Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Blight
Netherlands
Wageningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own:
Le Havre (got a year ago, hasn't been out that much, probably due to it's length. enjoy it a lot though.)
Puerto Rico (on the iPad, play it loads and DIG it)

I enjoy and have played frequently:
Caylus
Power Grid
Amun Re
Discworld: Ankh-Morpach (curveball!)

I'd like to play more of:
Notre Dame
Dominion
Agricola
Snowdonia

I'd like to steer away from:
Long games
Complex games
Smallworld

I've tried to keep this brief and succinct! I've got a small amount of birthday money and would like to get a boardgame which will come out more often that Le Havre. For some reason Innovation appeals to me, though I've never played it. Based on the above, what would you recommend me?

Thanks,
Custard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion. It's quicker set up, play, and take down than Le Havre. Plus, the variety of cards available make it very re-playable.

And it's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend 7 Wonders or Samurai if you you are looking for really fun games that don't last too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many are you playing with?

That said, I would second the recommendation of both Dominion (plays 2-4) and 7 Wonders (plays 2-7). Both are engaging, replayable and have short playing time.

Stone Age might be another possibility. Plays 2-4 in a longer playing time than the others (about an hour).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
custard_t wrote:
I'd like to steer away from:
Long games
Complex games
Smallworld

Seriously, it's funny as hell that you specifically excluded Small World. That made my morning.

"Long" is sort of relative. Nexus Ops plays in about ninety and is a different kind of play, but only good with three or four. You get to shoot people in this one. Biblios is magnificent, short, and super-easy to learn. Vastly underrated game. Alhambra produces deep focus. Skip the expansions and things will stay very simple and very interesting. Best with three. Hive is cheap, gorgeous, super-fast to play (ten minutes maybe) and engaging. Two player game. You can pull this one out while waiting for the bus.

Fair warning -- NONE of these titles were published in 2012 so they're "old" games. I think all of them are over five years old now. But all are good.

When you're ready to really get dug in we can talk about Acquire. But it's fifty years old so it can't be any good.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
judging from your tastes:

Navegador

Since you like Notre Dame, you might like some other games by the same designer. I would recommend
In the Year of the Dragon
Macao
The Castles of Burgundy

And if you want a euro that is a little more interactive and confrontational and you are playing with at least 3
Hansa Teutonica
or even

Tigris & Euphrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More

It is quick, easy to learn, and offers a delightful amount of depth in an itty-bitty nugget of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like strategy games try

Torres

Outstanding Game. Simple Rules. Playtime arround 60 Minutes. Fast setup. Extremely deep Tactics. For me it is was the last real sophisticated SDJ.

greets Hessi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also own and enjoy Le Havre, Puerto Rico, Caylus, Dominion, Agricola, Power Grid, Notre Dame... and have likewise been leaning away from longer games lately. The faster card games just hit the table a lot more.

Our two most-played games here are Race for the Galaxy and Glory to Rome. Race will feel slightly similar to Puerto Rico (but still a very different game), and uses a slightly arcane iconography that takes a few plays to understand, but it's worth the effort. Glory to Rome is likewise a card game with roles and building cool things, but is less like Puerto Rico, and more wacky/swingy. They're both great.

Eminent Domain combines elements of the above two games with elements of Dominion. It doesn't feel as different each game as the two aforementioned, but like Puerto Rico, it's still quite replayable.

If you like Dominion, I will say that Ascension is similar (albeit less strategic) and plays (and sets up) a lot faster.

And I'd say that Innovation seems a reasonable grab -- it's yet more wacky and swingy than the above, and much more opportunities for direct spite. If that sounds good to you, Innovation is a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love all three of the Knizia tile laying trilogy

Samurai
Through the Desert
Tigris & Euphrates

all about an hour, the first two even less.

Milestones is a new light/med fav of mine. It has SDJ written all over it

Hansa Teutonica
Lancaster
both good med weight games

for card games, there have been some good threads lately including
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/890012/the-best-next-med...
(please ignore anything that appears to be self promotion lol, its just a good discussion of med weight card games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder quick, fun, different every time and this one is a lot deeper than the simple mechanics lead you to believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blight
Netherlands
Wageningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
judging from your tastes:
Navegador

thanks for this, i've never heard of it before, so may be one my local group hasn't got. will be sure to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blight
Netherlands
Wageningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
callow wrote:

this also looks good, and i love the highlands... thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blight
Netherlands
Wageningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks, will look at this one - but what is an SDJ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) is brilliant, fun, deep, quick, easy, and really refined.

Edits - Typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:

Samurai
Through the Desert
Tigris & Euphrates

Hansa Teutonica
Lancaster

(please ignore anything that appears to be self promotion lol, its just a good discussion of med weight card games)

Hansa Teutonica and Tigris sure don't feel medium when you are playing them. I swear I felt bruises on my brain on more than one occasion when playing these! In a good way, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speil de Jahres winner. Its a prestigeous game of the year award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
riddlen wrote:

Samurai
Through the Desert
Tigris & Euphrates

Hansa Teutonica
Lancaster

Hansa Teutonica and Tigris sure don't feel medium when you are playing them. I swear I felt bruises on my brain on more than one occasion when playing these! In a good way, though.

try Village then lol, its like Hansa on steroids. One play in and I really like it but dont have a great feel yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.