Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
After Friday Night Magic, a group of us decided it was time for a game of Battlestar Glactica!

We had six players. In turn order:

Ian, playing Chief Galen Tyrol (Support)
Dave, playing Cally (Support)
Tom, playing Gaius Baltar
Myself, Sarah, playing Helena Cain
Mark, playing Lee Adama
and Matt, playing Boomer.

The loyalty cards were dealt, a Sympathetic Cylon was included after the dealing and we were away! The early game seemed pretty smooth -- Ian destroyed some Cylon ships with Galactica's weapons and drew his Crisis, which would allow him to brig a player if passed.

Matt, new to the game, put a card into the check which according to Ian (who was dealing out all the cards) he couldn't have had because he didn't ask for a matching colour in his starting setup!

We passed the check and Ian decided to put Boomer in the brig as a result!

Dave's first turn however revealed a Surprise Assault which setup a lot of enemy ships, including Heavy Raiders!

President Baltar (Tom) went into the President's office and authorised some Brutal Force, destroying a Heavy Raider.

The situation on the board looked bad and on my first turn of the game I activated Helena's once per game ability, destroying two Civilian ships to jump the fleet. We lost 2 population and 1 morale and the fleet jumped 2 distance to Deep Space, losing 1 fuel and 1 morale.

Mark, playing Lee, had little to do so he spent his turn drawing a card in the research office while Boomer tried to get out of the Brig (she failed, mostly because I talked people out of it -- she was going to be moved there shortly anyway!)

Ian moved to Pegasus and activated the engine room, assuring us a jump icon on the next card (which didn't have a jump icon on it!). It did however put 1 Centurion on the Boarding Track. Surely 1 centurion wouldn't be a problem.

The fleet jumped with relative ease for another 2 distance, which cost 1 fuel and 1 raptor. Nice!

The sleeper phase happens and Dave flips up the sympathetic Cylon, drawing himself a sympathetic agenda. Gaius decides to use his once per game now, and looks at Ian's cards, advising that he is, in fact, a Cylon!

So Admiral Cain through Tyrol the Cylon out the airlock. Ian flips his cards, and sure enough, Baltar was telling the truth. There was a bit of debate as to if he through his fellow Cylon under the bus or not, but we decided to trust the president ... for now.

Things got worse, more Heavy Raiders spawned, two actually boarded Galactica and Ian was spending his Cylon actions activating them more! (Remember that 1 Centurion that surely couldn't hurt? Yeah, it was bad.)

Boomer tried to get out of the brig and failed, mostly due to destiny and Cylon interference. With the Centurions 1 step away from taking over Glactica, Dave infiltrated the fleet and set about helping us fight the Centurions.

We succeeded, thanks to a timely Executive Order played on Dave after his turn. Phew!

More Cylon Attack cards came up and soon the board was swarming with raiders. Lee was out in his viper, and Mark decided rather than help, he'd just flip up his Cylon card, lower morale by one and take a Super Crisis. Hmm! (He didn't want to reveal, but he was struggling to come up with justification to /not/ use Lee's activate 6 vipers ability.)

Civillian ships fell left and right, but finally we jumped to New Caprica. With 4 Civilian ships left. They were put in lockdown, and we had 3 population, 4 Morale, plenty of fuel and food.

I set about unlocking ships, Baltar kept doing his president thing while Cally the Friendly Cylon spent our food to bring Galactica back. Boomer got to fight an occupation force, though the Cylons did actually destroy one of our ships (Population: 2).

Galactica jumped back and we started evacuating ships, though Dave started being weird, trying to delay the game to get his personal Sympathetic Cylon Agenda victory. Rather than evacuate ships, he came back to Galactica and started launching vipers everywhere, and moving them up to the raiders!

The Cylon's started cycling through Crisis cards to try and kill us with population (One card did hit the population, and we failed the skill check terribly. Population: 1, Morale: 2.)

Dave's crisis did however evacuate another ship for us!

Things were still looking grim though, as me being Admiral I'd need to jump away in order to win, but with 2 humans still on New Caprica it would set Morale to zero when they were executed.

The trusty president drew his cards for the turn, moved to the ship, threw down an Executive Order, allowing Boomer to evacuate with the last ship and drew a Crisis card that honestly wasn't relevant. On my turn I was able to come back to Galactica and order the fleet away, all civilian ships (all three of them) and all Humans safely aboard Galactica.

Humans win, but it was quite close! Another go around the board would probably have made victory for the Cylons.

Dave revealed his Cylon Agenda: Humans win, but 5 raptors or vipers are damaged/destroyed. Alas, he failed!

-----------
Thoughts:

I've never played New Caprica before, and we had two new players as well (Tom and Matt). Matt unfortunately didn't get to do much, spending the entire game before New Caprica in the Brig so it really didn't do much for him to enjoy a new game. Tom quite enjoyed the game, which is nice!

New Caprica adds a lot of time to the game, and I can sort of see why many people don't play with it. But I kind of like it. It feels hard for the Cylons though, especially when there's only 4 ships to unlock. I mean, the Humans have to get it down, but once they've unlocked them they can start just beating up occupation forces until the Battlestar jumps back. In this particular game at least, the Cylon's got frustrated on New Caprica because they felt they couldn't really influence the game rather than hope for a random Crisis Card draw that would affect a relevant resource.

Also, it took us some time to work out how to handle the Sympathetic Cylon/Cylon Leader along with the New Caprica expansion, but Ian hit up the internet and found some rules for us.

All in all I quite enjoyed the game, though I was surprised at how long New Caprica took (we flew through the game, and if that Centurion had of killed us back when, we would have ended the game in like just over an hour.) I imagine a lot of the time was learning the New Caprica board and locations though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Livia wrote:
-----------
Thoughts:

I've never played New Caprica before, and we had two new players as well (Tom and Matt). Matt unfortunately didn't get to do much, spending the entire game before New Caprica in the Brig so it really didn't do much for him to enjoy a new game. Tom quite enjoyed the game, which is nice!

New Caprica adds a lot of time to the game, and I can sort of see why many people don't play with it. But I kind of like it. It feels hard for the Cylons though, especially when there's only 4 ships to unlock. I mean, the Humans have to get it down, but once they've unlocked them they can start just beating up occupation forces until the Battlestar jumps back. In this particular game at least, the Cylon's got frustrated on New Caprica because they felt they couldn't really influence the game rather than hope for a random Crisis Card draw that would affect a relevant resource.

Also, it took us some time to work out how to handle the Sympathetic Cylon/Cylon Leader along with the New Caprica expansion, but Ian hit up the internet and found some rules for us.

All in all I quite enjoyed the game, though I was surprised at how long New Caprica took (we flew through the game, and if that Centurion had of killed us back when, we would have ended the game in like just over an hour.) I imagine a lot of the time was learning the New Caprica board and locations though.
I wouldn't wnat to play with NC all the time, but it is a nice change of pace. Others show disdain for it since NC provides even less options (or only 1 way to go) than being in space. While this is true (I completely disagree with each turn being so automatic and there being ONLY 1), the fact that when you play NC, you still spend the 1st 7 distance in space, so NC is still a super set of the usual game. I also like how alot of the pilots like Apollo or Starbuck who are normally strong are now nerfed since their abilities and specialties that involve vipers and space combat are temporarily unavailable.

And BTW, this should've been in the Pegasus forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Livia wrote:
-----------
Thoughts:

I wouldn't wnat to play with NC all the time, but it is a nice change of pace. Others show disdain for it since NC provides even less options (or only 1 way to go) than being in space. While this is true (I completely disagree with each turn being so automatic and there being ONLY 1), the fact that when you play NC, you still spend the 1st 7 distance in space, so NC is still a super set of the usual game. I also like how alot of the pilots like Apollo or Starbuck who are normally strong are now nerfed since their abilities and specialties that involve vipers and space combat are temporarily unavailable.

With Cally around, you could also argue it should have been in the Exodus forum...

As the Symp Cylon in this game, I would have been targeting Raptors more than Vipers - encouraging much Launching of Scouts...

Oh, and one minor thing: when an unrevealed Cylon is executed, they only reveal one Cylon loyalty card and (unless playing Exodus without Pegasus) immediately hand the spare to another player of their choice. It's most relevant when they had both Cylon loyalty cards and get to pick their ally, but it also lets them spread discord and distrust by handing a non-Cylon loyalty to someone to add suspicion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Livia wrote:
-----------
Thoughts:

With Cally around, you could also argue it should have been in the Exodus forum...

As the Symp Cylon in this game, I would have been targeting Raptors more than Vipers - encouraging much Launching of Scouts...

Oh, and one minor thing: when an unrevealed Cylon is executed, they only reveal one Cylon loyalty card and (unless playing Exodus without Pegasus) immediately hand the spare to another player of their choice. It's most relevant when they had both Cylon loyalty cards and get to pick their ally, but it also lets them spread discord and distrust by handing a non-Cylon loyalty to someone to add suspicion...
Hmmm, I missed Cally there.

BTW to others, distance has to be 6 or less for this Pegasus "automatic handoff", as stated in the OFAQ. When playing with Exodus + Confl. Loy., being able to hand off those cards is still a variable even when all cylon cards are accounted for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
When playing with Exodus + Confl. Loy., being able to hand off those cards is still a variable even when all cylon cards are accounted for.

Especially because of this I like the old Ress. Ship with Exodus better than the Pegasus one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

You know, I didn't even consider that it should be in a different forum! I only record base game plays, not expansion plays too, now.

But yeah, I didn't mind NC. Would play it again.

rmsgrey wrote:

You're right, we totally forget that Ian could give away his other cards. When Tom looked at his cards though he did tell us that there was only 1 Cylon card there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Livia wrote:
When Tom looked at his cards though he did tell us that there was only 1 Cylon card there.

So you compensated one mistake by another. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
umbaci wrote:
Livia wrote:
When Tom looked at his cards though he did tell us that there was only 1 Cylon card there.

Yeah, Tom wasn't aware he couldn't say that until after he had said it. His first game, I was bound to miss some rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Livia wrote:
umbaci wrote:
Livia wrote:

Yeah, Tom wasn't aware he couldn't say that until after he had said it. His first game, I was bound to miss some rule.

To be fair, it's only a suggested rule - more of a secrecy guideline, really. The whole last page of the official FAQ is explicitly only there for people who need an official ruling rather than having sensible local secrecy rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.