experience being gained by letting the accused vote.
It just seems redundant to me. They will or SHOULD always vote to live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
So wait.

Village idiot MUST vote to lynch.

Anyone voting to lynch themselves must be the idiot (or acting like the idiot in order to not get lynched).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get to a final three, and the "parity" hunter is still alive the good villager play is to self vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Also everyone who is accused could always vote for themself to die to try and trick the town into thinking they are the idiot or Tanner, and it will lead to nothing but constant second guessing. And that doubt creation is reserved for the defense speech, not the voting.

I think that any second-guessing or doubt that can be introduced into the game is good, not just as the defense speech stage. Isn't the game about trying to wade through the lies and deception?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
So wait.

Village idiot MUST vote to lynch.

Anyone voting to lynch themselves must be the idiot (or acting like the idiot in order to not get lynched).

Yes the idiot always votes to die. They don't have to nominate people. But when the thumbs up to live thumbs down to die vote is cast. They always vote to die. Just like the pacifist always votes to live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waitreally wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

I think that any second-guessing or doubt that can be introduced into the game is good, not just as the defense speech stage. Isn't the game about trying to wade through the lies and deception?

It is, but during the voting it is redundant.

IF you want to die, say so in the defense. Say, "kill me kill me I want to die!". Why wait till the voting? What is the point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the idiot work in alternate non-nominating types of voting? Like the pointing style?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 221057. waitreally
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:51 pm
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
waitreally wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

It is, but during the voting it is redundant.

IF you want to die, say so in the defense. Say, "kill me kill me I want to die!". Why wait till the voting? What is the point?

Doesn't allowing the accused to vote also give them another vote to live? I think that's a pretty good reason. It can make or break a close vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waitreally wrote:
How does the idiot work in alternate non-nominating types of voting? Like the pointing style?

Some roles don't work with some voting styles. Leave those roles out.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Also it's illegal to reveal your card. You can claim Idiot regardless of your role (and why not? keeps you alive and gives you a good reason to vote to lynch if you're a wolf).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.