Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: When did this forum become a press release forum? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Why does it appear to be that many new theoretical or manufactured abstracts are announced in this forum? 

Has this always been the case?

Why not use the game design or press release forums instead?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly because these types of abstracts(perfect information)get lost there. They really don't get much love from the rest of the community.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
reyalicea wrote:
Possibly because these types of abstracts(perfect information)get lost there. They really don't get much love from the rest of the community.
Lots of games get lost in those forums ... but such is the nature of the beast...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
reyalicea wrote:
Possibly because these types of abstracts(perfect information)get lost there. They really don't get much love from the rest of the community.
Lots of games get lost in those forums ... but such is the nature of the beast...


Then sir you have answered your own question.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
reyalicea wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:
reyalicea wrote:
Possibly because these types of abstracts(perfect information)get lost there. They really don't get much love from the rest of the community.
Lots of games get lost in those forums ... but such is the nature of the beast...


Then sir you have answered your own question.
No I haven't. Just because they get lost there doesn't automatically mean this forum becomes a press release forum.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
Many new theoretical or manufactured abstracts are announced in this forum... but such is the nature of the beast...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
reyalicea wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:
Many new theoretical or manufactured abstracts are announced in this forum... but such is the nature of the beast...
eh? i didn't say those thing together..
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
reyalicea wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:
Many new theoretical or manufactured abstracts are announced in this forum... but such is the nature of the beast...
eh? i didn't say those thing together..


No you did not... but such is the nature of the BEAST...devil

Sorry about that I really wanted to use that devil emoticon...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Marini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I never submitted a new game as I'm not a designer ,but I like to have notice of new ideas of abstracts in this part of BGG.

Abstracts are not so commercially appealing so inmo I don't see any risk of opportunism, and if there is one I will be happy if someone make some money with an abstract.

Probably it will be good to have some more discussions on strategy or variants, but this is up us players..
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Because (non-classic) abstract games have more designers than players! Not that there's anything wrong with that.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
Because (non-classic) abstract games have more designers than players! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I disagree. While this is only one datum, I have hosted an annual tournament of abstract strategy / combinatorial games since 2000. At that event, the number of competitors who have never authored a game of any type has always exceeded the number of competitors who have done so, usually by a factor of at least three.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
Why does it appear to be that many new theoretical or manufactured abstracts are announced in this forum? 

Has this always been the case?

Why not use the game design or press release forums instead?


This forum has people who might remotely be interested in their games. Check how abstract games rate on BGG, and you see they rate lower than Euros on a whole. There are exceptions to this, however. But, on the whole, it is the rule. Like a 6 or 7 at an abstract on BGG is a good to very good rating. For a Euro, looking 8 or 9.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I note this issue is still ongoing... the forum's being clogged up with all the new game announcements.

They are quasi-press releases from designers. Shouldn't they be somewhere else?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I want other designers to post their designs here. This has become the most active and least spammy place where abstract game designers discuss their design efforts. Most of the designers who post do with sincere intent to discuss game design, not (only) to promote themselves. I wouldn't have learned so effortlessly (or even at all) about Weft, or Pit of Pillars, two games I'm very interested in, had not their designers posted here, for example. I've been a part of so many design forums that have died through neglect or trolls over the years, it would be a real heartbreaker if this one, one of the most stable I've seen, were to go silent too.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

I want other designers to post their designs here. This has become the most active and least spammy place where abstract game designers discuss their design efforts. Most of the designers who post do with sincere intent to discuss game design, not (only) to promote themselves. I wouldn't have learned so effortlessly (or even at all) about Weft, or Pit of Pillars, two games I'm very interested in, had not their designers posted here, for example. I've been a part of so many design forums that have died through neglect or trolls over the years, it would be a real heartbreaker if this one, one of the most stable I've seen, were to go silent too.
Least spammy? Have you seen all the threads where people announce their new games? It's promotion central.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
Have you seen all the threads where people announce their new games? It's promotion central.

Discussing abstract games in an abstract games forum doesn't seem too much of a crime to me.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Announcing" a game for the purposes of discussing it, especially as a piece of design work, seems like an appropriate topic for the forum. That's different than outright promotion. What would you prefer the forum look like?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:
Have you seen all the threads where people announce their new games? It's promotion central.

Discussing abstract games in an abstract games forum doesn't seem too much of a crime to me.
Designers publishing announcements here about their new creation is not simple game discussion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
Designers publishing announcements here about their new creation is not simple game discussion.


Of course it's partly promotion, but who cares? It's also fodder for discussion. The discussions happen, they help me to think about games, and all is well.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Davis
South Korea
flag msg tools
Avatar
A forum's purpose flows from its value to its readers, and its value flows from its content. If press release-type announcements prompt discussion about game design, or assist abstract devotees to keep up on developments within a niche division within a niche hobby, the announcements give value and purpose to this forum.

Are there any postings or topics that are crowded out by the game announcements? I do not ask rhetorically... I don't keep close enough watch of this forum to tell. I suspect not though. I too wish that there was more varied content in the forum, but I'll take the press releases over silence.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Akeem wrote:
A forum's purpose flows from its value to its readers, and its value flows from its content. If press release-type announcements prompt discussion about game design, or assist abstract devotees to keep up on developments within a niche division within a niche hobby, the announcements give value and purpose to this forum.

Are there any postings or topics that are crowded out by the game announcements? I do not ask rhetorically... I don't keep close enough watch of this forum to tell. I suspect not though. I too wish that there was more varied content in the forum, but I'll take the press releases over silence.
I'm a fan of abstract games. I play them and I buy them. When I come to this forum I'm totally put off by all the announcements and promotions for yet another mediocre game which is doomed to obscurity. It's like the junk mail in your letterbox you have to search through to find what you are looking for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
I'm a fan of abstract games. I play them and I buy them.

Me too

Quote:
When I come to this forum I'm totally put off by all the announcements and promotions for yet another mediocre game which is doomed to obscurity.

Two different issues here; mediocre? Some truly excellent games have made their first appearance in this forum. Not all of them will suit all people; but to a designer, our games are like our children - we love them, and nurture them, and help them be the best that they can.

On obscurity, many new games use traditional components, and are therefore almost unpublishable; people like to pay for things, not for ideas Since we'll never see them in a store, how else are we going to learn about them? If someone posted their new abstract in press releases, I can assure you I'd never see it. Posting in the abstract games forum is often the best way to avoid total obscurity

Quote:
It's like the junk mail in your letterbox you have to search through to find what you are looking for.

There is generally less than one post in the abstract games forum per day. You don't have to look often to keep up. Compare this with the number of posts in the wargames forums; I might believe that they have a problem

If you are looking for a specific thread that you saw earlier, remember that BGG allows you to bookmark and/or subscribe to threads. Either of these will let you find something you're looking for quickly. Google also allows you to search a specific site. Just add site:boardgamegeek.com to your search.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it sometimes gets a bit much.

It might be good to have a "New game announcements" subforum to separate the large mass of new game announcements from the actual "general discussion" about abstract games generally. Forum searching often does not work well to find old topics.

===

Logically and practically, I'd rather see discussion about a specific game take place in that game's forum (if it has one). (Future readers searching info about the game are going to look in the game's forum, not go wading through dozens of pages of subjects in the Abstract Games forum.)

(For some of the truly "new" games which are sometimes more half-baked prototype ideas, they won't have their own forum and BGG entry, so sure, discuss them in the announcement thread.)

===

I do agree the Wargame forum has a much bigger problem of "too many threads".
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like it if more of us posted the rationale/motivations for designing the new games we announce. It's much easier to "get inside" a new design when I have a sense of what lead the designer to it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
I would like it if more of us posted the rationale/motivations for designing the new games we announce. It's much easier to "get inside" a new design when I have a sense of what lead the designer to it.

Like "How I invented games and why not"?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.