Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about the dumb question, but can I fire on empty hexes (have them as targets)? For instance, to fire smoke with a tank at a specific open ground hex? I'm assuming so...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! The rules from the FF:GD Playbook imply the answer is 'no' (43.5 "Prerequisite — For a unit to useits Smoke special action, the owning player must discard one asset from his hand during step 2 of a direct fire attack (never melee) by that unit and announce “smoke” instead of AP or HE. The unit must be fresh. Smoke may only be used once per attack.")

But I've read of Smoke being used in this manner (Smoke rounds being fired into a general location to temporarily block line of sight or otherwise obscure visibility to attempt to reduce enemy direct & indirect fire effectiveness and thus friendly casualties during an advance or halt by your units.

This would also beg the question: is it also possible for you to fire Smoke rounds into hexes that contain friendly units, to provide the with better cover in anticipation of enemy return fire?

--

I know there is a difference between Vehicles (tanks) that have the 'S' letter on them and thus have the ability to fire Smoke rounds into hexes that contain enemy units (which is done by playing an Asset Card from your hand as a Smoke direct fire 'attack' in lieu of the text / order on the card), and the specific Asset Cards for 'Smoke Screen' (Playbook Rules 44.17) and 'Smoke Grenades' (44.16). The latter 2 do allow placement of 'Smoke' in hexes that do not have enemy units in them, but their placement and tactical use (and the actual devices) are different from Smoke rounds that are fired out of a tank's main armament in a direct fire manner.

Lastly, there are the Asset Cards for 'Heavy Battery' (44.7), 'Light Battery' (44.9), 'Medium Battery' (44.11), and 'Mortar Battery' (44.12), all of which _may_ make fire Smoke in a targeted hex (which may or may not contain enemy - or friendly - units, or even be unoccupied), as long as the side executing the Asset order has a leader with a line of sight (LOS) to the targeted hex.

Note that these 'Battery' Asset cards are all indirect fire attacks (where the artillery units do not need LOS to the targeted hex - indeed, they are located off-map), and not the direct fire attacks made with the tank's main armament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
Good question! The rules from the FF:GD Playbook imply the answer is 'no' (43.5 "Prerequisite — For a unit to useits Smoke special action, the owning player must discard one asset from his hand during step 2 of a direct fire attack (never melee) by that unit and announce “smoke” instead of AP or HE. The unit must be fresh. Smoke may only be used once per attack.")

I don't see how this rule imply a "no" answer. Step 1 of Direct Fire attacks is to choose a target hex within LOS of the firing unit; step 2 is to choose AP or HE. There is no mention of target units in the target hex at all up to step to; in fact, units are only mentioned in step 5a of the player aid (rule 34.15).

My opinion is that it should be possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if proven wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the larger question. I couldn't find any requirement that the hex being targeted contains an enemy unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can fire at any hex, occupied or no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

Thanks Chad, great support as always!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

Thank you, as well. Just to clarify: when you activate a Tank with an 'S' letter with the Fire (or Assault) order to fire with a Smoke round into a given hex, do you automatically place the Smoke counter in this hex, or do you have to still have to roll the dice (d4-d20, whatever the firing unit's situation dictates) to see whether the fire attack fails based on the Hindrance number of the terrain of the target hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
David Ells wrote:
when you activate a Tank with an 'S' letter with the Fire (or Assault) order to fire with a Smoke round into a given hex, do you automatically place the Smoke counter in this hex, or do you have to still have to roll the dice (d4-d20, whatever the firing unit's situation dictates) to see whether the fire attack fails based on the Hindrance number of the terrain of the target hex?

43.5 has the answer.

If the shot misses due to hindrance, no effect.

And to be clear - hindrance determined by the terrain between the firing and target hex not the terrain of the target hex (23.1) (unless smoke).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, I forgot the specifics the Hindrance rules and the procedure. Thanks, that does answer my question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

Does this also include selecting an empty targeting hex for Bombardment purposes?

(Example: I have a Command Marker on the map, which has LOS to an empty Building hex. Behind this Building hex, there are enemy units in the adjacent hex, which are not in my LOS, due to the Building terrain blocking LOS from the Command Marker's hex into the hex with enemy units.)

May I thus target an empty hex during a Bombardment attack? Note that the Bombardment will attack the empty target hex and also the 6 adjacent hexes, which for this example includes the hex with enemy units in it?

--

Or is the answer no, that I must instead only target an empty hex with a Bombardment attack if this empty hex has enemy units in hexes that are adjacent (or 2 hexes away for the Soviet 'Rocket Barrage' asset card Bombardment attacks) that my Command Marker(s) can see with an unblocked LOS?

Hope this makes sense, thanks!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I follow your question David. I think that the targeting hex can be any hex, occupied, unoccupied, impassable, friendly, enemy. I see no restriction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
...the targeting hex can be any hex, occupied, unoccupied, impassable, friendly, enemy.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating - thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.