Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
139 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Up Front» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter Reprint Conundrum : Hasbro agreement on the reprint and intellectual property ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: hasbro [+] architecture [+] IP [+] [View All]
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

can we have a proof that HASBRO has released an agreement on another company using their intellectual property and copyrighted material ? Because that is something that start to really annoy me as I am well aware on how tightly they keep their hold on anything Avalon Hill related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
Hi,

can we have a proof that HASBRO has released an agreement on another company using their intellectual property and copyrighted material ? Because that is something that start to really annoy me as I am well aware on how tightly they keep their hold on anything Avalon Hill related.

Hasbro aren't nice people. I know of one instance where they falsely claimed to still have ownership of a lapsed license, simply because the default answer of their legal department is "it's ours! we own it!" for absolutely anything.

That said, I've heard from folks in the industry that Hasbro are perfectly willing to license non-active properties for large (low 5 figure) up-front payments. There could be interesting features of some games, but one suspects that this sort of payment is easier when you're kickstarting something.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
That use to be the case 10 years ago but in recent years many titles gave been released that were Avalon Hill catalog titles that Hasbro owned. I think Hasbro finally figured out that keeping so many titles locked away was doing themselves more harm reputation wise than it was worth. So they finally started letting them be licenced out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure this isn't anything to worry about.
Those of us who have been playing this game for some time will probably remember Andrew Maly's "Up Front Main Page" that once was a great source for expanding and develop the game. Andrew organized the website and didn't make a dime on any of the meterial on it. Still Hasbro (MMP) forced Andrew to shut down the page.

Seen in this light, don't you think Hasbro's lawyers would have been all over this by now if the rights weren't already sorted out??? After all, Andrews website was just that, a website. What we have here is a fully fledged KS campaign. I'm sure Hasbro would have caught wind...

Let's look at another game series that I'm a fan of: VG's "Fleet" series. As of now, the rights to that series has been reverted to the original designer, Joe Balkoski. I suspect that something similar might actually be the case with Up Front (as has also been hinted at here on the BGG). Courtney Allen is on the team and the sidebar advertisement for the Up Front KS Campaign, which sometimes show up on BGG, announces "Coutney Allen's Up Front".

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that as, Hasbro is a very aggressive company they could wait until the end of the Kickstarter to produce the cease and dessist. They could even wait until the product is produced, sue them and then try to grab all the materials to released them under their logo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
Except that as, Hasbro is a very aggressive company they could wait until the end of the Kickstarter to produce the cease and dessist. They could even wait until the product is produced, sue them and then try to grab all the materials to released them under their logo.

Aggressive as they are, things don't work like that.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:

If you deliberately let people use your shit, you don't get to call it your shit any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
IKerensky wrote:

If you deliberately let people use your shit, you don't get to call it your shit any more.

Well, no, the new art etc that VG/RG has paid for is still owned by them and Hasbro don't get to simply take it. Waiting until they see whether people actually sell something before suing is fine.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, so now that we break 100,000 we suddenly need a new conspiracy? This was thrown out as a problem early on but gained no traction, you can look through the old threads if you are truly interested in the issue.

Poliorcetes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
Hi,

Just speaking as a player of 29 years: I'd suggest here that you're making an (common) assumption about who owns what with regards to Up Front, without taking other possible interested parties/owners into account, which might also tie into why the reprint was never able to be completed by MMP a decade ago.

[Daniel does ... see below! ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the rights to UP FRONT! Surprise suckaz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poliorcetes wrote:
Oh, so now that we break 100,000 we suddenly need a new conspiracy? This was thrown out as a problem early on but gained no traction, you can look through the old threads if you are truly interested in the issue.

Poliorcetes

That is not conspiracy. That is a true concern. Up Front failed to be reprinted for a long time and the owning of the licence and IP was a major point in it. Now there is a reprint announced but NO INFORMATION about securing the licence or IP nor an agreement with Hasbro about it.

How can I back something that I am not sure is a legal enterprise ? amn't I entitled to ask for proof ? I asked Hasbro about it but dont really expect an answer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:

That is not conspiracy.

Yes it is!

Do you really think this would have gotten so far if the ownership-issues were not sorted out?

Maybe you missed this:
DaveyJJ wrote:
Just speaking as a player of 29 years: I'd suggest here that you're making an (common) assumption about who owns what with regards to Up Front, without taking other possible interested parties/owners into account, which might also tie into why the reprint was never able to be completed by MMP a decade ago.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
Poliorcetes wrote:

Poliorcetes

That is not conspiracy. That is a true concern. Up Front failed to be reprinted for a long time and the owning of the licence and IP was a major point in it. Now there is a reprint announced but NO INFORMATION about securing the licence or IP nor an agreement with Hasbro about it.

How can I back something that I am not sure is a legal enterprise ? amn't I entitled to ask for proof ? I asked Hasbro about it but dont really expect an answer...

Well we'll find out in 6 months. Until then I wouldn't worry, nothing anyone says here will change anything, and if anything happens it'll be too late to worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a lot like Hasbro are up to their old tricks again.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
Poliorcetes wrote:

Poliorcetes

AHA! Well done!! The Eye of Sauron is now looking directly at the UpFront KS campaign. Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
Iceland
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamecat_uk wrote:
AHA! Well done!! The Eye of Sauron is now looking directly at the UpFront KS campaign. Congrats!

I was going to say. If they didn't know about it before, they do now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
gamecat_uk wrote:

I was going to say. If they didn't know about it before, they do now...

Well I would say they knew about it when (and ifwhistle) they sold the rights to VG. Now, if they didn't we should put a yellow "DO NOT CROSS" tape around this particular forum, which could be concluded with some admin saying: Nothing to see here people, move along please...laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the Hasbro family live in my city. My niece went to a party at one of their houses. Holy crap, indoor waterfalls, elevators, you name it. And yes, I can speak to their aggressiveness. They are ALL ABOUT the money. I can tell you many stories gleaned through my niece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If one has concerns about Hasbro and/or Valley Games, please don't participate in the project. They seem to be doing quite well with it. A few things concerning this:

1. The original designer is involved. He should understand whether he can do this. With all previous issues with getting a reprint on this particular game, one can assume they have done their homework with it, especially the designer.

2. I was working with the project (before my new baby took my time away) and refused to help until I knew the IP issues were resolved. (they have been)

3. They aren't using the "Squad Leader" IP for this project. And that was really all Avalon Hill had to do with the original UF except the publishing.

4. Some have a personal interest in trying to harm Valley Games. See several other threads for their justifications as rehashing is getting old.

5. This is yet another thread that has nothing to do with the actual game that is clogging the site for people with legitimate interest in both versions of the game. Please take concerns about Kickstarter to the appropriate Kickstarter area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
...amn't I entitled to ask for proof ? I asked Hasbro about it but dont really expect an answer...

You are entitled to ask for anything you wish, being entitled to an answer is completely different. I would suggest that you are NOT entitled to an answer from any of the parties involved (or not involved) in this project. If this bothers you, then I suggest you not back the project.

How many other companies have you asked for proof that they own the rights to publish? I suspect none.

The original designer is heavily involved in the project. That is good enough for me.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
4. Some have a personal interest in trying to harm Valley Games.

Some have a personal interest in seeing Valley Games, Inc. pay its bills. Fixed that for you.

Your other points are valid, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What appropriate kickstarter area? The backers only comments?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
What appropriate kickstarter area? The backers only comments?

B>

+1

Why are people so agressively paranoïd when you ask a simple question, that come a lot in all thoses years when you speak about ASL material.

And you can bet that before paying 150$ IN ADVANCE for any ASL/AH reprint I would take all garanty that thoses products should be delivered.

Finally all I asked is : is the IP secured and in the hand of RG or not ? why is there no one answering just that ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask this guy:

https://ourcpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/servlet/cpa.app.coa.CoaGe...

Click "Officers and Directors."

We haven't heard from him yet, and he OWNS the company.

He was apparently at a very convention where his firm won an award, but it was an award accepted by two officers of a different firm.

It's certainly very interesting, if nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.