BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 or 3 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lincoln Grant
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Loved Dominion but haven't bought an expansion yet. Just got Carcassonne and haven't played yet but we are already looking for our next game. We also bought a game called Tsoro the path or something like that. A rather lame tile snake game. Bought beginners guide to D&D but a bit too confusing.

13 year old boy his mom and me (dad) will be playing.
up to an hour and a half long.
Mage Wars and Summoners Wars look interesting.
Not a million rules to remember but we are willing to learn.
Like Dragons and magic. (Played a lot of WoW)
Story is important.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island. Cooperative, which most non-gamers find really intriguing, and which a boy can play solo when necessary. Cheap. Beautiful. Fun.

Other good co-op options would be Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Castle Panic (with its expansion, which really adds a ton to the game). I'm eagerly awaiting Legends of Andor.

Perhaps a more thematic deck management (deckbuilder) game? there are about a dozen, whether fantasy or zombies or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
3 player games?

I enjoy The Road to Canterbury and Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention: If you prefer to beat the snot out of each other instead of cooperating, these are popular choices for your target demographic:

King of Tokyo (most say it needs 3+)
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (many say it needs 3+)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Super Dungeon Explore has a very arcade game feel to it and has dragons and magic if you're into that theme (gameplay feels a bit like Gauntlet, killing creatures while health and power-ups are popping out). It's got a very stylised cartoonish look but I assume you're okay with that being WoW players. The only downside is that the minis require some assembly before you can get started, which might put you off, but otherwise it's really a fun game.

If you want something with a similar feel but with a more traditional RPG look, maybe one of the D&D board games (Legend of Drizzt, Castle Ravenloft or Wrath of Ashardalon) are a good bet. They're a lot easier to get into than D&D proper, they're fully co-op though if that's an issue (i.e. apart from one or two scenarios you're mostly all on the same side trying to defeat the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lincolng wrote:
Any suggestions?

Asking for recommendations go here. http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/8/boardgamegeek/recommendatio...

Mage Wars and Summoner Wars currently play better as two player games. Mage Wars looks to be better at 3 player eventually, maybe. Summoner Wars is by far the easier to pick up game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Recommendations

+1 Forbidden Island

Summoner Wars: I'm a big fan of this game - it's pretty excellent. I'm not sure that the 'story' is that strong but the fantasy theme certainly is.

It's a two player game unless you have 2 maps/4 armies

It comes with 3 core sets:

Summoner Wars: Master Set 6 armies - card map (I'd recommend this)
Summoner Wars: Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs 2 armies - paper map
Summoner Wars: Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins 2 armies - paper map

+1 any of the DnD standalone board games:

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

I'll also throw in Castle Panic perhaps with Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower (for difficulty). It's a cooperative game about defending a castle against fantasy enemies.

Note: The Rules for all these games will be viewable online - simple google the games name with Rules PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the D&D games. They sound like what you're looking for.
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Legends of Andor. It's a cooperative fantasy game with beautiful artwork and a strong emphasis on plot. It even features a dragon. Also plays equally well with 2-4 people. It does have a LOT of components, but the rules aren't complicated, so don't feel intimidated. Also, getting into the game is very easy as the game is designed to be played along while reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bet Lords of Waterdeep would be a huge hit at your house! It's fun, easy to learn, probably takes about an hour with 3p. It's also a gorgeous game, there's flavor text if you're into it and the pieces are fun to handle.

It's also fun 2p. We use a simple variant where you each choose between 2 Lords and also choose 2 out of 3 Quest cards. You get to place more meeples when there are only 2 so there is still some tension over where to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great game for 3 players (including a child) might be Tales of Arabian Nights. It's a bit like "choose your own adventure" books with a few twists (e.g. board and different winning conditions). And it also helps children with their reading The only thing is I played the game only once, so I don't know how the adventures are suited for kids (although I wouldn't expect excessive violence, sexual references etc.), but taking into account it's somewhat based on the Tales, it should be ok.

[edit]written that a book was an addition instead of a board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have overheard 2 or 3 games of Arabian nights. In each, at least one player has changed genders during the game, and I think at least once each, someone has faced the cultural expectation that they kill themselves after their spouse died.

I don't know if those are the least child-friendly events that can happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendations aren't in the Dungeons and Dragons kind of category, especially with regards to story but take a look at Seasons (awesomely produced game that features magic and crystals, unlike anything else I've played but has card combos very slightly similar to Dominion, except Seasons is better. It also has awesome big dice.)

Someone mentioned Lords of Waterdeep and I think you *might* like this. It's a fantastic game but not like the games you say you're interested in even though it is (very very loosely) Dungeons and Dragons themed. Some will disagree but I think Lords of Waterdeep is a euro through and through and more of a cube-pusher than some cube-pushers, but it's an awesome game and definitely worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.