Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Are the Drives (yellow, red, and combo) discarded when a player declares that he wants to use it when he declares heading?

It does not say the do, in the rulebook, but i wonder, why a player must always declare if he wants to use it?
It is great to use it every time.

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
manolios wrote:
Are the Drives (yellow, red, and combo) discarded when a player declares that he wants to use it when he declares heading?

No, once you have the drives, you keep the drives (unless you sell them). Buying them is pretty good because it lets you go faster for the rest of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
manolios wrote:
i wonder, why a player must always declare if he wants to use it?

I could be wrong here, but I believe the case is actually the opposite: you have to declare if you *don't* want to use your drive on that turn. Otherwise it is always assumed that your drive will be used.

I believe the reason for this has to do with the rule that you must always use all of your movement points unless landing at a city, spaceport, or on an asteroid.

So if you want to go only as your speed dice dictate (to stop short of pirates, encounters, nav circles, etc) you have to declare that you are NOT using your drive on that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
So if you want to go only as your speed dice dictate (to stop short of pirates, encounters, nav circles, etc) you have to declare that you are NOT using your drive on that turn.

The problem with this is that it is NEVER to your advantage to stop short of a pirate, nav. circle or encounter on this turn, only to go through them next turn. If that's you only way through, you STILL Have pass them. If you had better options that avoids the hazards, you' go that way.

The AH version had a combat rule that allowed blasting of Penalty markers (I.e ?/encounter spaces where a 10/20/30/40 penalty oval was found) for a reward if you won. In order to blast the penalty you had to stop there, but if you have an activated red or yellow drive, you cannot on a red or yellow penalty marker.

So you turn your drive off, so you can land on the penalty marker and then blast it.

But that required playing with combat rules, which few people did--for good reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
FreedomGunfire wrote:

The problem with this is that it is NEVER to your advantage to stop short of a pirate, nav. circle or encounter on this turn, only to go through them next turn.

The one advantage of stopping short of a pirate would be if that's your alternative to landing directly on the pirate - the rules state if you use your last movement point to enter a pirate space, you automatically lose to the pirate (as you are ambushed). So if the choice was between landing on the pirate and coming up short, the latter is the better option

The same could apply to landing on encounter spaces, too, since they could turn out to be pirates.

However, since you have to declare drive usage BEFORE rolling, making the choice would basically just be a random guess anyway (although I guess you could use dice statistics to figure out what your chances of landing on such spaces might be).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
The problem with this is that it is NEVER to your advantage to stop short of a pirate, nav. circle or encounter on this turn, only to go through them next turn.

I see your point, but I wasn't thinking that way at all. The situation I was thinking of would be something like this:

-you are going through two different nav circles on your move.
-Since you assigned a die to navigation for the first nav circle, you are unable to go the direction you would like out of the 2nd nav circle (i.e. it requires a different navigation value, and you do not have the Switch Switch ability). You head in the required direction out of the 2nd nav circle.
-At the start of your turn, you declared you are not using your drive, which allows you to stop just on the other side of the 2nd nav circle (as opposed to another 3 or 4 movement points, which might send you through yet another nav circle, OR precipitate a pirate encounter.
-Since you have stopped short, you avoid those nasties, and have minimal "backtracking" to do on your next turn as you get back on course with your profitable trading route.

Had this crop up more than you might think (read: 2-3 times) in games already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.