Quarriors!» Forums » General

Subject: Changes in the Revised Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I managed to pick up the new box set of Quarriors, and yes, it has changed since the original tin release! So here's the changes I noticed looking through it.

First off, the positive changes. The dice are MUCH easier to read! Here's a comparison of the old Portal and the new Portal:

And the same goes for all the monsters. The numbers are now bigger and more in line with all the previous expansions. Here's the Slime for comparison:

And the Glory Tracker has changed slightly. I almost didn't notice it. Instead of winding back and forth, it's now a straight forward four rows that you read left to right. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on the group. But man, all these changes totally make up for the bad stuff! Because yeah, there's sadly some bad stuff. These things are rather minor, but irk me, so perhaps they might irk you too.

For one, the box is specifically designed to have all the starting dice in a walled off section, loose. All of the dice in the box don't fit in the rows (without going above the plastic overlay). Like I said, these are mostly minor.

The Questing Wizard dice seem to be too large. Like, half or a fourth of a millimeter bigger than all the other dice. Mine have to be forced into the tray, and when compared to the rest of the dice are very subtly bigger. Here's five of them in a row compared to five of something else:

Lining them up as best as I can, you can see that the Wizards' row sticks out a bit. They fit much better into the Quarmageddon and Qladiators boxes, so I guess it's not that much of a problem.

And with all releases, there's always the chance of a bad paint job. They're generally good, but... well... mistakes happen. Sadly I can't seem to get a picture that best captures it, but that'll vary from box to box.

I haven't done a comparison of the cards, but they appear to be the same at a glance.

Bottom line, are the changes more positive than negative. Yes. YES! Did you see the new Portal? I can read it from a distance now! Should you go out and buy it immediately? Well... that's something you'll have to decide for yourself. The changes aren't super drastic, but for people like me they're well worth it. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

yes, this helped, thanks.

I'm going to buy the second edition and keep the best components from both games, then sell the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody think the original square tin box is going to be something valuable I should keep? I have all of my dice in one of the expansion boxes obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Does anybody think the original square tin box is going to be something valuable I should keep? I have all of my dice in one of the expansion boxes obviously.

It would make a great biscuit tin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:

It would make a great biscuit tin

Not sure my wife would agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:

I'm going to buy the second edition and keep the best components from both games, then sell the rest.

That's a good idea, I think I'll do the same. However at that point I'll have four boxes: the original tin, the new base box, and the two large expansion boxes with the awesome dice tray. I plan to keep the two expansion boxes (right now I just fit everything into one, but if there are more expansions I might want a second big box).

So if I sell the base game then I have to decide if I sell it in the new base game box and keep the tin in case it becomes valuable one day (since it seems its days are over), or if I sell it in the tin and just toss the new box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keeping the tin, and will tell any prospective buyer that he's getting the second edition box with mostly first edition components.

If not biscuits, chocolates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the changes to the dice. Those are so much easier to read than the original version. Not enough to make me want to buy just for the dice, but glad they made the changes for future gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished doing this. It's more tedious than it appears. In my quest to have the best combo set i could have, I found many interesting things in regards to this game's components.

Paint jobs for one.

Say what you will about the readable numbers, but the paint jobs were way more polished in the first edition. I'll point you to any of the dice painted in silver such as Defender. in the second edition it's not silver anymore, it's just grey. Also, my Goblin was almost entirely switched out to keep the first edition because of the laziness factor in the new set. Big non painted spots in the middle of his symbol's forehead. What does he have a third eye? Only one of those die didn't piss me off. In regards to Ooze, one of my second edition die had a giant white streak across one face which made his image/value/defense unreadable. One of my assistants was this way too.

Legibility isn't as bad as you think it is.

For my final picks here, most of them were keeping the second edition dice. However, several sets are combinations. Ooze for example has 2 first edition dice in the set and 3 second edition. I already spoke of my Goblin. My entire Wizard set is first edition. The thing that I noticed when going through was that if they used White paint or Black paint, both editions are quite visible so you can easily mix and match here unless you like uniformity. The Devotee's bronze paint was a tad terrible but I had to stick with second edition because one of my first edition die I noticed was a quiddity die with bronze paint. Didn't notice that before.

So my final edition has mostly second edition dice but also quite a handful of first edition dice. So I would say that the new edition is not without it's flaws and if you want to have a definitive set, I would actually urge you to do the mix and match.

Cards

Seem identical. If anything changed, they fooled me really well.

Glory Tracker

Yes it no longer snakes, but it is no longer a piece of heavy cardboard either. It's just basically card stock now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

can we see some photos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not that tech savvy, but I'll see what I can do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fraasch
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there is any way to just buy the box. I just want it to match my expansion box(es). The tin fits with nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the 2nd printing offer the same sorting options within the box as the quarmageddon expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.