Monsterpocalypse» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm pretty confused about the hit and run trigger. In the strategy guides it talks about how if you have hit and run you can brawl an enemy off of a objective space and then advance onto it. But the way that resolving attacks works in the rule book wouldn't allow this to happen.

This is the way that the timing of an attack is laid out in the rulebook
1) attacking player rolls dice
2) Resolve advantages that apply
3) Resolve power attack effects
4) Resolve the attacking figure's triggers
5) Resolve reactions that apply
6) apply damage and remove destroyed figures from the battle map.

So triggers happen before the model is removed. So someone with hit and run would hit an enemy advance three spaces (they couldn't move into their space because they're still on the board) enemy reactions take effect and then the model is removed. So how is this supposed to work like it is laid out in the strategy guide?

Also if it does work like it is laid out in the strategy guide how does it work if say Armodax brawls a building with live wire? Would he be able to get away using hit and run or would he get to advance after the live wire trigger went off?

And I have one question about rampaging.
The rulebook says that a rampaging monster is immune to hazards in its path. Is it talking about hazards he creates or all hazards? I think it is all hazards I just want to double check this.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A) You are correct. Removing figures takes place in step six, so you cannot move in a space that will be freed a destroyed figure using Hit & Run. The guide is wrong in that case.

B)Armodax would be able to get away from the Live Wire reaction:

4) Resolve the attacking figure's triggers-moving from Hit & Run
5) Resolve reactions that apply-Live Wire

C)All Hazards in their path. If you Rampage through a building, it doesn't create a Hazard until you are done with the Rampage and in your end location. This puts you past any new Hazards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response. That hit and run confusion was really bothering me.

and on the question about rampaging and being immune to hazards in its path. I was asking if there was already a hazard on the board from a previous turn and a monster rampages through it is he immune to it? So could ground bound monsters use rampage as a way to move through hazards without being damaged by them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Rampaging monster will NOT take damage from existing Hazards in it's path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
After playing a game last night I came up with another question. If someone with flank is participating in a combined melee attack but isn't leading the attack does their flank still apply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flank applies whether the flanker is leading or just participating. As long as there is another figure participating in the attack that can benefit from flank, then it applies.
I had a little confusion on this myself when I started playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite.

Quote:

SkillS
A figure’s skills are always in effect while it is on the battle map.

FLANK—Enemies within 2 spaces of this figure are -1 DEF from brawl attacks made by other AGN figures.

The figure with Flank doesn't have to participate in the attack, just be within 2 spaces. So a unit with Flank can help a monster making a brawl attack and vice-versa. A well placed Unit with Flank can benefit multiple attacks during a round.

A skill's description will say "If this figure participates in an attack..." if it needs to participating in an attack for the skill to be in effect.

Triggers can only be used while making an attack, and usually only the Triggers of the figure leading the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Donald wrote:
Not quite.

Quote:

SkillS
A figure’s skills are always in effect while it is on the battle map.

FLANK—Enemies within 2 spaces of this figure are -1 DEF from brawl attacks made by other AGN figures.

The figure with Flank doesn't have to participate in the attack, just be within 2 spaces. So a unit with Flank can help a monster making a brawl attack and vice-versa. A well placed Unit with Flank can benefit multiple attacks during a round.

A skill's description will say "If this figure participates in an attack..." if it needs to participating in an attack for the skill to be in effect.

Triggers can only be used while making an attack, and usually only the Triggers of the figure leading the attack.

Oh yeah I knew that flank would apply even if the flanking figure wasn't part of the attack. The question came up when I had a couple of raptixes doing a combined brawl attack and no other units were around

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My response was directed mostly at Max.

Only Triggers need to come from the figure leading the attack. Skills can come from any figure as long as that skill applies to the situation. So, a more direct response:

thekingofblades wrote:
If someone with flank is participating in a combined melee attack but isn't leading the attack does their flank still apply?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I knew that. I just didn't write my answer clearly enough. Thanks for clarifying Donald.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.