Popular Tags: [View All]
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/27/robertson-tells-christ...

Pat Robertson wrote:
Look, I know that people will probably try to lynch me when I say this, but Bishop Ussher wasn’t inspired by the Lord when he said that it all took 6,000 years. It just didn’t. You go back in time, you’ve got radiocarbon dating. You got all these things and you’ve got the carcasses of dinosaurs frozen in time out in the Dakotas.

They’re out there. So, there was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth and it was before the time of the Bible. So, don’t try and cover it up and make like everything was 6,000 years. That’s not the Bible.

If you fight science, you’re going to lose your children, and I believe in telling it the way it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a T-shirt that says "If you fight science, you're going to lose your children."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

...and a hat that says "we already discussed this whole matter this morning on Reddit!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy London
Australia
Dianella, Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Free cider juice remedied dim river duck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see from the article that Pat Robertson is a televangelist. Does he have much clout?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezzomaniac wrote:
I see from the article that Pat Robertson is a televangelist. Does he have much clout?

He is certainly amongst the most well known of American televangelists. I would say he has considerable clout within that not-inconsiderable segment of American society which identifies as evangelical Christian. Of late, as in this case, he's been softening his positions on what had been some fairly rigid beliefs amongst evangelicals, which I find both surprising and encouraging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wright
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
More joy over one Young-Earth Creationist that repenteth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? No one is going to say, "And he knows this because the Earth has to be at least as old as he is"?

You're going soft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered what Answers in Genesis had to say about this and learned, to my surprise, that this isn't a new position for Robertson. I found an article talking about Robertson's dismaying comments, but it was from 2003.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems in the spirit of the post-election change in conservative thought to drop intellectually dishonest positions and claims. Holding the line on absurdity is costing them power, voters and, and in this case, congregation.

On the other hand, it's important for people who aren't young earth creationists not to rub their noses in it. Yeah, yeah they used to think the world was 6000 years old and some people used to think the world was flat and some people thought demons were the source of mental illness. No good can come from constantly reminding someone they used to be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I wondered what Answers in Genesis had to say about this and learned, to my surprise, that this isn't a new position for Robertson. I found an article talking about Robertson's dismaying comments, but it was from 2003.

Well, damn, there goes my theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

The article linked in the OP mentioned he was a Young Earther in 2007, so I'm not sure what to make of that either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

The article linked in the OP mentioned he was a Young Earther in 2007, so I'm not sure what to make of that either.

I don't think it quite says that. I read it as saying that in 2007 his network promoted the Creation Science Museum and seemed to endorse its views. That could have been an oversight or it could be that this isn't something he's been particularly strict about. I could have sworn that I saw a clip of him with a guest on who was offering "proof" that the Earth wasn't billions of years old and Robertson was agreeing but that would have been a long time ago and it's just a memory -- could have been a different televangelist.

I think a lot of "big" Christian leaders tend to be fuzzy when it comes to creationism, whether because it isn't something they personally consider important (and that they may not know too much about) or because they don't want to alienate people by taking a stand on something they don't think is doctrinally critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Mezzomaniac wrote:

He is certainly amongst the most well known of American televangelists. I would say he has considerable clout within that not-inconsiderable segment of American society which identifies as evangelical Christian. Of late, as in this case, he's been softening his positions on what had been some fairly rigid beliefs amongst evangelicals, which I find both surprising and encouraging.

Indeed, credit where credit is due even though I find Robertson abhorrent. I bought one of his books at a secondhand store a few years ago just to get a sense of the man, and I came away with a pretty lousy impression. Especially as it pertained to gender roles, marriage, and sexuality issues. That said, one more extremely prominent and influential Christian leader pushing away from the YEC table is a good thing for all of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does he say about the insult to God from people who don't use enough fossil fuels?

Bryan Fischer: ‘Enormously insensitive’ to hurt God’s feelings by not using oil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
What does he say about the insult to God from people who don't use enough fossil fuels?

I guess we should cut down a whole bunch of trees and make God a really big apology card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Just think how much farther along human development (and Christianity/Judaism for that matter) would be if God would have slipped the technology for frakking to Noah along with the plans for the Ark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
About 40 days?

Frakking, not f*cking. I think Adam and Eve got that technology from the Serpent way earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/27/robertson-tells-christ...

Pat Robertson wrote:
Look, I know that people will probably try to lynch me when I say this, but Bishop Ussher wasn’t inspired by the Lord when he said that it all took 6,000 years. It just didn’t. You go back in time, you’ve got radiocarbon dating. You got all these things and you’ve got the carcasses of dinosaurs frozen in time out in the Dakotas.

They’re out there. So, there was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth and it was before the time of the Bible. So, don’t try and cover it up and make like everything was 6,000 years. That’s not the Bible.

If you fight science, you’re going to lose your children, and I believe in telling it the way it was.

I am glad he is moving in the right direction, but I do not believe dinosaur "carcasses" have been found in North Dakota or elsewhere.

As a side note, I have read a conservative commentator (Paul Kengor) who argued it was not relevant to his qualifications to be president whether Marco Rubio believes the Earth is 6,000 years old or 4 billion years old. See http://spectator.org/archives/2012/11/26/smearing-rubio. Among the points he missed is that one cannot understand the arguments about global warming if one thinks the Earth is only 6,000 years old, and global warming is certainly an issue that will be relevant to the presidency in 2016.

Minor note - even Bishop Ussher would agree the Earth is more than 6,000 years old. If it was created in 4004 BCE (or BC), it is now 6015 years old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Frakking, not f*cking.

I think you mean "fracking", not "frakking". It's short for fracturing. In English, you have to add the 'k' when you abbreviate "fracturing", because the pronunciation rules make "fracing" rhyme with "tracing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
I am glad he is moving in the right direction, but I do not believe dinosaur "carcasses" have been found in North Dakota or elsewhere.

Seriously? Why don't you believe that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Frakking, not f*cking.

I think you mean "fracking", not "frakking". It's short for fracturing. In English, you have to add the 'k' when you abbreviate "fracturing", because the pronunciation rules make "fracing" rhyme with "tracing".

Yeah, you're right, I was getting confused in my head with the BSG term, which coincidentally enough is a TV safe bastardization of f*cking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

Seriously? Why don't you believe that?

Um, because 65 million years old remains of dinosaurs are mineralized replacements of the original creature, not carcasses. Carcasses of woolly mammoths or 5,000 year old humans yes, of 2 million year old homo erectus or 65 million year old dinosaurs, not to my knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
Um, because 65 million years old remains of dinosaurs are mineralized replacements of the original creature, not carcasses.

Fossils aren't "replacements". They can preserve all of the original structure, even down to the level of individual cells. Sure, there's chemical changes in anything that's 65 million years old. But it seems insanely nitpicky to complain that a fossilized dinosaur, including soft tissues, is not a "carcass".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.