Subject: spacing of enemy ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I believe the counters represent the ship and the space between friendly ships in formation.

Can your ships sail into, over and thru the enemy line? Even if it is a solid line of counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Kraft
Germany
Burghausen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they can. The ships as pictured show the ship and the space between ships which is much bigger than the ship itself. Therefore ships can move through the line of other ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is scale distortion. Ships often maneuvered with 500 yard intervals between ships. I wouldn't allow ships to go through another formation without a substantial chance of ramming. Also, if ships do that, then ships following behind should also have a chance of ramming, as ships will need to slow or stop to avoid others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

thanks for the swift responses on a very old game! BGG is a great resource!

So a line of battle can just move over, thru an enemy line. the rules do not have any provision for collision tho, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
There is scale distortion. Ships often maneuvered with 500 yard intervals between ships. I wouldn't allow ships to go through another formation without a substantial chance of ramming. Also, if ships do that, then ships following behind should also have a chance of ramming, as ships will need to slow or stop to avoid others.

This depends on whether you are using the optional rule that allows the ship counters to be stacked. If you're not, then the distance between ships is great enough that the collision danger is reduced. If you are using the optional (and more realistic rule) then you probably should not allow capital ships to cross paths. I don't think there were any cases in the actual battle of captital ship formations interpenetrating. On the other hand, you should probably allow light ships to do it. It seems like it was a basic skill of DD skippering to dodge other ships -- even the DD formations alone involved an amazing number of ships sharing a pretty small piece of ocean without colliding very often. Avoiding getting in the path of a battleship steaming in a stately formation at a steady speed seems like small potatoes compared to managing to stay out of the way of a flotilla of speedy DDs moving at speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.