20 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Investigator and Monster Stands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crusher Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These look kinder than the stands supplied by FFG. Are they an office supply item, or something re-purposed?

I'd also listen to any other advice until I can invest in the miniatures.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/233845/arkham-horror-dunw...

Thanks for your time. This forum has been a lot of help as I lurk and learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so you know when you look at the stand supplied by Fantasy Flight, there is three bumps on the inside (two one one side, and one on the other)? If you take a sharp knife, like a box cutter or x-acto, and shave off the bump on the side with only one ALMOST all the way, you can use the stands and they won't chew up your cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
CrusherJoe wrote:
These look kinder than the stands supplied by FFG. Are they an office supply item, or something re-purposed?

I'd also listen to any other advice until I can invest in the miniatures.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/233845/arkham-horror-dunw...

Thanks for your time. This forum has been a lot of help as I lurk and learn.

A long time ago, we found a place in the UK that sold these in bulk. I thought someone finally imported them so you could buy smaller sets of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
I bought these stands for the monsters. They fit perfectly and don't damage them. It's also super convenient to keep the exact number of stands as monsters you're allowed to have in Arkham, so when you run out of stands, you know they need to go in the Outskirts.

As for the investigators, I keep them in their original stands and don't take them in and out, so that way they won't get damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

A long time ago, we found a place in the UK that sold these in bulk.

Do you remember who the UK supplier was? I'd be interested in seeing if they would take sleeved monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David, thank you! I am not craft-y, but I tried filing down ALL the points and watched the thing just fall off of the piece. I will try your suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
nickbolton wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

A long time ago, we found a place in the UK that sold these in bulk.

Do you remember who the UK supplier was? I'd be interested in seeing if they would take sleeved monsters.

I want to say it was Plastics Limited. the bases are a hard rubber / soft plastic so they open up. they were almost exactly like what used to be in these game before FFG "upgraded" to the hard pieces of plastic with the jaws of death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Noel, bookmarked for ordering in a few days! Thank you, these will be a great help too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just remembered I looked up this info not too long ago:

http://www.plasticsforgames.co.uk/us/us_prod_cardstands.asp

This is actually the US supplier for the UK company. What you are looking for is the 19 mm x 17 mm card stands. "Translucent" is the off white like the original stands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
llopis wrote:
I bought these stands for the monsters. They fit perfectly and don't damage them. It's also super convenient to keep the exact number of stands as monsters you're allowed to have in Arkham, so when you run out of stands, you know they need to go in the Outskirts.

As for the investigators, I keep them in their original stands and don't take them in and out, so that way they won't get damaged.

These are the ones I use as well.

It seems Boards and Bits also sells them as well in different colors, but I like the clear ones myself:
http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=22...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These used to be the stands that came with the game. Round about Kingsport they started using the contemporary stands.

These are the ones I still have (no idea where I put the others).

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone was curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Silberman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
We made some pretty effective monster stands using a leftover roll of acetate/mylar we got from Blick years ago:

The acetate holds its form once you crease it, so the bottom is just open, making it easy to slide the monsters in and out. No wear to the piece, and you pinch them to pick up and move around so that they don't fall out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

This is actually the US supplier for the UK company. What you are looking for is the 19 mm x 17 mm card stands. "Translucent" is the off white like the original stands.

any ideas where to get these stands in small quantities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
abe18 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

any ideas where to get these stands in small quantities?

No. My friend tracked these down recently and they sent him back to the UK. We may do a group order in a couple weeks as some of us were looking to get more again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
No. My friend tracked these down recently and they sent him back to the UK. We may do a group order in a couple weeks as some of us were looking to get more again.

ok, please keep me in mind if you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
trendycool wrote:
Okay, so you know when you look at the stand supplied by Fantasy Flight, there is three bumps on the inside (two one one side, and one on the other)? If you take a sharp knife, like a box cutter or x-acto, and shave off the bump on the side with only one ALMOST all the way, you can use the stands and they won't chew up your cardboard.

I would really second this idea. This is way better than any replacement stand I have tried so far. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone tried something like this ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Clear-1-1-2-Display-Stands-For-Ch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Akashi_12 wrote:

Those look good for Gates and things that would be static. Trying to move pieces around, like investigators and monsters, look like it would be a pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes I see you point. I am not sure about the size though, it seems a little big. This is really starting to frustrate me, I need monster stands that work and not chew up the cardboard. I started making my own, but it is tedious and I am not sure they are durable.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
It seems Boards and Bits also sells them as well in different colors, but I like the clear ones myself:
http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=22...

it appears that the ones boardsandbits is selling is made for cards, and would not fit the monster & investigator pieces. can anyone confirm or refute this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.