Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report was written originally after playtesting a prototype version, so I apologise if any information given isn’t accurate for the finished game. For the sake of those involved, the names have been changed…

The players for this game were myself, Peter, Kate and Susan (no, we aren’t from a children’s adventure book). The rules were easy to explain, and we were set up and ready to go in about 15 minutes.

To begin with there was some initial discussion about what was a good thing to do to with the starting actions. I suggested looking at it as if it where a real situation – what would you be looking to do? We went with fishing, collecting wood, picking up shipwreck remains (with the hope of finding tools or a lighter to make some jobs easier to do in the next round), and 3 of us went exploring with the 4th player deciding to write in her diary. The first shipwreck remains card draw set the theme for the first half of the game. Players went wide-eyed and grabbed the cards that gave them the most story points or personal food rather than cards that helped the group. We threw away the sail at this stage, which would come back to haunt us later.

The exploration was fairly straight-forward, and we decided to return when the return to camp marker got to about 9, although we did get lost. The player in camp ate what food was there, and we moved on a day. The following day, the only player in camp was the start player, and, having already found the pocket watch decided she wanted to write in her diary as the starter action. We managed to find our way back to camp with 1 action remaining, and used it to rest. As we had the cook, this gave us 2 cubes of food for the day, but this was eaten by the players that had their own personal food stash, so 2 players didn’t get to eat, and with no fire lit, were out of energy.

The following few days followed a similar pattern. One of the players low on energy suggested building a shelter to help with resting, but no other player was willing to give the energy to it, so it remained unbuilt. It was all turning into ‘Lord Of The Flies’ (with this thought in mind I’d personally use a shell to mark the start player – whomever has the conch goes first). The players with food kept eating the food in storage whenever they could, so the other 2 players were struggling with energy, eventually resorting to exploring to try and find some food. Nobody wanted to build the shelter, 1 player had the last bottle of ink, another had the treasure chest. Players were still hording their own food supplies, and eating what was in storage. It was all about personal survival and wealth.

At the half way point, all Players realised that none of this mattered, and that they would need to pull together to make it out, so everybody agreed to give up their selfish ways, and to go all out to help the group. The campfire got lit at last, and a shelter built. The bonfire was made, and food gathered. The group healed up as best they could, and all went on an exploration. The 2nd deck got played through, and with 2 days remaining, the game was all set for a tense finish with 7 cards left in the final exploration deck. One player had 3 ‘sequels’ (we referred to them as ‘infections’) and so had to tread carefully. We all made sure we had energy, and the camp was in good order with food in the reserve and set out on what we hoped was the final exploration.

The third card draw forced a return to camp, so we still had 4 cards left and 1 day to finish it in. The group was now fully committed to completing all the required elements in order to finish the game, and we agreed to worry about the score at the very end, and not get too focused on it at that time. So, we all rested, and we set off. We succeeded in playing through the last 4 cards, but needed a roll of higher than a 7 to return to camp – this worked out fortunately, and we then entered our last survival phase. Everybody fed, everybody rested, and then we took an injury roll. One player then rolled and picked up his 4th ‘sequel’, finishing him off. We divided his goods, and signalled for the ship. Our event card was a 14, so with the adjusted rules, we reduced that by 4 to a 10, and then added up our bonuses. We had the Mirror, the Captains Log, the Spyglass, and the Bonfire, so that added up to 7. So, on a d6 we needed a 3 or more. We rolled a 1.

Since our session, the roll has been removed from the game, and now is a matter of having some items and buildings finished, so luck has been overall reduced. Also the chances of death are lowered.

Talking after the game, we realised the error of our ways – by seeking our own fortunes, we had failed to work as a group, and had missed out on the sail. We hadn’t taken the cannon back to camp because we hadn’t been working together on exploring to give us the time to end the exploration when we needed to in order to gain it. With the cannon and the raft and the sign, which we didn’t have the energy to build, we would have been fine. Let that be a lesson to us all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report...and my question....is it good game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Corral de Diego
Spain
Malaga
Malaga
flag msg tools
designer
CRUSOE: Comming soon (2012)
mbmbmbmbmb
When I designed the game, I wanted this, that at the end of the game, players tell a story, not a recap of numbers or statistics. In Náufragos (Castaways) (ex-crusoe) players must make many difficult decisions. If they survive, only one of them will win, but if they do not cooperate, all will die. This is the essence of the game and I truly believe that is well achieved.
The final edition (scheduled for February 2013 if all goes well) has been tested hundreds of times; contains many different frames and are preparing expansions that will totally change the island where he is shipwrecked.
Castaway is a mixture of Eurogame (Resources Management) themed adventure (exploration of the island) and many discussions about what is best for each player to survive while (diplomacy).

I sincerely hope you enjoy the game, the long delay suffered from its originally scheduled departure, was because we want to publish the best game possible. It is very difficult that you like everyone, but our aim is to reach 99% ...

Forgive my bad English, by the way. Traslator Google is my friend ... or my enemy. I do not know ... XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Corral de Diego
Spain
Malaga
Malaga
flag msg tools
designer
CRUSOE: Comming soon (2012)
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Thanks for the report...and my question....is it good game?

Mmm, It depends what kind of games you like ... I encourage you to try before you buy or read more reviews upon publication.

Tell me your opinion in the future, when you know the answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm curious if anyone who has played can comment on what they think the replayability will be like. From this session report, it sounds like everyone had fun learning the lesson that they need to work together or die. But now that they've learned that lesson, what does the game have to offer if the same group wants to play it again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for this report! Sounds like a very cool game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vicente
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
But now that they've learned that lesson, what does the game have to offer if the same group wants to play it again?

I would say that once you are confortable with the game, the fun lies in knowing when to be selfish and when to cooperate. Judging when the team is doing well enough so you can do on your own is essential.
You could be lazy and stay in your tent writing in your diary to score VP, or you could wait to be last in turn to go on an expedition by yourself. Some mates will see this as a backstab and will try to do the same, so there is a risk that the team will fall apart. But, hey, only the player with the most VP will win, so why scape the island if you are not that player? You will lose anyway, so it's definitelly worth the risk, the question is: how much do you want to push it?

Moreover, the final version of the game comes with a lot more storylines in the exploration cards. In this way you ensure that every game will be different.

Hope this helps you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the game yesterday and our game was completly different. At the beginning we agreed on working together. We build shelters, we had a campfire en there was food for everybody and We all went exploring

One day when 3 of us explored we went all the way to number 11 and i decided it was time to go back to camp and everybody joined the return.
I rolled a 5 2 we are lost!

I gave away 1 of my diary (victorypoints) to reroll.
6 1 lost again! I gave away another diary.
3 1 cry lost again. I had 2 more diary's left and gave 1 more away to reroll.
6 4 + 1 to add to the returnroll of my character we are safe home at last.

Lost 3 diary's and a lot of points to save the team. I got no thanks.

After a couple of turns we explored the heart of the island and there where only a couple of cards left.

Canibals! We had to give away 6 diary's to save ourself and recieve 1 diary each.
2 of the players had 5 diary's and me and another player had only 2 diary's

One player with 5 diary's decided he did not want to spend more than 2.
The bastard! I saved him a couple of turns ago with all my rerolls!

It was like from dusk till down. This nice adventure turnd into a horror
We where captured and lost.
Nobody would spent diary's or hunt for food to help somebody out and everybody played just for himself.
There was a last adventure and we reachd the end of the track and where rescued.
The player who did not gave away his diary's won.

So in my opinion.

The player who wins this game is a ...

You are the one who steels money from a pensionfond!
You are like a football player who takes money to lose a game!
You are like a gangster who shoots everybody after a heist to get all the money!

You are ..... Aaaaaargh i hate you!

I realy liked the game
The theme is awesome!
A chance to get to know how your "friends" are realy like!
bastards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vicente
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation" - Plato

I should point out that you did something wrong. You are only allowed to spend one of you diary tokens per roll. So, after you rolled 7 for the second time, you were completely lost unless you spent as much energy as there were explorers in order to try again (and yes, you could have spent another diary token if you missed this new roll too).

Basically the general rule is: Each roll can one be re-rolled once with diary tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx
We probebly did a few other things wrong, like always.
But it does not chance the way i feel about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.