Pandora's Box» Forums » Variants

Subject: new idea: red stone(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
surely Ben must have thought of the idea of a third type of stone. I would use red but obviously anything would do.

What would the red stone do you ask? Well, maybe you can swap it for what's in the box?

Any thoughts from Ben?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sundaysilence wrote:
Any thoughts from Ben?

During playtesting I had one set that included gray stones, and players got three of each color (including gray) to start. Gray stones were worth zero in the end (instead of positive one or negative one) and used for bluffing, but they didn't add enough to the game to be kept for the final version. They had to be sorted out, and thus slowed down set-up, scoring, and the game itself, made it harder to play with a single Go set (less likely people had the components to just play), and so I tossed out the idea in the end. It also broke from the theme of the myth (just good and evil spirits).

The idea for red stones is fun, and I encourage you to give it a try and post your thoughts, both about the normal rules and variants. My guess is, if you can swap red stones out for a random stone from the box, you'll lengthen the game and introduce a random element that changes its essential element in a way that I'm not convinced will be an improvement, but I'd enjoy hearing about your experiences with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yeah there might be a certain randomness to using them which would probably detract.

However I was not thinking of swapping one red for one stone in the box but rather you would play the red stone in front of you and you would take the entire contents of the box. If there is only one or two red stones in the whole game, then it should not prolong the game unnecessarily.

So I was thinking players would get either 3 black/3 white or 2 black/3 white/1 red. SO everyone would be dealt like 2black/3 white and then they draw their final stone from a bag containing all black plus one red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.