Recommend
51 
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The 215th Edition of the TGIF Poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 215th TGIF Poll
Which would you rather do?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Play an awful game with really fun people
96.8% 335
Play a really fun game with awful people
3.2% 11
Voters 346
Which is more likely when playing a new game?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Great players positively impact your opinion of the game
68.6% 234
Awful players negatively impact your opinion of the game
31.4% 107
Voters 341
Is there such a thing as a game that is so good it will always be enjoyable no matter who you play with?

("No matter who" is intended to be within reason. I'm not talking about playing with infants, psychotics, apes, or something ridiculous like that.)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Absolutely
5.7% 20
Probably
27.0% 94
Doubtful
39.4% 137
No Way
25.3% 88
I have no idea
2.6% 9
Voters 348
This poll is now closed.   350 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Dec 6, 2012 6:00 am


4. If you can, talk about a time you had a good time playing a game that was really bad.

Any discussion is encouraged.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Shitty players can ruin ANYTHING.
32 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are awful people, then I endeavor to absolutely crush them in victory to salvage the time spent....
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVED Myrmes but recently played with some painfully slow players who kept wanting to undo moves etc. I really now have no desire to play it as much which is a real shame
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What Magic Pink said above.

So, a really bad game I played that I had a great time with was playing Senator at the first BGG.CON. It was a truly awful game that we laughed and smack talked all the way through.

Great time!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
#4 - Most kids games. My son loves Candy Land, Chutes & Ladders, and Zingo. These are totlly mindless, luck-driven games, but he has fun, so I have fun, even when I'm a couple spots from the candy castle and draw the gingerbread man card.
9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
4. If you can, talk about a time you had a good time playing a game that was really bad.

The people are what make something fun and I have so much fun playing with my friends that I find it hard to remember which bad games we were playing when we had fun.

On the other hand, I've played many fun/good games with players with bad attitudes that stick in my memory like a knife.

sobluesoblue
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:
4. If you can, talk about a time you had a good time playing a game that was really bad.


Too many to narrow down to one. One of my favorite aspects of attending Lobster Trap every year is the opportunity to try out lots of new games - many of them truly dreadful, in my opinion - with a bunch of folks who make it a very fun experience.

Last year, for instance, we played Alba Longa, Tuareg, Terra Evolution, Kingdom Builder, and Mil - all games I rate a 3. But I had a very enjoyable time doing so.

This is why I don't look to separate the fun the game provided from the fun the players provided. I've even enjoyed playing games I rate a 1, because of the company...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is always another choice than playing with awful people, so the questions are only interesting in a purely theoretical sense, and not in a practical sense.

I can always choose to simply play solitaire. And for a wargamer, that is not only a frequent option, but also often a necessity, or even a preference.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Magic Pink wrote:
...can ruin ANYTHING.


I tend to prefer the opposite approach - with the right players, you can have fun playing any game. I remember playing a delightful game of MouseTrap one evening when one friend mentioned never having played the game...
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sometimes I think he does it to prove a point about how much money I waste on games. My friend will challenge me to a game of connect four or mouse trap and we'll have a blast. One of our favorite games to play on a Friday night is thing a ma bots. It's not that great of a game, even. It's just one of those games that in the right crowd is an insane amount of fun.

The game is not the source of the fun. It's the people who are enjoying or enduring whatever you're playing together.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I'll be very surprised if the awful people get a lot of votes. The primary reason I enjoy playing games is the people, so I'll play a bad game if I can be with people I like.

2 - I think playing with a group I don't enjoy can be more damaging to my opinion of the game. I'm used to playing with people I love because I usually play with family, so I've learned to differentiate the quality of the game from the high quality of the people.

3 - Probably. If you play something that is multiplayer solitaire the other players can do whatever stupid stuff they want without impacting your fun. For example FITS or BITS are both games where the actions of the other players have no bearing on how you play your game.

4 - I have so many it's hard to pick just one. In fact most of the games I rate a 1, 2, or 3, I actually had fun playing because the group just found a way to make fun of the game. For example, I remember playing Imatchination with my parents and my wife. We quickly realized that this game was just stupid because you could write the same things every time. You were trying to just match words with your partner and there were no rules that regulated how closely those words needed to relate to the picture in the middle. So it became a challenge for us to see how similar we all could get our lists to the lists we wrote in the prior round. I think at one point Rikki even kept the same list from a previous round and didn't write anything new because every word was at least loosely related to the picture in the middle. We had some hearty laughs at how poor the game was and went on to play something else, but I was glad we didn't let the awful game ruin our night.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'd rather play Twilight Struggle with an "awful" opponent (within reason), than Carcassonne with "fun" opponents. TS is such a great game, I can't imagine anyone who could spoil it while still qualifying as "playing the game". Carcassonne, on the other hand, is just irredeemably bad -- I wouldn't play that again no matter who else was playing.

2. Awful players don't really sour me on games. Unless they're cheating or something, at which point they really aren't playing anymore. And a lot of bad behavior can be legislated away, e.g. strict time limits for APers. Great players, however, can make a good game great. (but as noted above, they won't make a bad game any better)

3. Absolutely. See the TS example in #1.

4. I can't. A bad game by definition isn't fun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
4. If you can, talk about a time you had a good time playing a game that was really bad.

Any discussion is encouraged.


I suppose this counts, but I've spent many an hour on the floor playing games like Candyland, Apples in the Basket, and such games with my daughter when she was wee little. I hated those games but loved the experience. And the pay-off's been great as now she plays Star Trek: Fleet Captains, Defenders of the Realm and other more enjoyable gmes with me.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth mentioning that the inspiration for this poll is the Flip the Table Podcast which I have come to love. These guys play and review awful games for every episode, yet somehow they always seem to salvage fun out of the experience.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter how good a game is, having to deal with an awful person whether they're winning or losing can make anything extremely unpleasant. A so-called "multiplayer solitaire" game is one of the only cases I can think of where playing with awful people like that could be tolerable, only because you you'll have only minimal interaction with them.



An awful player is a different matter entirely. While they can drag down a game somewhat, especially if it's one where poor decisions by one can hurt everyone (I'm thinking economic games in particular; Container for example), as long as they aren't pissing and moaning the whole game or being an ass about it, it can still be a very fun play.



I've had great times playing any number of low-ranked games simply because of the company. UNO, Sorry!, Apples to Apples, and even the dreaded Monopoly can be exceptionally fun with the right people. Granted, playing a better game makes it even better, but bad games don't have to equal bad plays.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I have a list of people that I'll play anything with, and I know I'd enjoy the game.

2 I have a lot more good gaming experiences than bad ones. It's more likely that good players will make me like a bad game.

3 I recently played a game with 2 bad players and one of my favorite players in the world. The 2 bad players could ruin anything. (One had AP, the other had "I've already lost, who cares" disease.)

4 Since I missed the Battling Tops tournament this year, I'll have to go with a game of Fluxx I played at a restaurant a while back. Fluxx can be torture, but it can be downright fun in the right place.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
It's worth mentioning that the inspiration for this poll is the Flip the Table Podcast which I have come to love. These guys play and review awful games for every episode, yet somehow they always seem to salvage fun out of the experience.


This reminds me, and inspires me, to get bad games to the table on a "Bad Game Night".

Specifically, Tanbark Trail.

LOL

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I played Shogun it was with a highly AP player which negatively colored my opinion of the game so much I do not want to play it again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I can tell when a game is bad because of the players I played it with. In that case, I try and reserve judgement for another play.

But, good players can make any game fun.

We had a memorable game of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse – The Movie Board Game that someone bought for me as a joke. He's normally a very serious win at all cost type of player, so I tried to turn it around on him by making him play it right then and there. Everyone still talks about how much fun we had.

This past birthday, someone that hears the stories, but wasn't there bought me The Twilight Saga: New Moon – The Movie Board Game

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I very seldom have played a game with awful players, not because I put a lot of effort in to avoiding awful players, but because (in my experience) awful players are pretty rare. On the other hand, I have played a fair number of awful games.

While I'd rather play a awful game with fun players than a good game with awful players, my preference is to play a good game with fun players. Since, again in my experience, there are more awful games than awful players, I spend more effort avoiding awful games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I once played in a Magic tournament playing Vintage (for those that don't know it is the oldest format and has very complex rules interactions.)

I lost a round very quickly and went to watch one of my friends finish their round. Because of the seating I ended up sitting next to his opponent and quickly realized he was cheating. What he was doing was rearranging his graveyard. This is legal to do in modern magic but not in vintage (I knew my friends deck cared about graveyard order)He was also announcing and then unannouncing spells and attempting to try to cast spells he couldn't pay for and in general not playing well. He was losing the game and when I brought up what he was doing was not legal he jumped up started screaming at me and threatened to "kick my ass". Sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut. I said "Go for it buddy, but don't be mad at me you are the one that doesn't know how to play and you'll be the one kicked out of the tourney." and he lunged at me. Thankfully at that point his friends had come and held him back.

In the end we both got warnings. Which afterwards I realized that HE should have been ejected from the tourney. What was amazing to me was that the TO told me this wasn't the first time he had gotten into a fight at a tourney.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
Avatar
mb
Quote:
Is there such a thing as a game that is so good it will always be enjoyable no matter who you play with?


I went with probably, because I'm sure such a game exists but don't have enough experience yet to know which game it is. I imagine a game where players are ostensibly playing together but in reality each is playing their own solo game on a shared board is going to be reasonably easy to enjoy no matter who you play with (unless you hate solo games or, as you say, they're flinging poop across the table or something).

I hear Mage Knight is a bit like this, although I think the playing a move then taking it back could quickly become old news if you're stuck with someone with severe AP. Maybe something along these lines but where players take turns simultaneously, or where some kind of time limit is involved so one player can't hold everything up.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
I once played in a Magic tournament playing Vintage (for those that don't know it is the oldest format and has very complex rules interactions.)

I lost a round very quickly and went to watch one of my friends finish their round. Because of the seating I ended up sitting next to his opponent and quickly realized he was cheating. What he was doing was rearranging his graveyard. This is legal to do in modern magic but not in vintage (I knew my friends deck cared about graveyard order)He was also announcing and then unannouncing spells and attempting to try to cast spells he couldn't pay for and in general not playing well. He was losing the game and when I brought up what he was doing was not legal he jumped up started screaming at me and threatened to "kick my ass". Sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut. I said "Go for it buddy, but don't be mad at me you are the one that doesn't know how to play and you'll be the one kicked out of the tourney." and he lunged at me. Thankfully at that point his friends had come and held him back.

In the end we both got warnings. Which afterwards I realized that HE should have been ejected from the tourney. What was amazing to me was that the TO told me this wasn't the first time he had gotten into a fight at a tourney.

He wasn't even santioned for the illegal play?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's not a "bad" game per se, I have had a lot of fun playing Quariors - a game that I have fallen out of love (and into hate) with - over the past few months.

Whenever new people come over, my girlfriend, bless her heart, always suggests playing Quarriors. It's easy enough to learn, quick to play, and all that.

I get it. I really do, but I can't overlook the knowledge that there are about 18 games on the shelf that would work just as well without the lunacy that is dice building.

I get caught up in the action, and the fact that the game is a new experience to my peers - and by extension, the fact that the people I am playing with do not know about the 18 better games sitting RIGHT OVER THERE - has me enjoying the game basically in spite of myself.

Wow. I think I just convinced myself that Quarriors is indeed a great game.

I wonder how much trouble I am going to be in when it is discovered that I traded Quarriors away...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.