Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (second edition) – Conversion Kit» Forums » General

Subject: Useful to new players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steen steen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I was just given Descent Second Edition, and the conversion kit. Is there any reason to have the conversion kit if I don't have any first edition expansions? Is ffg putting out second edition versions of everything or is this going to be necessary in the future if I want to expand my game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's useful if you proxy figures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also find a file on the kit's page with icons to print and cut out that represent all the heroes and monsters (sized correctly), so you can play without the plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a reason to have the Conversion Kit without having the first edition stuff. The important part of the characters and monsters is on their cards, and the aesthetically pleasing part is the plastic figure. You can play the game with proxy figures.

However, I would almost recommend that your first few games be limited to stuff that is only in the base game, just to get the hang of things so you really understand the power of the Conversion Kit characters and monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had my eye on Descent 2ed for awhile now and finally purchased it just the other day. I am pretty heavily invested in D&D minis already - is it safe to say that I could use most cards in the conversion kit? Just by proxying in an appropriate-looking D&D mini?

If so I'll certainly wait until I get a few games of D2 under my belt just so I know what's what before getting the conversion kit. But it seems like, if you have lots of minis already, having the conversion kit available could really add a ton of extra stuff to the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.