Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some corp agendas don't need many advancements and in terms of available actions it's possible to install it, advance it and then score it all on one turn, this felt a little cheap; am I missing a critical rule, some sort of "summoning sickness" equivalent to prevent or restrict the use of newly placed cards?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Usually the ones that can be played and scored in the same turn have an effect you will miss if you do so.

NBN has one that gives the runner two tags on the turn it is scored and then removes two tags at the end of that turn for example. If you play, advance and then wait till your next turn you can get a much greater effect from the agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well there are only 2 agendas currently that only need to be advanced twice. One of them loses its effect if scored in this way (Breaking News) and one of them does not (Hostile Takeover), so I think "Usually" isn't a good word here

Anyways, both of these are great agendas, though at only a single agenda point, they're not winning any games by themselves.

See SanSan City Grid, Biotic Labor, and Astroscript Pilot Program for ways in which an actual strategy can be built around scoring agendas out of hand. This is typically called "fast advance" and is a strong Corp deck-type.

A runner facing fast advance needs to keep pressure on HQ and R&D, and suppress the Corp's economy + trash SanSan as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a follow-on question to this.

If a agenda is installed (creating a remote server with no ice, upgrades etc) and scored the same turn, does the remote server still exist as empty server with no ice?

There are situations where is would be very useful to have an empty server that can be loaded up with ice before having to risk asset/agenda/upgrade there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
You can install an ice on an empty server, and can create as many as you like.

If there's no ice protecting or cards in a remote server, that server doesn't exist for gameplay purposes. If there is either an ice protecting it, or a card in a server(asset, agenda, or upgrade), that serves to be a fort that can be run on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jorum wrote:
I have a follow-on question to this.

If a agenda is installed (creating a remote server with no ice, upgrades etc) and scored the same turn, does the remote server still exist as empty server with no ice?

There are situations where is would be very useful to have an empty server that can be loaded up with ice before having to risk asset/agenda/upgrade there.

A remote server only exists if there is a card IN (Asset, Agenda, Upgrade) or ON (ICE) it.

If there are no cards, there is no server.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
A remote server only exists if there is a card IN (Asset, Agenda, Upgrade) or ON (ICE) it.

If there are no cards, there is no server.

Just so.

Do note however that all 3 Central Servers are ALWAYS present, so archives exists even if it is empty (For purposes of Datasucker, Sneakdoor Beta, etc.) and a Criminal could run on HQ and collect credit's from Gabe's ability even if the Corp had no cards remaining in his hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why I said 'remote'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I certainly wasn't noting that for your benefit Byron, As I said with the the quote and "just so," what you said was absolutely the correct answer to to Mark's question. I just wanted to draw special attention to that distinction between remote and central servers just in-case Mark might have missed it.

After-all, it is possible someone could misinterpret "If there are no cards, there is no server." and not realize you are still referring only to remote servers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And to add further, with this answer, while Edwin obviously is playing this correctly and has the right answer, is a bit off in the specifics.
Edwin20er wrote:

You can install an ice on an empty server, and can create as many as you like.

An "empty server" is actually referenced in the rulebook. It is a server that has no Asset/Agenda/Upgrade in it. It does however by necesity have ice installed on it; otherwise there wouldn't even be a server to call empty in the first place

Edwin20er wrote:
If there's no ice protecting or cards in a remote server, that server doesn't exist for gameplay purposes. If there is either an ice protecting it, or a card in a server(asset, agenda, or upgrade), that serves to be a fort that can be run on.

This is confusing. It's impossible for there to be no ice on or cards in a remote server. There's not some server there to not have cards in or on and to not exist "for gameplay purposes." There just isn't a server at all. I'd say "it doesn't exist for any purposes" except that that too would miss the point, as the use of "it" would contridict that very statement.

Edwin20er wrote:
If there is either an ice protecting it, or a card in a server(asset, agenda, or upgrade), that serves to be a fort that can be run on.

Any server can be run on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarification. I was under misunderstanding that you had to install asset or agenda to "make" remote server before you can ICE it. Being able to create the ICE first makes things *alot* easier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is common for system administrators to prepare the defenses on a Server prior to installing content on it.

This allows Headquarters to determine when best to deploy the various Assets, Upgrades and Agenda that R&D is providing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
makes sense. It did seem hard as hell to get anything down and protected quick enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.