Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: meeple [+] diy [+] table [+] gaming [+] [View All]
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after looking at all these pimped out tables that cost thousands of dollars and all, I decided to upgrade from my 3'x 5.5' dining table to an actual game table. I figured I would start a thread documenting my progress. I don't expect this to take much time to do, and maybe some of you in the community will be inspired, but I have to warn you up from: I actually have a decent set of carpentry skills. Attempting to do what I do is probably beyond the skill set of a novice carpenter.

Soooo....

Step 1 - I wanted to make this project easy and cost effective. I had an old table laying about that was one of those insert a leaf type of kitchen tables. It was heavy, old, and quite the eye sore in my kitchen. So, I decided to use it as a base to get started.

Before going full bore into this project, I decided to check out some ideas online by looking at a few pictures. It game me a good idea of some features that I may want to include. Last year we had an accident where someone spilled a drink all over the cards of an Ora et Labora game.... so drink holders are a definite. I want it to be a little stealthy, so hide-away shelves or tables are going to be incorporated. Lastly, I considered size. I have a very large dining room that, since I am not married nor have kids, have no other purpose to use than to play board games (yay!). So I settled on 4' x 7' table. This size was a little particular to me, having recently played Planet Steam. For those that haven't played, it takes up an immense amount of space on a typical sized dining table.

Off to Lowes and after spending 2 hours there, I scored 140.00 worth of materials. My base table top is 3/4" maple ply.

Here you can see I have already re-attached the leg system to the table top. I set this up using a Kreg tool to dowel/recess in the screws and hold it so that you won't be able to see it unless you are laying under the table.

No making fun of my antiquated kitchen floor either. I haven't gotten around to updating the kitchen yet. As you can see from this picture, my dishes are also ready to be unloaded. Priorities!!

After the leg system was attached to this new table top, I flipped it up to check the center, and as anticipated, it bowed a little and was not sturdy. I flipped it back over and added two support beams down the center. I positioned them in this picture here with some sliders and a mock shelf drawer to test depth for if, and when, I add in the pull out.

And here they are installed. I used the Kreg tool again to make a clean install. It's important to note that you need to use the right length screw so that it doesn't protrude out the surface of your table.

It took me about 3 hours to get to this point. In the background of the first picture, you can see the original table.

I have actually layed out some inlay areas on the table, the corner cuts I am going to make to round them, the bit I am going to use to route the edges, and all that. I haven't take a picture of that stuff yet. I will get that up in my next post sometime this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Kreg tool you mention the pocket screw one? I've looked at those at Lowes before. It seemed a bit pricey and I wasn't sure how it would work for heavier duty items since the illustrations show stuff like picture frames.

Looking at what you're building with it, I may have to take a second look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it is. It's worth it to buy if you want to have professional looking screw joints. If you build frames of any kind, cabinets, etc, it's a necessity. You can make one out of aluminum if you are crafty with metal, but otherwise, buying is just as good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea of not starting from scratch to save time. Gives me an idea of finding a cheap table at a rummage sale and using it as the base.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my base table was a yard sale item i picked up for 10 dollars. It was solid looking, though it was a little wobbly because the legs just needed to be tightened. It had a few scratches and stains on the top, but heck... don't need the top! I will most likely finish up the legs all new as well in upcoming pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Is the Kreg tool you mention the pocket screw one? I've looked at those at Lowes before. It seemed a bit pricey and I wasn't sure how it would work for heavier duty items since the illustrations show stuff like picture frames.

Looking at what you're building with it, I may have to take a second look.

So because I was at the store, I figured I would drop a picture or two on Kreg Tool Options.

and a mini kit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so some minor work done so far today. I went shopping for cup holder ideas. I had a few that I was trying out here:

Not sure I like any of these, but... they are a start to getting some ideas out there for me to work with.

Additionally, I have the table upright

And here I have layed out how I am going to address the corners. Just a simple curve around. If you look, you will see another rectangle with X X X in it. I am going to relief cut that portion at each of 6 places on the table, then route out the edges so they are concave curved. This will be a place to put bits for games you are currently playing, or money, or whatever. Since it will be relief cut, you can easily hide money or pieces here that are meant to be secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a bit of progress today. I worked out the kinks with all the recessed bit bins I want on the table. I have the work on them set in stages so that you can see from start to finish, how two of them progressed.

Stage 1:

Just a layout of what I was looking to cut out. X marks where a two inch hole will be drilled and the lines indicate where I need to cut. Center of the bin is 2" wide before edging.

Stage 2:

2" holes have been cut.

Stage 3:

Cut out trough for the bits bin.

Stage 4:

Routed the edges so that they are concave towards the basin. I did this to make it easy to remove pieces and be easy on the eye in terms of line work. I didn't want a hard drop into the table. I prefer a gradual grade downward. Plus, hard edges seem to irritate after leaning on them a while.

Stage 5:

Added the bottom to the bits bin and sanded like crazy to clean up some of the rough edge and smooth the corner edge so that it rolls nicely in towards the cove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stage 6:

Detail close up of the work completed. Two are done, 4 more to finish.

All done for tonight. Had to brake to play Mage Knight, so I wasn't able to accomplish getting all the bits bins installed. Should have that done tomorrow I hope. Here is where I stand after two days:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Westfall
United States
East Wakefield
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Brits out there that might be perusing this thread...

I'm trying to find a supplier in Britain (or anywhere) that has the rubber-ish pint glass inserts that I've seen all over Britain. I've mainly seen them in foosball table ends, but also around periferal woodwork at many pubs in the greater London area in the past.

They would be top notch wonderful for this project.
If you know of any, please post.
I just searched for 45 mins w/o any luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much accomplished today. I had a lot of other things to accomplish outside of this project.

However,

I was able to get this puppy roughed and set. The drawer part needs some finishing on the trim, but overall, it's 3/4 in and working. Need to get longer rails and make 2 small adjustments to get it gliding perfect.

On the sides of the holder, you can fit an ipad or other such tablet notebook - for rule review of course! Either that, or it's a nice spot to put a bowl of pretzels or other such snacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also snapped this picture to give you an idea of what it looks like with chairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Cortez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mariolls wrote:
Looking good. thumbsup

Thanks! I have some more photos of other steps prior to having that pull out installed.

In this picture, I am just showing you what I started with in terms of the cup holder. Picked this up at Wal-mart - 5 dollars. Had to buy three because one I had to cut up for a template to cut a hole for the finished cup holder.

I didn't realize this for some reason, but the one edge is straight on this while the other is curved. So I had to cleanly round up the other side to match. I used an oscillating belt sander to do this in case you were wondering. Anywho, here is the cup holder and the template hole in the drawer all ready to be assembled.

And inserted

I got to thinking about the finish for this shelf. Originally, I was set on staining and poly coating. I changed that up a bit because knowing I was going to be placing an iPad on here in the future, I wanted some kind of protection. So instead of staining, I went with installing some nice fabric. I used a layer of fleece covered with an appropriate fabric that I just liked when I went to the store. I think I spent 15.00 total for 1.5 yards of each. I picked up plenty extra just in case I screwed it up, but first time through, this is where I stood after that was stapled on using an air gun and 1/2" length staples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is where I am today. I put the finished piece on the front of the drawer and have started finishing off the front side of the table with the first of two pieces of trim. I only have the second one secured as I am considering another pull out drawer that resembles one of those hide-a-way cutting boards in small kitchens. I am thinking of doing this for a couple of reasons:

1) The table is designed to seat 8, 6, 4, and 2 in combinations. My regular group is 4, so more options are set for that configuration. Two people sit on opposite sides of the drawers as it stands now. However, since I do play a bit of 2 player games like Mage Wars, Memoir, etc... I would like to have the players side in the middle of the table in opposition. Therefore, I was thinking that pull outs on their right and left could hold drinks, iPad again, or other such stuff. This would open up another augmented customization play set.

2) Due to the vast size of the table (4' x 7'), having players sit catty-corner of each other wouldn't do well for table reach. Ergo, why in part 1 above, I am looking for further augments to have options for 2 player setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Cortez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it is obvious you have skill in carpentry. It's pretty awesome that you are able to make your own custom table. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. I myself have never tried any carpentry or woodwork, but look forward to giving it try when the opportunity arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondays are my long days. I usually host games weekly through meetup.com. However, i was able to get a little bit done

I did the layout for my center inlay design. I think I really must be a gamer through and through to even want to do this

It scaled up nicely! The original meeple (from Carcassone expansion) is 3/4" x 3/4" so I was able to upscale that for every 1/16" of the model to 1" on the layout.

I am pretty tired, so off to bed. Tomorrow I am going to finish up the other player bit bins and start on the other pull out cup holder/drawer. I may get that mostly done by tomorrow night - who knows!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I really wanted to get more accomplished than I did tonight, but things kept getting in the way, including a router that was not functioning as planned. Needless to say, I got the bits bins routed, but then had to repair a few mishaps that occurred along the way. You won't notice when it's done, but the fact that they happened set me back about a day.

Regardless... Mr. Meeple has been relief cut! That was well worth it in the end.

And this is where I admit I gave myself more work than necessary.

Instead of cutting out this relief now, I should have created the template piece on the wood that I wanted to inlay. This way, I could trace out exactly where to cut on the table. Now, however, I have to be absolutely precise in my cut on the inlay to fit perfectly into the table. Doh!!

Soooo... this is going to add at least another 2 days to this project having done it backwards!! I should have gotten more sleep the last two nights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEFF CHATTIN
United States
Washington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VERY NICE! Some great ideas!

Thanks!

Jeff
Great gaming gang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're bored after this project you could always make me one...

Awesome vision for this table, and excellent workmanship! I see you've also moved to another room with a nice wood floor!

Can't wait to see your finished table!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Gierlinger

Quincy
Illinois
msg tools
Not sure how deep you made your relief, but if you make it a little larger then the relief but taper it in towards the bottom so it fits . Then tap push it in tight and sand it flush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Miseirvitch
United States
Durham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ELDAR1986 wrote:
VERY NICE! Some great ideas!

Thanks!

Jeff
Great gaming gang!

Thank you

GamerVP wrote:
If you're bored after this project you could always make me one...

Awesome vision for this table, and excellent workmanship! I see you've also moved to another room with a nice wood floor!

Can't wait to see your finished table!!

I will totally get right on that request

keep an eye out - it's coming along nicely. I hope for another 2 weeks tops before I am done. I may take two days from work to put extra time into it.

sgierlinger wrote:
Not sure how deep you made your relief, but if you make it a little larger then the relief but taper it in towards the bottom so it fits . Then tap push it in tight and sand it flush.

1/4" relief. That's a good idea and will save me a boat load of time! I was thinking of something along these lines as it would be easier to fit and adjust if necessary. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Depending on the exact pattern of the relief, you could just start over by making an inlay that was fractionally larger, and recut the relief to match using it as an exact pattern, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty impressive table. Can't wait to see it when it's done, I imagine you could give GameChic a run for their money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This is amazing! I looked for the date on your first post to see how many weeks you had been working on this. Less than one! wow

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.