Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a possibility to make the game system handle a given number of players well rather than just the 3-player stated. The 3-player preference is due to the nine Prophecy cards that are distributed to the players, which works best and evenly with only 3 players.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

meeple Set up the game piles as normal, but do not distribute the prophecies to the players. Leave the prophecies in the three skill piles. (Variant: shuffle all prophecies into one single pile)

meeple Addition to shopping rules: when shopping, the player can purchase a single prophecy (blindly from any of the three skill piles with cards left) for the cost of 1 gold in addition to equipment purchases. Only one such prophecy can be purchased per turn. Ex. Joe draws three Market cards, purchases two of them for two GP and gives one more GP to draw the top of the Guiding Skill Prophecy deck.

meeple Until all Prophecy cards are purchased, all Hunts are automatically thwarted. Hunting parties must still have one of each type of Skill represented. Thwarted Hunts are handled normally.

sauron Defeated Dark Agent Item rewards do not include Prophecy cards. Defeated Dark Agents with Item rewards include a free Prophecy card along with the King's Bounty. A Prophecy can not be purchased during the Reward Item purchase.

meeple Any number of Prophecy Cards can be held. Prophecy Cards can be included in player trades if desired. Prophecy Cards are not discarded when Disbanding.

meeple Once all Prophecy cards are purchased, game continues normally with Hunts attempting to figure out the Shadow's prophecy.

This allows the Prophecy cards to come into play gradually and be distributed with the game's economics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I like the idea. Have you play tested it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't playtested this yet, nope. Time will tell.

If you have more regular groups than mine, go for it. Let us know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I've been kicking around an analogous idea for 2/4/5+ player games:

Quest For the Prophecy.
Distribute the prophecy cards evenly and put the remainder in another stack. Players then go on quests to find the rest of the prophecy. If your hunt isn't thwarted draw a dark agent. If you beat it you draw one of the remaining prophecy cards. Once they're all distributed play normally.

I'll let you know how it works when I get to playtest it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like these suggestions for 4-5 players. The game seems perfect for 3 players but kind of confusing for 4-5 players. So an alternate way to play with extra players is certainly welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
selenite wrote:
Distribute the prophecy cards evenly and put the remainder in another stack. Players then go on quests to find the rest of the prophecy. If your hunt isn't thwarted draw a dark agent. If you beat it you draw one of the remaining prophecy cards. Once they're all distributed play normally.

This idea was kicked around at BGG Con, except the remainder cards are just revealed. Simple and it makes the game run a little faster. They said it play tested well.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My only concerns for these are the Prophet character - his Champion ability lets him change the Prophecy, but he has to replace the card he draws with another one of the same type. I guess the easy solution is, if he can't replace the card, he just looks at it and puts it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
My only concerns for these are the Prophet character - his Champion ability lets him change the Prophecy, but he has to replace the card he draws with another one of the same type. I guess the easy solution is, if he can't replace the card, he just looks at it and puts it back.

Here I would say the Prophet ability needs the player to purchase a Prophecy card (or trade to get one). Merely another factor to consider when wanting to hire this character, then, can you afford to get prophecies to best utilize him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaborn wrote:
This idea was kicked around at BGG Con, except the remainder cards are just revealed. Simple and it makes the game run a little faster. They said it play tested well.

I was in that group and it did work well. On reflection it made the game run a little too fast so I want to try something else. But all of my recent games have been three player, sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shake One issue with this variant has come to light through the play I've seen with it. There is more incentive to build up a party with skills than purchase the Prophecy cards. Although the Prophecy cards give one an advantage in deciding how to build a party eventually, the short-term goal of a party able to beat Dark Agents can take priority. One recent game had only three cards purchased (out of nine) after two hours.

So, time to modify the variant rules a bit to include a driver to distribute the Prophecy cards eventually and get to the Shadow Hunt. Please feel free to post any results from playtest with this adjusted rule.

Here is the old rule before it was changed:
Quote:
sauron Defeated Dark Agent Item rewards do not include Prophecy cards. A Prophecy can not be purchased during the Reward Item purchase.

The adjusted rule is:
Quote:
sauron Defeated Dark Agents with Item rewards include a free Prophecy card. A Prophecy can not be purchased during the Reward Item purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played with this variant the other day, with one Prophecy card dealt to each player at game start, it worked well.

A clarification for use of the Elder Advisor with this variant:

Clarification wrote:
The Elder Statesman Normal Ability allows the Player to request to view a Guiding, Seeking or Fighting Prophecy of another Player. If the target does not have such a Prophecy, nothing is revealed (which is information as well). If the target has multiple Prophecies of that type, the target chooses which to reveal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.