Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
A coworker of mine is looking to buy a Zombie game for his girlfriend. Either Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game or Zombicide are the two he's looking at. My question is, are there any (better) ones that involve Zombie.

Co-op is okay
They'll likely be more than two, probably at least 4
Must have Zombies
He's what we'd refer to as a casual gamer, I don't know her, but she brought the two games to his attention. Which he then asked my opinion about. I know nothing about Zombie games. Not my thing.

Thanks for your time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kaiser
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge zombie aficionado myself, but of the games I have played, and given your friend's co-op preference, I would go for Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game. I played Zombies!!! which plays an amount of people that is similar to what you are looking for, but is more competitive than co-op. The only other game that I have played of that nature is ZombieTown which played up to 6, but wasn't co-op by nature. There can be a tenuous truce, and if I remember correctly, a shared win condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pacey
United States
Dexter
Michigan
flag msg tools
Jayhawk
badge
KU
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that those are the two best zombie games out there right now.

I feel like LNoE gives more bang for your buck. You can get the base game and the growing hunger expansion for less than just the base game of Zombicide.

Zombicide does have minis that are easier to tell apart because each hero is cast in a different color. The LNoE heroes benefit greatly from a little painting to help tell them apart. Zombicide also seems to have a much more customizable board.

If I were giving a friend one zombie game of at least light-medium weight I would go with LNoE. I think it is a lot more thematic and has more fun objectives and scenarios. The only reason I would go with Zombicide over LNoE is if I thought that co-op would be a lot better for my friend.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite zombie game is Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead. It plays a lot like Pandemic, with a smattering of Risk thrown in. I like it because you can battle the zombies using technology or military might and you can play it multi-player or solitaire (although, the multi-player version is very much like each person playing solitaire against the zombies - - everyone controls a continent and tries to drive the zombies out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Last Night ON Earth... It is a very fun game for casual gamers and gamers a like.

I heard decent things about Zombicide...except that there are a lot of little things to manage in that game.

ZIMP (Zombie in my Pocket)- PnP you can find on here solo play though...

Lighter party filler style games.

Zombie Fluxx

Zombie Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aiken Drum wrote:

Co-op is okay
They'll likely be more than two, probably at least 4
Must have Zombies
He's what we'd refer to as a casual gamer, I don't know her, but she brought the two games to his attention.

Those two games are the best zombie-themed titles out now. Your coworker really can't go wrong with either, but to address the criteria you mention:

Last Night on Earth is a competitive game, but if you play with more than two players, you can form co-op teams. Zombicide is strictly co-op.

LNOE plays best with either two or four players, IMO. You can add more, but the competitive aspect is what makes the game work. Zombicide works fine with only a few players, but its sweet spot is with 4-6.

The zombies in LNOE's starter set are generic, slow-moving types. Expansions and some scenarios add zombies with additional abilities. Zombicide comes with slow zombies, fast-moving "28 Days Later" types, and two types of large and hard to kill zombies.

Either one is fine for casual gamers. They're a step up in difficulty from mass-market and party games, but each really has only a handful of basic rules to know, with everything else printed on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check these threads:

Best zombie-themed game for gamers?

Zombie Games

Need a good zombie game!

BGG recommend me a ZOMBIE GAME

Zombie game recommendations

What the best ZOMBIE BOARDGAME?

Which Zombie Game??

Best Zombie Game?

Best Zombie Game

What are the best Zombie-themed games?

What's the best Zombie game for someone interested in Zombies

Best Zombie theme game...

Zombie-themed game?

Zombie Theme Games

Looking For a New Zombie Game

Zombie/Survival Horror

Recommend me a Zombie game for a coworker

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help too much here, as I've only played a total of three zombie games. But here's my take on those three:

Zombies!!! is a slogging drag that goes on much, much too long for what's a very random game. Skip it.

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game does a very good job of generating a movie-like experience with lots of cool events that occur. The gameplay is fairly shallow; you'll occasionally come up with clever tactics and good card play combos, but not usually. It's probably a game that casual gamers could play fine with an experienced player to teach them, but they might not do so well learning it for themselves. Overall I'd say it's your best pick of the bunch.

Zombicide requires a bit more tactics than LNoE. It's a co-op rather than a team game, so everyone works together - YMMV on whether that's a good thing or not. It's more of a shoot-em-up; lots of easy to kill zombies, lots of firepower. The rules are a mess and the tactics are confusing, which could be a problem for casual players. And some of the scenarios really don't work well. If they can get into it, I think it might be good, but overall I think LNoE is a much better bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I get pretty much any zombie game that comes out and Last Night On Earth and Zombicide are indeed the two best available right now although Zpocalypse may very well mix that up.

Mall of Horror is interesting as well but at the end of the day has very little to do with zombies. They're basically just a reason to screw each other over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Last Night On Earth
I have both Zombicide and LNOE and I like them both,but as mentioned I think the rules is what brings the game down for me. But if your a person who doesnt mind house ruling the hell out of a game,then Zombicide might be more of a game for you with giant maps and lots of zombies.
LNOE,is a better game once you find the scenarios that work best for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks all for your very good and thoughtful input. I will suggest Last Night On Earth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.