Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
Can we expect this by some time mid next year?

That's the idea. We're currently putting together a Kickstarter bid which we hope will allow us to get it printed this year. If you're interested, please spread the word - the more people we get helping us, the quicker it will be printed.

BrenoK wrote:
Also, there has been some talk on the 18xx yahoogroup that this would get renamed 1862. Is it true?

Correct! Duly renamed. It's the most appropriate year really - the year the Great Eastern Railway was formed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jaffe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already an 1862, isn't there, that would be confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jaffe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree, that's why people are working on things like 18PA, 18NY, 18OE, etc, so as NOT to duplicate any dates already in print, especially those professionally published.

Bad idea from a copyright standpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people will call it whatever they call it. Some will call it 1862, some 18EA, and maybe even other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In fairness the decision to use 1862 as a year has been in the pipeline for a very long time (about 6-7 years). I've discussed the reasons at length on the 18xx yahoo group. Keeping the name "18EA" has actually caused more confusion than 1862 would, as people kept confusing it with EU. Had this not been the case I might have considered sticking with EA. The close link between 1862 and the Great Eastern wasn't really something I could ignore either.

In terms of year overlaps, so far I am aware of issues with 1831, 1839, 1840, 1848, 1849, and 1850. There are doubtless others as well. In addition there's an overlap for any game numbered between 1861 and 1875 with an equivalent (US or elsewhere) civil war game. Regardless, there should be no copyright or trademark issues at all. As was proved to Intel, you can't trademark a number, and copyright doesn't cover titles, only artwork, content, and appearance.

As Eric says, people who know Helmut's 1862 may well call this game "East Anglia" or "EA" or whatever. The main distinction from a year-to-year point of view tends to be with the US games, in part because there's more of them than pretty much any other geographical location. My experience is that the numbers (or now letters) tend to be used for the US games (30, 46, 51, 56, 70, AL etc), and location (East Anglia, France, India, Spain, Russia etc) for the rest of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Intel decision was that you couldn't trademark a serial number, and it was the succession of chips with incrementing numbers (80186 80286 80386 80486) that invalided their attempt to protect the 80586. No, you probably can't trademark a year either :)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.