Hide
12 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains – Romulan Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Emergency cloaking, is there a breakaway? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Man
msg tools
I use movement to Emergency cloak, and there are enemy ships in the space. No breakaway roll, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kalota
Poland
Sopot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure?
Quote:
Breakaway:
If your uncloaked ship begins the turn in a location occupied by any uncloaked enemy ships, you must make a Breakaway Roll before you can move that ship.

Quote:
Emergency Cloaking (Cloaking Action)
Once per turn (each ship may only do it once per turn), instead of using a Cloaking Action to cloak your ship, you may do so as part of your movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Olli
Austria
Vienna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard one. Is something you do as part of your movement (emergency cloaking) that actually is not a move in itself something you can do "before you start to move"...

OMG, I think this needs an official ruling whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kizilis
United Kingdom
Ashford
KENT
flag msg tools
badge
Jolan Tru!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this last night. I had two Romulan ships about to be blown up by a Klingon BoP and a DN.

I wanted to perform an emergency cloak. But when I read the rules, it was clear to me that I had to perform a Breakaway roll, because an Emergency Cloak is part of Movement, and before you can move, you have to perform a break away roll.

My brother disagreed and was of the opinion that a roll was not needed, but his argument was based more on the theme as opposed to the rules. In the end we ruled that the roll had to be taken, which in turn destroyed one of my ships on the reaction attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always played that way, that we don't have to make a breakaway when we cloak, whether as an action or as an emergency cloaking. The emergency cloaking was introduced to make things easier; to make cloaking more often possible. So, I think it would still work in that situation. Thematically, it would be the logical way.

But I would also like to see an official clarification in that case, just to be absolutely sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kizilis
United Kingdom
Ashford
KENT
flag msg tools
badge
Jolan Tru!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm partialy agree. Cloaking as part of an action would not trigger a Breakaway roll, because that roll only occurs if an uncloaked ship declares Movement.

Emergency cloak on the other hand IS part of movement and can only be triggered after the ship has declared movement, so it will trigger a Breakaway roll.

The balancing thing here is that emergency cloak doesn't cost you a precious Action, while an Action-made Cloak will get you out of sticky wickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gkizilis wrote:
The balancing thing here is that emergency cloak doesn't cost you a precious Action, while an Action-made Cloak will get you out of sticky wickets.

Well, that's right. On the other hand, you have to spend 5 precious movement points to perform the emergency cloak. So, you possibly won't get very far away and the opponent could come after you and try to uncloak you with a scan action; except you confuse him by using echoes.

But you're right, it's not written that clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cows Go Moo
msg tools
sirafin wrote:
Are you sure?
Quote:
Breakaway:
If your uncloaked ship begins the turn in a location occupied by any uncloaked enemy ships, you must make a Breakaway Roll before you can move that ship.

Quote:
Emergency Cloaking (Cloaking Action)
Once per turn (each ship may only do it once per turn), instead of using a Cloaking Action to cloak your ship, you may do so as part of your movement.

This came up in a recent game for us as well.

We ruled that while Emergency Cloaking is part of a ship's movement, it doesn't actually move the ship & therefore does not trigger a Breakaway Roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kizilis
United Kingdom
Ashford
KENT
flag msg tools
badge
Jolan Tru!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody has had a ruling on this at all?

It looks to me that Emergency Cloaking should trigger Breakaway roll due to the fact that is part of the movement and moving from a location with enemy ships always triggers Breakaway rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Part of Movement" and "moving from a location" are not the same thing. Barring an official ruling I would tend to agree with the "no breakaway roll is necessary" camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Palacios Outón
Spain
San Fernando
Cádiz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To EC you must expend 5 movements points, but moving is not mandatory. The rules state that "you may do so as part of your movement".
No Movement = No Breakaway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.